Who could take over AMD?

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
There's been a lot of hand wringing recently about AMD's future. I tend to dismiss arguments about AMD's viability. Look at all the ups and downs at Apple through its 30 year history. However I am concerned that some other corporation might buy it out. AMD's market cap is currently hovering ~ 10B US$, which makes it a very tempting target even at 20B. Which companies could afford AMD and how would they stand to benefit from such an acquisition? IBM, Dell, HP, or even Apple? Am I missing any? And what would be the consequences for the PC market? PC makers like HP, Dell or Apple would use most of the production for in-house prebuilt systems, leaving everyone else at the mercy of Intel. :( I want AMD to survive on its own but if someone were to buy it I guess I'd vote for IBM.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I remember back in 2002 when AMD's stock was down to $3 a share and its market cap was under $700 million... Yet nobody bought it out. Therefore, I don't think it will ever happen.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I remember back in 2002 when AMD's stock was down to $3 a share and its market cap was under $700 million... Yet nobody bought it out. Therefore, I don't think it will ever happen.
Good point. Hopefully you're right.

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006

That would have been a bargain, just for the FAB AMD owned back then. I'm truly surprised no-one bought AMD at that time.