I have just purchased a new multimedia keyboard for my Windows XP PC.

The problem is I live in the UK, but the keyboard has @ at key Shift-2, and
" at key Shift- '
The UK setting in Windows has these the opposite way round. If I change the
keyboard settings in XP to US, this makes them right, but I then have the
problem that the £ sign on Shift 3, shows on screen as a #

Is there anyway of sorting this out in XP, by remapping a key, or do I have
to look for another keyboard ?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ian

Alt key + 0163 will get you the £ English pound sign.

Courtesy of PABear

How to Configure Regional and Language Support for User Accounts: To add an
alternative keyboard layout/IME for an input language
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/regionalsup.asp

Windows Keyboard Layouts
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.aspx

Keyboard Layout Creator
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:cubj0d$42u$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
Ian C <barin.mrc@virgin.net> hunted and pecked:

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:46:21 -0000, Ian C wrote:

> I have just purchased a new multimedia keyboard for my Windows XP PC.
>
> The problem is I live in the UK, but the keyboard has @ at key Shift-2, and
> " at key Shift- '
> The UK setting in Windows has these the opposite way round. If I change the
> keyboard settings in XP to US, this makes them right, but I then have the
> problem that the £ sign on Shift 3, shows on screen as a #
>
> Is there anyway of sorting this out in XP, by remapping a key, or do I have
> to look for another keyboard ?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Ian

Regional and Language Options> Regional Options> choose your language and
use Customize to format date, time, currency to your liking.

Regional and Language Options> Languages> Details> Settings: select default
input language in top section. In middle section, scroll down to keyboard
and select preferred language here too.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

That's good info. Thanks

Ian C wrote:

>The problem is I live in the UK, but the keyboard has @ at key Shift-2, and
>" at key Shift- '
>The UK setting in Windows has these the opposite way round. If I change the
>keyboard settings in XP to US, this makes them right, but I then have the
>problem that the £ sign on Shift 3, shows on screen as a #

Go to Control Panel - Regional And Language Options. Take the Language
page and click Details.
There if you do not see United Kingdom under Keyboard for English in the
lower pane, click on Add and search for it in the lower drop down, so
you have English (United Kingdom) and United Kingdom in those two panes.
Click OK. Then in the parent page, select this combination in the
Default Input language in the top drop down, Apply, OK and Apply any
time it is available on the way as you OK out. Then close and restart
to bring it into use.