Network Properties Permission Problem

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hiya guys

Just a small problem really, I have been away for a while, and during this
time we have had some agency guys about looking after things.

However, now that I am back I have noticed a small problem that I can't sort
out.

On our W2K clients (though not with our WinXP clients) when an domain admin
user 'right-clicks' "My Network Places" and clicks properties, a warning box
pops up saying that they don't have permission to open the "Network &
Dial-up Connections folder". The only way to get in there is to login in as
the local workstation admin user.

Any one have any ideas? I'm guessing one of the agency guys fiddled with
something in the GP, but damn if I can find it!

Any help or tips would be great

Cheers

Phil

Does sound like a domain level policy is getting applied to the domain
Administrator account.
Can you run "gpresult /v" and look at that output?

--
Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

from your issue.

"Phil" <anon@hotmail> wrote in message
> Hiya guys
>
> Just a small problem really, I have been away for a while, and during this
> time we have had some agency guys about looking after things.
>
> However, now that I am back I have noticed a small problem that I can't
sort
> out.
>
> On our W2K clients (though not with our WinXP clients) when an domain
admin
> user 'right-clicks' "My Network Places" and clicks properties, a warning
box
> pops up saying that they don't have permission to open the "Network &
> Dial-up Connections folder". The only way to get in there is to login in
as
> the local workstation admin user.
>
> Any one have any ideas? I'm guessing one of the agency guys fiddled with
> something in the GP, but damn if I can find it!
>
> Any help or tips would be great
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

This is what I get, though can't see anything that helps:

***********************

The following settings were applied from: Local Group Policy

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\EFS
ValueName: EFSBlob
ValueType: REG_BINARY
Value: Binary data. Use the /S switch to display.

KeyName:
Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\EFS\Certificates\606DE1E5223B
9F7B1C40DD8677E63B7587F15345
ValueName: Blob
ValueType: REG_BINARY
Value: Binary data. Use the /S switch to display.

KeyName:
Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\EFS\CRLs
ValueName:
ValueType: REG_NONE
Value: This key contains no values

KeyName:
Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\EFS\CTLs
ValueName:
ValueType: REG_NONE
Value: This key contains no values

The following settings were applied from: Default Domain Policy

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\EFS
ValueName: EFSBlob
ValueType: REG_BINARY
Value: Binary data. Use the /S switch to display.

KeyName:
Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\EFS\Certificates\A7462A814997
AEC3B0DA9D4F14E8BE4C6EB1A6AF
ValueName: Blob
ValueType: REG_BINARY
Value: Binary data. Use the /S switch to display.

KeyName:
Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\EFS\CRLs
ValueName:
ValueType: REG_NONE
Value: This key contains no values

KeyName:
Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\EFS\CTLs
ValueName:
ValueType: REG_NONE
Value: This key contains no values

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
ValueName: GroupPolicyRefreshTime
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x0000003c

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
ValueName: GroupPolicyRefreshTimeOffset
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x0000001e

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
ValueName: GroupPolicyRefreshTimeDC
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x0000003c

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
ValueName: GroupPolicyRefreshTimeOffsetDC
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x0000001e

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
ValueName: WUServer
ValueType: REG_SZ
Value: http://WUServer

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
ValueName: WUStatusServer
ValueType: REG_SZ
Value: http://WUServer

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
ValueName: NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000001

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
ValueName: UseWUServer
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000001

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
ValueName: NoAutoUpdate
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000000

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
ValueName: AUOptions
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000004

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
ValueName: ScheduledInstallDay
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000005

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
ValueName: ScheduledInstallTime
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000006

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
ValueName: RescheduleWaitTime
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000002

The following settings were applied from: Company Computer
[Defaults]

KeyName:
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
ValueName: NoWelcomeScreen
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000001

KeyName:
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
ValueName: LogonType
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000000

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
ValueName: UserPolicyMode
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000001

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
ValueName: SyncForegroundPolicy
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000001

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
ValueName: DisableSR
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000000

KeyName: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
ValueName: DisableConfig
ValueType: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000000

The computer received "Scripts" settings from these GPOs:

Default Domain Policy
Revision Number: 126
Unique Name: {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
Domain Name: domain.com
Linked to: Domain (DC=companydomain,DC=com)

Company Computer [Defaults]
Revision Number: 125
Unique Name: {7CB34FD7-66FE-4C87-A719-78CF0BD6F399}
Domain Name: domain.com
Linked to: Organizational Unit (OU=Company
Computers,DC=casting
sdev,DC=com)

Company Computer [Windows 2000]
Revision Number: 27
Unique Name: {47FFCCAE-B68E-42AB-95E5-7E64F971AD56}
Domain Name: domain.com
Linked to: Organizational Unit (OU=Windows
2000,OU=Company Comp
uters,DC=companydomain,DC=com)

Company Computer [Windows 2000] [Desktops]
Revision Number: 5
Unique Name: {E0038A40-90F4-46FC-A067-0F8B11F7CC75}
Domain Name: domain.com
Linked to: Organizational Unit (OU=Desktops,OU=Windows
2000,OU=Company Computers,DC=companydomain,DC=com)

Startup scripts specified in: Default Domain Policy
localadmin.vbs cast1ngs968

Startup scripts specified in: Company Computer [Defaults]
UTILINSTALL.BAT
CompanyTheme.bat
VPLOGON.BAT

Startup scripts specified in: Company Computer [Windows 2000]
LoginScreen2000.bat

Startup scripts specified in: Company Computer [Windows 2000]
[Desktops]
power2000.bat

The computer received "Security" settings from these GPOs:

Local Group Policy
Revision Number: 3
Unique Name: Local Group Policy
Domain Name:
Linked to: Local computer

Revision Number: 126
Unique Name: {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
Domain Name: DOMAIN.COM
Linked to: Domain (DC=companydomain,DC=com)

Company Computer [Defaults]
Revision Number: 125
Unique Name: {7CB34FD7-66FE-4C87-A719-78CF0BD6F399}
Domain Name: DOMAIN.COM
Linked to: Organizational Unit (OU=Company
Computers,DC=companydomain,DC=com)

Run the Security Configuration Editor for more information.

The computer received "EFS recovery" settings from these GPOs:

Local Group Policy
Revision Number: 3
Unique Name: Local Group Policy
Domain Name:
Linked to: Local computer

Revision Number: 126
Unique Name: {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
Domain Name: domain.com
Linked to: Domain (DC=companydomain,DC=com)

Additional information is not available for this type of policy
setting.

The computer received "Application Management" settings from these GPOs:

Revision Number: 126
Unique Name: {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
Domain Name: DOMAIN.COM
Linked to: Domain (DC=companydomain,DC=com)

Company Computer [Defaults]
Revision Number: 124

"Gary Mudgett [MSFT]" <garymu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does sound like a domain level policy is getting applied to the domain
> Administrator account.
> Can you run "gpresult /v" and look at that output?
>
> --
> Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
> Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.
rights.

> "Phil" <anon@hotmail> wrote in message
> > Hiya guys
> >
> > Just a small problem really, I have been away for a while, and during
this
> > time we have had some agency guys about looking after things.
> >
> > However, now that I am back I have noticed a small problem that I can't
> sort
> > out.
> >
> > On our W2K clients (though not with our WinXP clients) when an domain
> admin
> > user 'right-clicks' "My Network Places" and clicks properties, a warning
> box
> > pops up saying that they don't have permission to open the "Network &
> > Dial-up Connections folder". The only way to get in there is to login in
> as
> > the local workstation admin user.
> >
> > Any one have any ideas? I'm guessing one of the agency guys fiddled with
> > something in the GP, but damn if I can find it!
> >
> > Any help or tips would be great
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Phil

No there isn't anything included in that that seems to help. It was run as
the domain administrator having the issue correct?
Are you able to get into control panel in general, including others?

Check the local Administrators group on the machine for the Domain Admins
group. It should be there by default, as it is added when the computer is
joined to the domain.

You could even use regmon and filemon from www.sysinternals.com to track
what is occuring when you do that. then look for any access denied that
occur.