How to deploy Office XP SP3 from group policy?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 17, 2004 7:48:25 PM

MS released Office XP SP3 in April.
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/updates/xp/Oxpsp3a....

Extracting the "OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe" gives two "msp"
files.
Is it possible to deploy msp files using group policy?

Is it feasible to repackage the Office XP SP3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Thanks
Kbalert
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 2:26:26 PM

using 3rd party apps or using sms server is a good way

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 2:19:32 PM

We have Group policy setup in place and deploy all the applications (non MS
products included
) through group policy. We do not have SMS or other 3rd party system
management tools.

Hence we would like to go with group policy based deployment only.

Does MS support repackaging the service packs?

--Karsudha
July 19, 2004 2:19:33 PM

Karsudha,

Using a third party application is not a very good idea - unless you are the
company selling the third party application! I mean, you can gladly use a
third party application to do this. There are some out on the market that
will help you with this. However, this is already built in to WIN2000 /
WIN2003 Group Policy!

All you need to do is to update the Administrative Installation Point with
SP3 and then go to the actual GPO itself and select 'redeploy'. You might
want to take a look at the Resource Kit for the particulars.

Essentially you will need to double-click on the file
"OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe" and give it a place to expand. You
will now have a 'mainsp3ff.msp' and a 'owc10sp3ff.msp' and a couple of other
files. We are going to look only at 'mainsp3ff.msp' right now. You will
need to update your Admin Install point via the command "msiexec /p
\\servername\sharename\mainsp3ff.msp /a \\servername\sharename\data1.msi
SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb" where mainsp3ff.msp is the Office XP update file
and data1.msi is the Office XP msi file.....Please consult the Resource Kit
for all the particulars.

HTH,

Cary

"Karsudha" <karsudha@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have Group policy setup in place and deploy all the applications (non
MS
> products included
> ) through group policy. We do not have SMS or other 3rd party system
> management tools.
>
> Hence we would like to go with group policy based deployment only.
>
> Does MS support repackaging the service packs?
>
> --Karsudha

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:35:05 PM

I looked at some of the Resource Kit tools (CIW, CMW etc) but they will not
be nay help to deploy the SP3.

Is it possible to use SUS for deploying the SP3?
SUS does suppport deploying win2k or XP service packs but does it support
office service packs also?

--Karsudha

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o wyb9fZbEHA.2760@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Karsudha,
>
> Using a third party application is not a very good idea - unless you are
the
> company selling the third party application! I mean, you can gladly use a
> third party application to do this. There are some out on the market that
> will help you with this. However, this is already built in to WIN2000 /
> WIN2003 Group Policy!
>
> All you need to do is to update the Administrative Installation Point with
> SP3 and then go to the actual GPO itself and select 'redeploy'. You might
> want to take a look at the Resource Kit for the particulars.
>
> Essentially you will need to double-click on the file
> "OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe" and give it a place to expand.
You
> will now have a 'mainsp3ff.msp' and a 'owc10sp3ff.msp' and a couple of
other
> files. We are going to look only at 'mainsp3ff.msp' right now. You will
> need to update your Admin Install point via the command "msiexec /p
> \\servername\sharename\mainsp3ff.msp /a \\servername\sharename\data1.msi
> SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb" where mainsp3ff.msp is the Office XP update file
> and data1.msi is the Office XP msi file.....Please consult the Resource
Kit
> for all the particulars.
>
> HTH,
>
> Cary
>

> "Karsudha" <karsudha@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > We have Group policy setup in place and deploy all the applications (non
> MS
> > products included
> > ) through group policy. We do not have SMS or other 3rd party system
> > management tools.
> >
> > Hence we would like to go with group policy based deployment only.
> >
> > Does MS support repackaging the service packs?
> >
> > --Karsudha

July 20, 2004 6:35:06 PM

Unfortunately, no. As far as I understand it, SUS can
only handle the stuff you would normally download via
Windows Update (Windows SP's, Hotfixes, IE hotfixes,
etc.) Perhaps SUS 2.0 (which I think is due to come out
this year) may be able to handle it.

I have read somewhere on here (and it may be this thread,
but it eludes me) that you CAN deploy OfficeXP sp3 via
group policy by expanding the exe file, and you should
get 2 folders, and you want to deal with the folder NOT
named w/ an OWC = Office Web Components.

Good luck, HTH

Ken

!