Your question

Old PC crashing - any suggestions?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Windows XP
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2007 8:37:03 AM

Athlon 2400+, 1GB ram, 6600GT AGP card, Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394 motherboard.

Over a period of about 3 days this system has started failing. Initially it went many hours between problems but now it rarely makes it to XP having fully started up.

Symptoms are that the screen goes black (CRT monitor) and mostly the system looks like it is in a hung state though it has rebooted itself a few times. I got 1 error event from Windows XP - searched but no exact hits - indication was a hardware failure, maybe graphics system.

The cooler the system is the longer it seems to go until it crashes, ie if it has been off for a while the first time I start it it goes for much longer than the second time etc.

I don't think it can be a virus as it seems to fail well before XP has started up sometimes.

Safe mode with VGA also fails in the same way.

My first thought was a failing graphics card, but I put an old card in and there was no change in symptoms.

My suspicion is the AGP controller on the motherboard, but any more knowledgeable suggestions would be welcome.

I would welcome any other diagnostic suggestions.

I am a computing professional, but SW not HW.

I know the system is old, but if I can get it going again fairly cheaply, it will serve the kids well as a second system.

Thanks,
Jonathan

More about : crashing suggestions

January 18, 2007 9:45:43 AM

the proplems could be the agp port going bad,, also the power supply
could be failing,,,but because you said that the computer stays on
longer if it is cooler,, ( first boot of the day compared to reboot later)
system may need to be cleaned ( kill those dust bunnies)
one:: check all cables and connection,,( first shut down and unplug
everything power cable, modem or ethernet cable, monitor cable)
open up the computer use a gounding strap or make sure to touch the
power supply first before touching anything else in computer
use canned air and carefully blow out the computer, you can wipe with
a cloth the bottom of case and any fan grills and fan blades
then check the connections,, reseat anything graphics card ,memory
hard drive cables etc.
look arround for any thing that might look wrong,, capacitor caps
leaking, or bulging bent or crimped connections
if you have or can get a pci based praphics card try that in the machine
( unless that was the type card you tried allready)
also any beeps heard when rebooting
more later back to work
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2007 9:54:21 AM

Quote:
Athlon 2400+, 1GB ram, 6600GT AGP card, Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394 motherboard.

Over a period of about 3 days this system has started failing. Initially it went many hours between problems but now it rarely makes it to XP having fully started up.

Symptoms are that the screen goes black (CRT monitor) and mostly the system looks like it is in a hung state though it has rebooted itself a few times. I got 1 error event from Windows XP - searched but no exact hits - indication was a hardware failure, maybe graphics system.

The cooler the system is the longer it seems to go until it crashes, ie if it has been off for a while the first time I start it it goes for much longer than the second time etc.

I don't think it can be a virus as it seems to fail well before XP has started up sometimes.

Safe mode with VGA also fails in the same way.

My first thought was a failing graphics card, but I put an old card in and there was no change in symptoms.

My suspicion is the AGP controller on the motherboard, but any more knowledgeable suggestions would be welcome.

I would welcome any other diagnostic suggestions.

I am a computing professional, but SW not HW.

I know the system is old, but if I can get it going again fairly cheaply, it will serve the kids well as a second system.

Thanks,
Jonathan

what temps in the bios?

reset the cmos and see what that does?

memtest!
January 18, 2007 9:57:21 AM

Try a different power supply, sounds exactly like those circumstances.
Tim
January 18, 2007 10:01:40 AM

its possible that it could be the graphics controller on the motherboard but im leaning more toward an overheating/power supply issue. I say this because you said that it gets further in the boot when its cooler. I would check your cpu cooler and reseat it. if that doesnt work you could try a different power supply. if all else fails it could be the motherboard.
January 19, 2007 7:09:42 AM

Hey, just wondering how much luck you've had with the problem?
Tim
January 23, 2007 2:26:53 PM

Looks like the issue is probably a failing AGP chipset cooling fan. I'll try replacing it next week and see if it helps.

Don't know why I didn't notice it before.

All the helpful suggestions were appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2007 8:09:49 PM

Quote:
Looks like the issue is probably a failing AGP chipset cooling fan. I'll try replacing it next week and see if it helps.

Don't know why I didn't notice it before.

All the helpful suggestions were appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan

Um, you mean northbridge right?
!