NWN MacPC save game transfer?

Last response: in Video Games
July 19, 2004 11:02:09 AM

Hi:

I got NWN a year ago when it came out for the Mac, and have played both
expansions as well. But, as I'm a 'dual platform' gamer, I seem to end up
with both Mac & PC versions of games I love ... like NWN. So I have picked
up a cheap copy on eBay.

My question - I'm in Luskan as a solo Sorceror on the OC, and want to bring
that game over to the PC when I get it (I'm playing Icewind Dale on the
Mac). Anyone know if that is possible? And how? Is it as simple as
pulling the corresponding 'save' directory across?

Thanks,

Mike
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 10:27:23 PM

Michael Anderson wrote:

> My question - I'm in Luskan as a solo Sorceror on the OC, and want to
> bring that game over to the PC when I get it (I'm playing Icewind
> Dale on the Mac). Anyone know if that is possible? And how? Is it
> as simple as pulling the corresponding 'save' directory across?

If the Mac version stores the objects and variables in the same manner as
the PC does, a simple copy action of the save folders should do it. If that
doesn't work, you will probably have to finish the running chapter on the
Mac, go into chapter 3 and save the character immediately after the
beginning. If you copy the codewords which open the higher chapters from the
old nwnplayer.ini file to the new system, the options "New Game" and
"Chapter Three" will show up.

HTH
Hans
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 11:51:33 PM

Hans Wein wrote:

> If the Mac version stores the objects and variables in the same manner as
> the PC does, a simple copy action of the save folders should do it. If that
> doesn't work,

I don't know for a fact that they do or don't work, but there is no way
that I personally would invest play-time into a savegame that was from a
different platform.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:52:01 AM

Michael Anderson wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I got NWN a year ago when it came out for the Mac, and have played both
> expansions as well. But, as I'm a 'dual platform' gamer, I seem to end up
> with both Mac & PC versions of games I love ... like NWN. So I have picked
> up a cheap copy on eBay.
>
> My question - I'm in Luskan as a solo Sorceror on the OC, and want to bring
> that game over to the PC when I get it (I'm playing Icewind Dale on the
> Mac). Anyone know if that is possible? And how? Is it as simple as
> pulling the corresponding 'save' directory across?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Yes, the save games are portable. Just make sure that if you burn them
to a CD in order to copy them across, that the files/folders are not
read-only.

--Wendell
!