Loopback question

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I'm in the middle of deploying Office 2k3, via an
assigned computer installation policy... got word from
management they want to turn off the reading view in word
and customize a few things. Group Policy to the
rescue!... the only 'problem' is that we're not rolling
out office to everyone at the same time--groups of like
10 or 20 at a time. The ADM templates for Office are
user-based policies, and I need to apply them to the
computers.. because not all users have Office 2k3 on
their computer (and some never will).

I read on the loopback processing that it's intended
for "special use" computers, like in a lab or whatever...
but that's not my case.

So, after my long winded post, I'm just looking for
confirmation that by enabling loopback of a user based
policy, it'll apply to the computer, regardless of the
user (seeing as how we don't put users and computers in
the same OU folder).

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Yes the loopback policy can be used with workstations as `you want.

As you stated the loopback policy is normally used on special use computers,
like terminal servers and other "public" machines where you want to have
different policies apply; they either Merge with the normal policies or
replace the normal policies that apply when the users logs into their
machine.

--
Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

from your issue.

"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the middle of deploying Office 2k3, via an
> assigned computer installation policy... got word from
> management they want to turn off the reading view in word
> and customize a few things. Group Policy to the
> rescue!... the only 'problem' is that we're not rolling
> out office to everyone at the same time--groups of like
> 10 or 20 at a time. The ADM templates for Office are
> user-based policies, and I need to apply them to the
> computers.. because not all users have Office 2k3 on
> their computer (and some never will).
>
> I read on the loopback processing that it's intended
> for "special use" computers, like in a lab or whatever...
> but that's not my case.
>
> So, after my long winded post, I'm just looking for
> confirmation that by enabling loopback of a user based
> policy, it'll apply to the computer, regardless of the
> user (seeing as how we don't put users and computers in
> the same OU folder).
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ken

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Hi Gary... thanks for getting back to me

One follow-up question... will enabling loopback on one
policy set loopback for all GPO's that we've written?
And will there be any negative ramifications to that?

Thanks again

Ken

confers no rights.

>"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I'm in the middle of deploying Office 2k3, via an
>> assigned computer installation policy... got word from
>> management they want to turn off the reading view in
word
>> and customize a few things. Group Policy to the
>> rescue!... the only 'problem' is that we're not rolling
>> out office to everyone at the same time--groups of like
>> 10 or 20 at a time. The ADM templates for Office are
>> user-based policies, and I need to apply them to the
>> computers.. because not all users have Office 2k3 on
>> their computer (and some never will).
>>
>> I read on the loopback processing that it's intended
>> for "special use" computers, like in a lab or
whatever...
>> but that's not my case.
>>
>> So, after my long winded post, I'm just looking for
>> confirmation that by enabling loopback of a user based
>> policy, it'll apply to the computer, regardless of the
>> user (seeing as how we don't put users and computers in
>> the same OU folder).
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Ken
>

>.

Loopback policy processing is not policy specific. It is just a registry
entry that determines what mode to do it in. So if it is set high enough it
will effectively be enabled for all policies that you write.

Enabling loopback policy processing will do the following:

Merge mode:
===
It will process the policies as normal for the user account location. Then
process polices that are in the machine account path and apply the User
portions of those. This could lead to some policies applying twice to users
if their user accounts and machine accounts share an OU path (or part of
one).

Replace mode:
===
It will ignore normal policies for the user account and gather group
policies in the computer account path and apply the User portions of those.

Related article:
231287 Loopback Processing of Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231287