Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 9, 2004 6:54:21 AM

Hi gals & guys,

Any feedback or does anyone own this HDTV? Set doesn't have an OPTICAL
OUT, what does this connection do? Set does have (2) 1394 EEE connections
and an ATSC TUNER.

TIA, JR

More about : toshiba 57hx93 rptv

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 1:49:07 AM

I have it's little sister the 51HX93 and thoroughly enjoy it.

However, I have to use a cable box because Time Warner (San Antonio) keeps
relocating the HD signals or dropping them all together from the standard
digital cable feed.

This poses 2 problems and a couple of irritations.

The stretch modes on the set do not work with the cable box. It works with
a DVD player via component inputs but not with the STB. So, I have two
inputs for cable. One for watching the network or other HDTV programs and
one for digital cable (so I can use the stretch modes)

The sound level out of the cable box is lower than the set. This means I
occasionally get my ears pierced when switching inputs.

The downer is I paid an extra $700 for the built in tuner that I really
can't/don't use/need (most of the time).
The other irritation is that digital cable looks better using the built in
tuner which is another reason why I have an alternate input for cable.
Aside from the On demand features of digital cable, I see no reason for TW
not to transmit an HD signal that my tuner can lock onto. Except then they
couldn't charge me an extra $6.50 per month for the STB.

RichieP

!