Win2K GP not getting applied on boot

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Win2K GP. It's not
getting applied upon boot, but is applied at some point
later. This is a problem, as I've set windows updates to
update upon boot, if not on at 3am. I have an OU that I
have the policy applied to, and this OU contains users. I
have another OU underneath that OU called Workstations,
which includes machines. The Workstation OU inherits the
policy from the first tier OU. It's just getting delayed
in the morning. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Tom

Is their an Event ID 1704 in the application log indicating security policy was
applied at boot up? If there was then you have a problem with that particular setting
configuration. Make sure you computers point only to domain controllers for their
preferred dns servers in tcp/ip properties as shown by Ipconfig /all. --- Steve

"Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem with my Win2K GP. It's not
> getting applied upon boot, but is applied at some point
> later. This is a problem, as I've set windows updates to
> update upon boot, if not on at 3am. I have an OU that I
> have the policy applied to, and this OU contains users. I
> have another OU underneath that OU called Workstations,
> which includes machines. The Workstation OU inherits the
> policy from the first tier OU. It's just getting delayed
> in the morning. PLEASE HELP!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Steve,

The systems are DHCP, and they point to the domain
controller that they're getting the policy from for DNS. I
did get the 1704 event that the security policy was
applied, but it wasn't the GP, but a local policy it
appears. The GP gets applied later, but that screws up my
Windows Updates on boot. Anything else to check?

Thanks,

Tom

You could run gpresult right after boot up on a computer and it will tell you the
computer policies that were applied and the last time they were applied. I can not
think of anything else offhand. I suggest that you may also want to post in the
Microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs newsgroup which concentrates on such issues. ---