Win XP logon optimization and Group Policy

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

We have a Windows 2000 Active Directory domain with approx 160 clients, most of which are Windows XP. I have configured Software Installation through Group Policy and it works fine except the clients have to reboot twice (because of the logon optimization in Windows XP) before the package is successfully delivered. I know how to fix this on the client through the local group policy by enabling 'Always wait for the network...' (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon). However, that would require me "touching" every client on the network.

Is there a way that I can enable this local policy on the Domain level or OU level? The only options that I have found at the Domain or OU level are to allow logon and startup scripts to run synchronously...this doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Shawn

G

Hi Shawn.

See the link below on how to manage XP Pro computers in a W2K domain to take
advantage of the extra Group Policy settings available to XP Pro computers. ---
Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mngwinxp.mspx

"ShawnT" <ShawnT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:15389A0F-6EC1-4770-B1A3-415B2B8A5F65@microsoft.com...
> We have a Windows 2000 Active Directory domain with approx 160 clients, most of
which are Windows XP. I have configured Software Installation through Group Policy
and it works fine except the clients have to reboot twice (because of the logon
optimization in Windows XP) before the package is successfully delivered. I know how
to fix this on the client through the local group policy by enabling 'Always wait for
the network...' (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->
Logon). However, that would require me "touching" every client on the network.
>
> Is there a way that I can enable this local policy on the Domain level or OU level?
The only options that I have found at the Domain or OU level are to allow logon and
startup scripts to run synchronously...this doesn't seem to fix the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

G

Steve,

Thanks for the article. I wasn't sure if the Win XP system.adm template would work with the Win2k GP, but I imported the .adm and applied the change to the GP and everything is working correctly. Thanks for the help!
Shawn

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> Hi Shawn.
>
> See the link below on how to manage XP Pro computers in a W2K domain to take
> advantage of the extra Group Policy settings available to XP Pro computers. ---
> Steve
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mngwinxp.mspx
>
> "ShawnT" <ShawnT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:15389A0F-6EC1-4770-B1A3-415B2B8A5F65@microsoft.com...
> > We have a Windows 2000 Active Directory domain with approx 160 clients, most of
> which are Windows XP. I have configured Software Installation through Group Policy
> and it works fine except the clients have to reboot twice (because of the logon
> optimization in Windows XP) before the package is successfully delivered. I know how
> to fix this on the client through the local group policy by enabling 'Always wait for
> the network...' (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->
> Logon). However, that would require me "touching" every client on the network.
> >
> > Is there a way that I can enable this local policy on the Domain level or OU level?
> The only options that I have found at the Domain or OU level are to allow logon and
> startup scripts to run synchronously...this doesn't seem to fix the problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shawn
>
>
>