Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hmm...HD over Component...will this end in the future?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 9:08:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Will hollywood ever really clamp down on HD content over component, and only
allow HD content over DVI digital connections???

Just curious if older HDTV's are going to be come functionally obsolete long
before their lifespans are up...
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 9:08:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

HeadRusch (headrusch1@comcast.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Will hollywood ever really clamp down on HD content over component, and only
> allow HD content over DVI digital connections???

Since the FCC had ruled that cable companies may *not* down-res or disable
HD output over component video, that precedent should eventually hold
for all providers.

So, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/CatsAndDo...
AskDOJ@usdoj.gov |
uce@ftc.gov |
May 9, 2004 9:08:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <3Atnc.13232$xw3.896148@attbi_s04>,
headrusch1@comcast.net says...
> Will hollywood ever really clamp down on HD content over component, and only
> allow HD content over DVI digital connections???
>
> Just curious if older HDTV's are going to be come functionally obsolete long
> before their lifespans are up...
>
What in the world does Hollywood have to do with it?
They're the _last_ people in the world that would dictate
connectivity standards.

Given that component is a very viable and wide-spread
connectivity standard, it should remain available and side-
by-side with DVI (and whatever "standard" comes along next)
for many years.


--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 9:08:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"HeadRusch" <headrusch1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:3Atnc.13232$xw3.896148@attbi_s04...
> Will hollywood ever really clamp down on HD content over component, and
only
> allow HD content over DVI digital connections???
>
> Just curious if older HDTV's are going to be come functionally obsolete
long
> before their lifespans are up...

The FCC has said NO - repeatedly.

But if Hollywood can buy off congress and HD owners keep quiet - yes.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 11:42:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

> > Just curious if older HDTV's are going to be come functionally obsolete
long
> > before their lifespans are up...
> >
> What in the world does Hollywood have to do with it?
> They're the _last_ people in the world that would dictate
> connectivity standards.

Hollywood has tried to propose that the only medium for HD delivery in the
future
is through Copy-Protected Digital connection paths.

So that people who aren't using a copy-protected pathway would have their
signal
"downgraded" to 480p instead of 720p/1080i......

> Given that component is a very viable and wide-spread
> connectivity standard, it should remain available and side-
> by-side with DVI (and whatever "standard" comes along next)
> for many years.

Its not the connectivity standard I was worrieda bout, but what content
would be
allowed to be carried over those standards.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 12:20:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"HeadRusch" <headrusch1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:uQvnc.14360$xw3.963907@attbi_s04...
> > > Just curious if older HDTV's are going to be come functionally
obsolete
> long
> > > before their lifespans are up...
> > >
> > What in the world does Hollywood have to do with it?
> > They're the _last_ people in the world that would dictate
> > connectivity standards.
>
> Hollywood has tried to propose that the only medium for HD delivery in the
> future
> is through Copy-Protected Digital connection paths.
>
> So that people who aren't using a copy-protected pathway would have their
> signal
> "downgraded" to 480p instead of 720p/1080i......
>
> > Given that component is a very viable and wide-spread
> > connectivity standard, it should remain available and side-
> > by-side with DVI (and whatever "standard" comes along next)
> > for many years.
>
> Its not the connectivity standard I was worrieda bout, but what content
> would be
> allowed to be carried over those standards.

Hollywood believes itself to be invulnerable, but there is one big hammer
that Congress could use that would IMMEDIATELY get the moguls in line
vis-a-vis consumer fair use rights.

They could threaten to reduce copywrite protections on works of art to the
lifetime of the original creator, or better yet, to 20 years.

Jack Valenti would be on his knews faster than Monica Lewinski.
May 10, 2004 4:08:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Where the hell have you been the last 3 years?!?!
H'wood has EVERYTHING to do with connection standards.
There was NO intention of ANY other interconnection until H'wood started
bitching and moaning about piracy.


"Mark" <ZZZmark@whiskey-creek.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b0849af948a5557989807@newsgroups.bellsouth.net...
> In article <3Atnc.13232$xw3.896148@attbi_s04>,
> headrusch1@comcast.net says...
> > Will hollywood ever really clamp down on HD content over component, and
only
> > allow HD content over DVI digital connections???
> >
> > Just curious if older HDTV's are going to be come functionally obsolete
long
> > before their lifespans are up...
> >
> What in the world does Hollywood have to do with it?
> They're the _last_ people in the world that would dictate
> connectivity standards.
>
> Given that component is a very viable and wide-spread
> connectivity standard, it should remain available and side-
> by-side with DVI (and whatever "standard" comes along next)
> for many years.
>
>
> --
> Mark
>
> The truth as I perceive it to be.
> Your perception may be different.
>
> Triple Z is spam control.
!