Windows XP/2000 licensing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over W2K.
Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is attached
to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version XP, or
the upgrade version?

Mike
12 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 licensing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to this.
    As far as Microsoft is concerned, no, you can not resell the 2000 license.
    It is an OEM product, and the OEM EULA applies to it, which prohibits the
    resale of the license without the accompanying hardware.

    --LB

    "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    > Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
    > pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    W2K.
    > Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    attached
    > to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version XP,
    or
    > the upgrade version?
    >
    > Mike

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In addition to EULA restrictions, if it's an OEM version of W2K, more than
    likely it is BIOS liked and tied to the original hardware.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
    > pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    > W2K. Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    > attached to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full
    > version XP, or the upgrade version?
    >
    > Mike

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    What about if it was not oem. If I have hologramed windows 2000 disks, but
    do not have the COA stickers?

    "Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to this.
    > As far as Microsoft is concerned, no, you can not resell the 2000 license.
    > It is an OEM product, and the OEM EULA applies to it, which prohibits the
    > resale of the license without the accompanying hardware.
    >
    > --LB
    >
    > "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    >> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows
    >> 2000
    >> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    > W2K.
    >> Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    > attached
    >> to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version XP,
    > or
    >> the upgrade version?
    >>
    >> Mike

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If it was a retail version you can transfer the license as long as it
    doesn't exist in two places at the same time. But if the OS was
    preinstalled by the manufacturer, I'd bet good money it's OEM. Do you have
    the manual? If it says in there something along the lines of "only for
    distribution with a new PC," it's OEM.

    > What about if it was not oem. If I have hologramed windows 2000 disks,
    but
    > do not have the COA stickers?
    >

    > "Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to
    this.
    > > As far as Microsoft is concerned, no, you can not resell the 2000
    license.
    > > It is an OEM product, and the OEM EULA applies to it, which prohibits
    the
    > > resale of the license without the accompanying hardware.
    > >
    > > --LB
    > >
    > > "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    > >> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows
    > >> 2000
    > >> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    > > W2K.
    > >> Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    > > attached
    > >> to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version
    XP,
    > > or
    > >> the upgrade version?
    > >>
    > >> Mike

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Be sure to advise the prospective buyers that the COA sticker is not
    available. The license for a retail copy of Windows is transferable as long
    as you have deleted the installation from your machine.

    "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    > What about if it was not oem. If I have hologramed windows 2000 disks,
    > but do not have the COA stickers?
    >

    > "Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to this.
    >> As far as Microsoft is concerned, no, you can not resell the 2000
    >> license.
    >> It is an OEM product, and the OEM EULA applies to it, which prohibits the
    >> resale of the license without the accompanying hardware.
    >>
    >> --LB
    >>
    >> "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    >>> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows
    >>> 2000
    >>> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    >> W2K.
    >>> Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    >> attached
    >>> to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version
    >>> XP,
    >> or
    >>> the upgrade version?
    >>>
    >>> Mike

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Mike;
    The CDs without the COA are nothing more than poor quality coasters.
    You need the CD, Product Key, COA etc to transfer a valid license.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    > What about if it was not oem. If I have hologramed windows 2000 disks,
    > but do not have the COA stickers?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to this.

    I happily stand corrected. :)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    No - you cannot transfer the license.
    Versions of Windows that ship pre-installed on a computer (like from Dell)
    are OEM copies, and carry special licensing restrictions. Part of the
    license dictates that the license is "married" to that computer for the rest
    of its functional life. It cannot be transferred to another machine.

    --
    Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
    MS-MVP - Windows Setup / Deployment

    "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    > Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
    > pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    > W2K. Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    > attached to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full
    > version XP, or the upgrade version?
    >
    > Mike

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    > Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows
    > 2000 pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean
    > install over W2K. Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What
    > if the COA is attached to the computer chassis? Does it matter
    > if I bought the Full version XP, or the upgrade version?

    Do you want to know legally, or what you can get away with?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    If you bought the Upgrade version of XP and used the Windows 2000 CD to
    satisfy the request for a qualifying product when you did the clean install
    with the XP CD then the Windows 2000 license is tied to the computer because
    you had to use it to satisfy the XP install.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    > Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
    > pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    W2K.
    > Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    attached
    > to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version XP,
    or
    > the upgrade version?
    >
    > Mike

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You need to consult the specific terms of the EULA that was supplied with
    the DELL and with the version of Windows that came with it, but most
    packages such as this tie the software to the hardware, and you are not
    entitled to sell the software separately.

    If you bought the upgrade version of XP then the original software and the
    upgrade are now considered a single licence, and while you continue to use
    that version of XP you could not sell W2K (the 'qualifying product')
    separately. This will be set out in the XP EULA.

    Whether you sell the licence or give it away for free makes no difference.
    --
    "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    > Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
    > pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    > W2K. Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    > attached to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full
    > version XP, or the upgrade version?
    >
    > Mike

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Windows 2000 would more than likely be OEM which means it probably won't
    work on anything other than the original hardware (in any case OEM licence
    is not intended to be used on hardware other than the original machine) so
    short answer is "No".

    For upgrading/installing XP you will need a previous licenced version of
    Windows which qualifies as the upgrade product to upgrade to XP with if you
    use the upgrade versopm, however OEM Windows 2000 (that came on your PC
    originally) mayy or may not qualify as a upgrade product.

    And you'd need that earlier version copy everytime you had to reinstall XP,
    so if you did sell the 2000 licence/disk you'd be in trouble.

    You'd be better using the Full version.

    "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    > Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
    > pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
    > W2K. Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
    > attached to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full
    > version XP, or the upgrade version?
    >
    > Mike

Windows XP Computers Microsoft Windows 2000