Newbie Question - Core2Duo Installation

Whispering_Death

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Quick Q: Should I install the stock fan for my core2duo before or after I mount the motherboard?

I've read some sites that seem to indicate it's easiest to mount the fan first but the intel manual has it in capital letters to wait until "MOTHERBOARD IS INSTALLED IN THE CHASSIS".

What's a newbie to do?

Yeah, what JumpingJack said is very good advice.
I too find it's much easier to install the CPU, heatsink and memory with the board out of the case. I like to place a piece of cardboard on a good flat solid surface, like the kitchen table, lay the motherboard on that, install everything there. Make sure to ground yourself, then gently lay it in place, line up the standoffs, and screw it down! The most annoying thing is the plate at the back of the case where USB, sound, com ports and such are. Sometimes that stinking little thing can be a pain to get to line up and fit properly. If you are going to draw blood during a build, that is one place to be on the lookout, the edges of it are pretty sharp.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Also depends on the case. if you have a removable mobo tray, it might not slide in/out with the heatsink in place. otherwise, doesn't matter. 8)

pignoli

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
The most annoying thing is the plate at the back of the case where USB, sound, com ports and such are. Sometimes that stinking little thing can be a pain to get to line up and fit properly. If you are going to draw blood during a build, that is one place to be on the lookout, the edges of it are pretty sharp.

Haha, those are little b*****ds, sliced the end of my finger open on my one:( nearly got blood all over my shiney new case!