Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 Duo E6300..

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
Last response: in CPUs
January 18, 2007 2:36:28 AM

Still a novice when it comes to this stuff so bare with me. I've been thinking about upgrading to a Core 2 Duo 1.86 e6300 with the asrock 775dual motherboard, pluggin in 1 gig of DDR ram, and a geforce 6800GS OC AGP model. Would this build be any good for things like ripping DVD and playing the occasional game like World of warcraft and counter strike source? Not at the same time, but just overall. I'm tryin not to spend over 350$ I already have the 6800 and ram just lookin to buy the processor and mobo, and possibly a new PSU.

Anyhow any thoughts are appreciated.

More about : core duo e6300

January 18, 2007 2:48:39 AM

Thanks for the info Jumping Jack. I have never even heard of Fry's, i live close to the middle of nowhere and the only place to go for computer equipment is *shudder* ...Staples...

But all in all i should get some good framerates?
January 18, 2007 3:16:14 AM

Ok, I thought about it for a few minutes and the only thing i really do on my computer is play the occasional game so i guess I should ask what processor/mobo combo would best suit that? The reason i picked out the asrock 775dual is because i have a nice AGP card now but it also gave me the option to upgrade to PCIE in the future. What do you think my best course would be? And trying to not break 300-350$
Related resources
January 18, 2007 3:20:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Jumping Jack. I have never even heard of Fry's, i live close to the middle of nowhere and the only place to go for computer equipment is *shudder* ...Staples...

Funny I *shudder* at the thought of Fry's.... not so much their prices as the overall higher rate of returns for defects or missing parts than anyone else I've dealt with.Good selection though for the most part (steep prices IMO on memory and CPU's though) ;) 
January 18, 2007 10:14:13 AM

Quote:

Your game framerates will largely be determined by your GPU. A 6800GS is getting on a bit and would struggle with some of the latest games regardless of what CPU you run.
January 18, 2007 10:31:10 AM

Quote:

Your game framerates will largely be determined by your GPU. A 6800GS is getting on a bit and would struggle with some of the latest games regardless of what CPU you run.

Well with my current Proccessor, when i plug in my 6800 i notice absolutely no difference in framerates.

And then again, hence why i was going for the 775 or 993dual sata-2, becuase i would get that option to upgrade to a better PCIE card in the future.

But when i plugin the 6800 there is no difference in framerates, and thats with going from a geforce 5200fx to the 6800. So i just figured my processor just couldn't handle it. The only games i play is world of warcraft and CS:source, and there was no improvement.
January 18, 2007 10:46:13 AM

Quote:
Still a novice when it comes to this stuff so bare with me. I've been thinking about upgrading to a Core 2 Duo 1.86 e6300 with the asrock 775dual motherboard, pluggin in 1 gig of DDR ram, and a geforce 6800GS OC AGP model. Would this build be any good for things like ripping DVD and playing the occasional game like World of warcraft and counter strike source? Not at the same time, but just overall. I'm tryin not to spend over 350$ I already have the 6800 and ram just lookin to buy the processor and mobo, and possibly a new PSU.

Anyhow any thoughts are appreciated.

I hope you mean DDR2 not to be precise but i work in a small computer shop and i've seen the results when sombody put (forced) ddr 400 into an M2N32-sli...... not pretty but smelly
January 18, 2007 11:51:47 AM

The mobo he is refering to supports ddr1 as well as ddr2. Its a great mobo actually for what you are trying to do. Running it with the ddr1 will give you no noticable difference (make sure you have a gig) vs. ddr2. It will oc a bit too. The biggest gain is that it will be alot faster than the setup you have now & play all games at good settings.

Have fun & goodluck.

ps. I had 1 w/the 6300 & just upgraded. Was very happy.
January 18, 2007 11:57:24 AM

Quote:

Well with my current Proccessor, when i plug in my 6800 i notice absolutely no difference in framerates.

And then again, hence why i was going for the 775 or 993dual sata-2, becuase i would get that option to upgrade to a better PCIE card in the future.

But when i plugin the 6800 there is no difference in framerates, and thats with going from a geforce 5200fx to the 6800. So i just figured my processor just couldn't handle it. The only games i play is world of warcraft and CS:source, and there was no improvement.
Your video card will see a signifcant difference in games made in the past year
January 18, 2007 12:05:45 PM

Forgot, I had the BFG 6800GS OC agp too. Was A great card & when I put it with the E6300, I could play all of my games from medium to high levels. Its a great upgrade for someone on a major budget.

If you download the Riva tuner, you can also unlock some pixel & shader pipes on that card, they are software masked. If you search the forums here you will find a couple of threads on how to do this. If you have any questions, PM me.

Peace!
January 18, 2007 12:59:15 PM

Quote:

What CPU did you have previously? I don't play WoW but from experience I know CS:S is quite CPU bound as well as GPU bound (if you turn on the HDR option) so a faster CPU in this case should help.
January 18, 2007 2:48:29 PM

i'm at work right now but i believe it was a P4 2.4 out of some old dell, it's a piece...

I mean its not unbareable, but my friend has a better processor than me but his GPU is not as good and he gets much better framerates in both games. I believe its a Sempron, not sure what speed though. I hear its all in the architecture, so i'm guessing my processor's architecture blows.

But what processor/mobo combo would go best with my 6800gs? AGP model.
January 18, 2007 3:19:05 PM

get tha 6300, you wont be disappointed. Gave me a 10FPS increase in oblivion when i did.

oh, and most weekends fry's has a 6300 w/ a ECS P4M800PRO-M for $169.00. Got 6 of em running and haven't had any problems. **knocks on wood**. Is supports DDR and DDR2, has AGP. It's hella cheap and later you can just spend the 100.00 on a lower end MOBO w/ PCI support when you are ready to move up.

I'm sure you can find a friend that lives near a Frys that would help you get it. I know i would.

Dru
January 18, 2007 4:27:03 PM

Yes, the ecs board is ok....but the asrock is alot better, i had both...ecs was slower in my benchies w/e6300, pc3200, & 6800gs oc agp.

There are volt mods out for the Asrock board too if your interested in overclocking.
!