Flash player

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

Has anyone tried distributing the Macromedia Flash player with Group Policy?
I'm wondering if browser plugins like this can be used with software
deployment?

"Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried distributing the Macromedia Flash player with Group
Policy?
> I'm wondering if browser plugins like this can be used with software
> deployment?

Yes, works fine. I seem to recall you need to get a special .msi from
Macromedia's website to do it though.

AndyC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

Did you deploy through a machine policy or a user policy (publish). When I
published the app and a non-administrative user attemtpts to install, they
get an error message that administrative rights are required to
install(looks like a message from the installer, not a windows message)

Thanks

Ed Thurber

"AndyC" <andyc69@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone tried distributing the Macromedia Flash player with Group
> Policy?
> > I'm wondering if browser plugins like this can be used with software
> > deployment?
>
> Yes, works fine. I seem to recall you need to get a special .msi from
> Macromedia's website to do it though.
>
> AndyC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

Found it, thanks. This link explains how to get it if anyone else is
interested.
http://www.macromedia.com/support/shockwave/info/licensing/faq.html#item-5

"AndyC" <andyc69@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone tried distributing the Macromedia Flash player with Group
> Policy?
> > I'm wondering if browser plugins like this can be used with software
> > deployment?
>
> Yes, works fine. I seem to recall you need to get a special .msi from
> Macromedia's website to do it though.
>
> AndyC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

I assigned it via machine policy, as I assumed most of our users would need
it at some point. If you need ot publish it you might need to look into the
'Install with elevated privileges' policy option.

AndyC

"Ed Thurber" <no.email@address.com> wrote in message
> Did you deploy through a machine policy or a user policy (publish). When
> published the app and a non-administrative user attemtpts to install, they
> get an error message that administrative rights are required to
> install(looks like a message from the installer, not a windows message)
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed Thurber
>
> "AndyC" <andyc69@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Has anyone tried distributing the Macromedia Flash player with Group
> > Policy?
> > > I'm wondering if browser plugins like this can be used with software
> > > deployment?
> >
> > Yes, works fine. I seem to recall you need to get a special .msi from
> > Macromedia's website to do it though.
> >
> > AndyC

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your great information sharing, I believe many people will
benefit from your experiences.

Here are some documents for software deployment policy. Wish it helps.

302430 How to assign software to a specific group by using a Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302430

324750 How To Assign Software to a Specific Group By Using a Group Policy in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324750

Thank you again for using our Newsgroup!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation