Sign in with
Your question

Can't decide on case or CPU cooler. Advice please

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2007 7:54:24 AM

Hi all,

I've decided on everything in my new build except the case and the CPU cooler.

What I have chosen is: E6600; P5B Deluxe; 2 GB Corsair DDR2800cl4; Seagate 320GB 7200.10; X1950Pro; Lite-On DVDRW drive; Enermax Liberty 620W.

My current choice for a case is the Gigabyte Aurora 3D - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/gig-3d-a... and the Scythe NinjaPlus for the CPU cooler. My problem is I don't know whether the Scythe NinjaPlus or Infinity is better. They are basically the same price which doesn't exactly help me decide either. Silent PC Review says the Ninja is better with the stock fan so that's why I have gone with that at the moment.

I am planning to overclock so I would like a decent cooler but would something like the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 be good enough? I suppose it depends on how far I want to overclock but if someone could say which cooler would be more appropriate for different degrees of overclocking that would be great (or recommend a different cooler altogether).

My problem with the case is that I like the look of doorless cases better but I can't find one which I like the look of and is practical. My favourite case design I've seen so far is the NZXT Adamas but it apparently is noisy and is also a bit small (especially for a Ninja or Infinity I would think). If people could recommend a doorless case of a similar design which is more like the size of the Aurora 3D (205mm x 510mm x 430mm (W x H x D)) that would be awesome. I have looked around the net for quite a while now but haven't found anything I really like.

Cheers
January 18, 2007 11:06:22 AM

Can't help you with the hsfs.

I was a diehard doorless person for years until recently I tried a full tower with a door.

A door not only protects the drives & buttons from accidents, but also keeps the look clutter-free & noise down & some dust out.

A doorless case is automatically noisy because of the air vents in the front bezel unless there's some quiet computing tech in there. Some doorless cases are less noisy with only small opening/air vent in the bottom of the bezel. i.e. Thermaltake & Antec cases.

Thermaltake has some doorless cases. Swing is one of them.

If you want aluminum, look at Antec, Lian Li, SilverStone, etc.
January 18, 2007 5:09:17 PM

Quote:
Can't help you with the hsfs.

I was a diehard doorless person for years until recently I tried a full tower with a door.

A door not only protects the drives & buttons from accidents, but also keeps the look clutter-free & noise down & some dust out.

A doorless case is automatically noisy because of the air vents in the front bezel unless there's some quiet computing tech in there. Some doorless cases are less noisy with only small opening/air vent in the bottom of the bezel. i.e. Thermaltake & Antec cases.

Thermaltake has some doorless cases. Swing is one of them.

If you want aluminum, look at Antec, Lian Li, SilverStone, etc.

I've actually found a case with a door that I like, the Lian-Li PC-A10B. The only problem with it that I can see is that its really expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for. Does anyone have on of these cases? Is it worth it?
Related resources
January 18, 2007 5:43:46 PM

I'd go with this HSF; cools well, very quiet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

mounting is a pain if the MB is already installed because part of the bracket gets mounted on the underside of the MB, but if it's a new build, it's a piece of cake. Get the LED model if you need the "flash."

I've had a Lian-Li Classical (like the PC-6X Series) case for over 5 years now. I've built new systems, always under the idea of replacing the case, but I never have, I just gut it. It's so solid, well-built, easy to work on, cool (temp), I just can't seem to justify replacing it. I did buy and install some sound-deadening panels to quiet things down, but that was because I had 4 hard drives in it (80gb maxtors in a RAID 1+0) and it sounded like a jet taking off. So I guess, to a degree, it has paid for itself even though it was expensive. I looked at that Gigabyte case at one time, and liked what I saw. If you use it, let me know how it goes. Good luck.
January 18, 2007 5:59:23 PM

Tuniq Tower 120. Very very good cooler.

Antec P180 case. Quiet and cool.
January 18, 2007 6:20:06 PM

Quote:

Except in the OP he said "If people could recommend a doorless case of a similar design". The P180 has a door, and a lot of folks have had a problem with the flimsy plastic hinge breaking, in which case, then I guess it wouldn't have a door. Maybe the Antec P150? Although that's an all-steel design, and he seems to be leaning towards an aluminum case.
January 18, 2007 8:30:25 PM

Quote:

Except in the OP he said "If people could recommend a doorless case of a similar design". The P180 has a door, and a lot of folks have had a problem with the flimsy plastic hinge breaking, in which case, then I guess it wouldn't have a door. Maybe the Antec P150? Although that's an all-steel design, and he seems to be leaning towards an aluminum case.

I'm not set on having a doorless case. A good looking door is fine. Two cases I'm looking at now are both Lian-Li. The PC-A10 - http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/...ower/Classica... and the PC-V200plusII - http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/...ower/V_Series... both in black. I like the look of both (the wheels on the v2000 are slightly odd but oh well) and they are a similar price so which one should I pick? Anyone's opinion is welcome.
January 19, 2007 12:25:12 AM

Quote:
My vote goes to PC-A10. The other has a perforated bezel which means noise & dust. Dust will get stuck in there after a while & will be very hard to clean.

Yeah that's a good point and I like the look of the door with the grills down the side. Thanks
!