A8NSLI Deluxe issues.. Beep Errors on startup, haning, etc

Dekansnowman

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I've been an Asus/AMD loyal user for years now. I've used them since the days of Slot A Athlons and have always loved the performance/price ration they offer. While a friend of mine who started out with AMD with me with Socket As started having mild troubles and random errors we always figured it to be SW related. Now years later I'm still rocking AMD/ASUS and he's gigabyte and P4.

My setup is this: Windows Xp Professional SP2 on WD 160SATA/
Asus A8NSLI Deluxe
AMD 64 3800+ Venice
Corsair XMS 1 Gig...(timing, :cry: don't know)
WD 160 gig SATA
WD 100 gig EIDE backup
Maxtor 60 gig running Vista but only plugged in when needed.
XFX 7600GT PCI-16x
Xclio 550W PSU
Sony-DRU 830a
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
all budled up into a Lian Li PC-60. The original one without USB or window.

Sorry to give such a long story but a felt background helps and wanted to tell you system info..

Ok, now I have been noticing some of those old errors recently for no reason. I get 2 long beeps when the system restarts or has an error and restarts on its own. Somtimes right after the beeps, it will turn itself off. Others it will start and try again with it only to get hung and just have a solid HDD light on. Also, when I have anything besides my mouse and keyboard attached to the motherboard on startup it wont go past the POST screen, it just stays there until I unplug whatever i plugged in.

Now, the only things I have from my last system that i put into this new system was the extra hdds, and soundcard. Everything else is new and purchased in retail box, no opened or OEM stuff. I have also made sure that heat is not a factor on the hdds as i have them spaced apart and the fans on the front of the case blowing at full speed.

Sorry for such the long post but I wanted to be descriptive as possible.. :wink:

EDIT:
Oh yea, only because I decided to listen to some music did I notice my other 2 errors.. Sometimes when I play music using WMP, the system will hangup, then restart. It used to not play on CMSS2 like the Audigy card says it will even though its been doin it for years up until 2 days ago. And no matter what, when I boot back up and get to the desktop, it automatically changes resolution back to 640x480. I think thats it for now. :oops:

I've been an Asus/AMD loyal user for years now. I've used them since the days of Slot A Athlons and have always loved the performance/price ration they offer. While a friend of mine who started out with AMD with me with Socket As started having mild troubles and random errors we always figured it to be SW related. Now years later I'm still rocking AMD/ASUS and he's gigabyte and P4.

My setup is this: Windows Xp Professional SP2 on WD 160SATA/
Asus A8NSLI Deluxe
AMD 64 3800+ Venice
Corsair XMS 1 Gig...(timing, :cry: don't know)
WD 160 gig SATA
WD 100 gig EIDE backup
Maxtor 60 gig running Vista but only plugged in when needed.
XFX 7600GT PCI-16x
Xclio 550W PSU
Sony-DRU 830a
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
all budled up into a Lian Li PC-60. The original one without USB or window.

Sorry to give such a long story but a felt background helps and wanted to tell you system info..

Ok, now I have been noticing some of those old errors recently for no reason. I get 2 long beeps when the system restarts or has an error and restarts on its own. Somtimes right after the beeps, it will turn itself off. Others it will start and try again with it only to get hung and just have a solid HDD light on. Also, when I have anything besides my mouse and keyboard attached to the motherboard on startup it wont go past the POST screen, it just stays there until I unplug whatever i plugged in.

Now, the only things I have from my last system that i put into this new system was the extra hdds, and soundcard. Everything else is new and purchased in retail box, no opened or OEM stuff. I have also made sure that heat is not a factor on the hdds as i have them spaced apart and the fans on the front of the case blowing at full speed.

Sorry for such the long post but I wanted to be descriptive as possible.. :wink:

EDIT:
Oh yea, only because I decided to listen to some music did I notice my other 2 errors.. Sometimes when I play music using WMP, the system will hangup, then restart. It used to not play on CMSS2 like the Audigy card says it will even though its been doin it for years up until 2 days ago. And no matter what, when I boot back up and get to the desktop, it automatically changes resolution back to 640x480. I think thats it for now. :oops:

run memtest? reset cmos and retest windows? check temps and thermal paste? update bios and drivers? just some ideas

jcdenton12

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I had problems with asus a8n-e

I advise you to unplug everything, take it out of case and blow of dust if present

then build it and and try

might be bad memory/vga contact

I searched but can´t find what 2 long beeps mean

Dekansnowman

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I've also noticed that my 100 gig WD backup drive randomly cuts itself on and off after being on for awhile. I've checked the temp on it but its never actually hot. I mean, I have other HDs that have gotten hotter and this one just seems warm. Could it just be getting old and more sensitive? I guess I should buy another HD and try to get everything off it just in case. I also gotta figure out why I can't boot my computer up unless I only have the USB mouse plugged in. I will stay stuck at the Asus screen until I unplugged whatever extra I have.