Default Domain GPO LOST

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

,Hi,
Recently I was modifing the Domain GPO on our w2k dc/gc server(sp4) when I inadvertly deleted the Default domain GPO. I tried to add a new default GPO but that produces the same error "GPO Policy Error" "Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights. - Details "The system cannot find the specified path"
I've added and applied a new group policy object but can not seem to recover the default GPO. I searched the network for the unique name and search does not find it anywhere.
Is there hope for me or is the default GPO forever lost?

Is there a list of suggested GPO's that can be used to help create various security levels?

I really need help and will be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Here is a link to a fairly new tool that can restore it for you - RecreateDefpol . It
may also restore Domain Controller Security policy back to defaults - I am not quite
sure, but that is probably the least of your worries right now. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5b685ae-b7dd-4bb5-ab2a-976d6873129d&DisplayLang=en

"mipd" <mipd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BAAF988D-31D0-433D-A461-5C71B4E05D47@microsoft.com...
> ,Hi,
> Recently I was modifing the Domain GPO on our w2k dc/gc server(sp4) when I
inadvertly deleted the Default domain GPO. I tried to add a new default GPO but that
produces the same error "GPO Policy Error" "Failed to open the Group Policy Object.
You may not have appropriate rights. - Details "The system cannot find the specified
path"
> I've added and applied a new group policy object but can not seem to recover the
default GPO. I searched the network for the unique name and search does not find it
anywhere.
> Is there hope for me or is the default GPO forever lost?
>
> Is there a list of suggested GPO's that can be used to help create various security
levels?
>
> I really need help and will be greatly appreciative. Thank you.