Sign in with
Your question

New X1950 Pro shuts down everything

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2007 4:51:58 AM

I assembled my new PC 2 days ago - very excited about having a PCI-e Graphics card (MSI Radeon x1950 Pro).

After setting up and running 3D mark - normal stufs I started running FEAR and tuning the performance - while testing the settings (fourth time round) the Pc went off - no warnings ....

its not PSU - i have a 500W supply in only 1 HDD.
Im also using the latest drivers from AIT ( 7.1 - 10 jan)

Can U help?

More about : x1950 pro shuts

January 18, 2007 7:48:53 AM

I intend to investigate the heat issues tonight

as far as PSU goes I went thourgh the steps on http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine to calculate the wattage I need - using that as a guideline i should be fine with the 500W supply - I do however want to check up om the current rating on the 12V rail.

At what temp does the graphics card shut down? I have not been able to find wherre it is set
Related resources
January 18, 2007 8:42:37 AM

well my psu has only got 22amps on the +12V rail but its never shut off on me. So im not sure what the lowest would be. It might just be 22 minimum for all i know.
January 18, 2007 9:37:49 AM

I'm not sure what temperature it shuts down at, but I know its going to be high, because the X1900 cards run very hot.
To eliminate that, you could set the fan speed to 100% using AtiTool, or open the case and point a desk fan in there. However, I'd guess it won't make a difference because power will be the problem.
I bought a one of these - http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=25405
which has solved the problem, and seemed to be the cheapest, easiest solution, rather than paying more for an expensive PSU...
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2007 9:54:53 AM

Quote:
I assembled my new PC 2 days ago - very excited about having a PCI-e Graphics card (MSI Radeon x1950 Pro).

After setting up and running 3D mark - normal stufs I started running FEAR and tuning the performance - while testing the settings (fourth time round) the Pc went off - no warnings ....

its not PSU - i have a 500W supply in only 1 HDD.
Im also using the latest drivers from AIT ( 7.1 - 10 jan)

Can U help?

oh god an MSI
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2007 11:18:17 AM

Check the card temps for sure, if it's too hot, I'd say you got a faulty card, or bad airflow in your case as this card should not run that hot.
If not hot, could be your PSU. Even though it is 500 watt, power supplies can be weak, or go bad. Never really know unless you have a way to test it, or swap with a known good one though. But even then, these cards are not as power hungry as the X1900 series.

My new ATI x1950 Pro (bought it last Sunday) runs pretty cool for a graphics card, 36C at idle and gets up around 60C after running Need for Speed Carbon for about 30 minutes, with everything at max setting. That's pretty cool, my old X850XT would hit 80C, but still never had problems even at that temp.

I have 1 fan in front, 1 small side fan, and one exhaust below the PSU in the back.

I am using a Raidmax Volcano Modular 550 watt power supply, which people say are not all that great, but all seems fine on my system even with 2 drives in RAID, a 3rd hard drive, 3 Optical drives, old, old 5.1 sound card, a power sucking/hot running slightly overclocked 4600X2 cpu, the X1950, and 3 case fans with lights.
January 19, 2007 4:34:03 AM

Thanks to those who tried to help.

The first thing i did was unplug the second monitor & uninstall the latest drivers and installed the drivers that shipped with the card.

I had a good look at the Graphics card temp while running 3dMark as well as Fear with all settings maxed -- GC runs up to 68C - the CPU gets to 55C and system temp is 44C :D 

after running for 4hours + I reinstalled the latest drivers and again did the beckmark things and so far all's well. Im planning a hard gaming weekend - so hold thumbs

(for the record - the PSU I have is only rated for 20A on the 12V - could i get more opinions on hoe much juice is required on the 12v rail)

and for those dissing my PC - YOU THY PUTTING A SYSTEM TOGETHER IN SOUTH AFRICA
January 19, 2007 4:59:45 AM

Just a nother thought / Question.

Did anyone else run 2 monitors from the x1950? I had a 19"wide LCD pannel (1440x900) and a 17" CRT (1024 x 768) hooked up when I had problems - I have not been brave enought to hook the second monitor up again.

The only thing i can think of is that running both monitors while gaming causes the card to overheat. I'll test this theory when Im brave enouth.
January 19, 2007 11:11:29 AM

You could always manually increase the fan speed to stop it from overheating.
It shouldn't be overheating doing what it's been designed to do anyway...
Have you only had problems with it when running 2 monitors?
January 19, 2007 11:33:13 AM

I run a Dell 2407 (1920X1200) & a KDS Crt (1600X1200) without any problems on my H.I.S. X1950pro IceQ3.
January 22, 2007 4:36:53 AM

I ve spent the whole weeekend gameing and no problems so Ill hook up tie 2nd monitor tonight and see if it causes problems - do I need a specific tool to up the fan speed on the GC ? I have not been able to find where to tune it in catalist controll pannel?
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2007 5:22:48 AM

ATI Tray Tools should do it. I think Ray Adams (author) has added x1950Pro compatibility. The other is ATITool, but I don't know if your card will be supported yet. With ATT you can set it to one value, you can grade it's speed over a temperature gradiant, or you can tell it to keep the temperature under a specified temp which will ramp the fan speed up to whatever gets it below the limit (which could end up at 100% if the limit is too low). I have used both, and like ATT the best. You have at your disposal all sorts of settings including clock speeds and voltage levels. You can also set up application profiles where you can force it to change clock/fan/voltage settings upon launch of a particular application (read game) and change them back after the application closes.
!