SoU endgame comments (spoilers)

[HUGE bigtime spoiler warning]

Well, I thought Ch 2 was pretty cool with the various things you had
to do. Seemed a little short, though. I ended up as a Paladin
10/Champion of Torm 3 which is 1 level higher than I had expected. It
took me a while to really get into the campaign but once I did, it was
pretty interesting. I'm really looking forward to HotU now.

However, before that, it took me 4 tries to win the last battle. And,
while I did finally win, I wonder how I was *supposed* to win. What I
mean, is that I did the "drink 1 of every potion you have" and cast
buffing spells, etc., etc. Then I run over and talk to Herodious.
After I can't do any damage to her, I figure I need to destroy the
mythal before I can hurt her. So, I start bashing the posts and she
casts some kind of Bigby's spell at me which holds me for freekin
forever. The only time of the first 3 attempts I actually survived
until the spell wore off, I had already exhausted all my healing kits
and potions and was all but dead. I was using a bow and the best
arrows I had to destroy the mythal, but I couldn't do it fast enough.
I tried to dispel the spell, but didn't manage to do it. My magic
resistance was 16 and I got my saves as high as I could but couldn't
resist that spell. So, how are you supposed to beat this battle?

What I finally did was say "heck with fair play" and as soon as I got
to the level, I started shooting out the mythal with my bow. Of
course, that bypassed the whole speech bit and when she came over to
start laying the hurt on me, I took off and ran to the other side of
the area to bash those posts in. She ended up using her killer Bigby
spell on Deekin and while he got annihilated, it meant she'd pretty
much used her only chance to beat me on my hench. I still had to use
a bunch of healing kits but I knew it was pretty much in the bag at
that point. But, I feel like I cheated because I got a head start on
her. Also, I'm not sure I destoyed the mythal. Some of them I
bashed, but others seemed to get destroyed just as I got to them. So,
I'm not really sure what was happening with that. I don't know, maybe
the secret was to buy a bunch of Heal potions (I only had 30k at the
end and hadn't seen a Heal potion the entire game) in order to try and
outlast Bigby.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
But, that's just me .... :)

Thanks for listening and for any comments.

Warren
10 answers Last reply
More about endgame comments spoilers

    **spoiler space**

    Warren wrote:
    > Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
    > I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
    > been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
    > little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
    > But, that's just me .... :)

    Only played through SoU once, with a paladin. When I got to the final
    battle, I got wasted once. The next time, I summoned in a water
    elemental using one of the magic items I obtained in the game. As soon
    as Herodious went hostile, I ran away and she and the water elemental
    traded blows while I ran around bashing the mythal. I bashed them so
    quickly, the water elemental killed Herodious.

    Kind of anti-climactic, to say the least...
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Barry Scott Will <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message news:<pePLc.4843$eM2.4222@attbi_s51>...
    > Only played through SoU once, with a paladin. When I got to the final
    > battle, I got wasted once. The next time, I summoned in a water
    > elemental using one of the magic items I obtained in the game. As soon
    > as Herodious went hostile, I ran away and she and the water elemental
    > traded blows while I ran around bashing the mythal. I bashed them so
    > quickly, the water elemental killed Herodious.
    >
    > Kind of anti-climactic, to say the least...

    Darn, I had a thing that would summon a fire elemental that I forgot
    about. Even so, it still seems like AI abuse to me, though I realize
    there's no way around it. I long for the day when the bad guys stop
    wasting time on cannon fodder and go after the real threat. Unless
    I'm stuck in a doorway or something, I never swing at summoned
    creatures. I'll go around them and let them get a bunch of
    opportunity attacks to get at the mage or creature who summoned them
    in the first place. It was even easier in SoU with the Holy Avenger
    sometimes dispelling the summoning without even killing the summoner.
    I mean, really, how hard can it be to program the AI to ignore the
    little guys and go after the big guys? Now, if we couldn't just look
    at the thing and tell it's a "Summoned Red Slaad" or whatever, that
    might help even the odds though in most cases it wouldn't matter. I
    realize that the game just can't throw everything hellbent at the PC
    because then it just wouldn't be fun anymore, but I'd be willing to
    try and err on the opposite side of the spectrum to see how that
    really works out.

    I guess they have tried to improve this to some extent. I had started
    the NWN Prelude with a mage with a whole 5 hp. Sure enough, that
    first Tough Goblin got my wizard in his sites and chased her all over
    the place. I couldn't shake him no matter how hard I tried to get him
    to target either my summon or the fighter with me. Stupid thing ...
    well, I guess he wasn't so stupid, huh :) ... eventually killed me
    from opportunity attacks. I was actually impressed ... annoyed, but
    impressed. :)

    All that said, I'd agree that in my case, Deekin was a legitimate
    target. Not nearly as dangerous as my paladin but at least she didn't
    stand there and beat up on a summoned creature while I ran around and
    dismantled her entire defensive system. I agree that would be
    anti-climatic. Anyway, the more I've thought about this, the more I
    realize I was just unprepared. I bought no potions the entire game.
    Had I spent the 30k to buy 6 Heal potions, I probably would've been
    able to outlast her Bigby spell and then still dismantle the mythal
    and get rid of her. I'm just kind of stubborn that way. :) Oh yeah,
    I also didn't sell any gems the entire game. Kept them all in my
    backpack. Well, never know when you might need them to build
    something or somesuch. :)

    Warren

    Warren wrote:

    > Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
    > I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
    > been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
    > little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
    > But, that's just me .... :)

    I have a savegame in my collection with a Paladin 6/Rogue 3/Champion of Torm
    5 which I tested again just now. Heurodis is chanceless against him.
    Equipped with Boots of Speed, he rans faster than her and smashes the
    Mythallars with the Holy Avenger while she is wasting Fireballs, Web and
    Grease. What seems to do the trick is to ignore her and to keep as much
    distance as possible until the last Mythallar ist destroyed. After that your
    blade may speak...

    Hans
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Warren" <wsmithjr001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
    > I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
    > been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
    > little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
    > But, that's just me .... :)

    [Spoilers ahead!]
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    The trick is to look for the mythallar crystal that's currently glowing.
    Destroy that one, and all the others will be destroyed as well. However, the
    glow will move around the circle, so you have to be able to destroy it
    quickly.

    I just waited until the "End Dialogue" option appeared in the conversation,
    then waited until the glowing crystal was in front. Then, I blasted it with a
    Wand of Lightning. One shot, no crystals. From there, the fight became a lot
    easier.

    --
    Brian Perler bperler@sprynet.com
    "Treasure the moments you have. Savor them for as long as you can, for they

    "Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<cdonvm$vrt$04$1@news.t-online.com>...
    > Warren wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
    > > I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
    > > been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
    > > little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
    > > But, that's just me .... :)
    >
    > I have a savegame in my collection with a Paladin 6/Rogue 3/Champion of Torm
    > 5 which I tested again just now. Heurodis is chanceless against him.
    > Equipped with Boots of Speed, he rans faster than her and smashes the
    > Mythallars with the Holy Avenger while she is wasting Fireballs, Web and
    > Grease. What seems to do the trick is to ignore her and to keep as much
    > distance as possible until the last Mythallar ist destroyed. After that your
    > blade may speak...

    I found that battle completely trivial.

    Was a sorcerer, I forget what level... but Heruodis decided for some
    reason to concentrate on Dorna, who happened to be carrying a whole
    lot of magic-resistance items. She wasted loads of spells there.
    Meanwhile, I merrily fireballed the mythallars - nailing three or four
    with each shot - and once they were all down I noticed Dorna was
    hurting pretty badly and started pumping missile swarms into Heruodis.
    She just went down.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Yep. You can "lead the target" a bit, and it helps to use an area-effect
    attack. You probably picked up a Necklace of Fireballs, for instance.

    Anyway, you've been given plenty of clues ahead of time that you'll need
    to destroy the mythallar. Do that as quickly as you can, and Heurodis
    isn't much of a problem.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will wrote:
    > **spoiler space**
    >

    > Warren wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
    >> I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
    >> been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
    >> little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
    >> But, that's just me .... :)
    >

    > Only played through SoU once, with a paladin. When I got to the final
    > battle, I got wasted once. The next time, I summoned in a water
    > elemental using one of the magic items I obtained in the game. As soon
    > as Herodious went hostile, I ran away and she and the water elemental
    > traded blows while I ran around bashing the mythal. I bashed them so
    > quickly, the water elemental killed Herodious.
    >
    > Kind of anti-climactic, to say the least...

    I know what you mean I was a bard so I just cast a cure serious wounds
    on her three times (she's a lich or something). and I hit her once with
    my sword, and that was the end of the game.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "OTL" <bperler@sprynet.com> wrote in message news:<KoZLc.9868$f4.2481@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > The trick is to look for the mythallar crystal that's currently glowing.
    > Destroy that one, and all the others will be destroyed as well. However, the
    > glow will move around the circle, so you have to be able to destroy it
    > quickly.

    Ah ... that's what I missed. Knew I had to destroy the thing, just
    didn't realize that I could do it all in one shot. I did have one
    large blast left of my Necklace of Fireballs. Used 3 previous large
    blasts to take care of those stupid Basilisks. :) First time there I
    had an elven paladin who absolutely had no problem smacking the things
    over the head. Then I restarted with a human paladin and man was that
    battle tough until I broke out the necklace and put a big hurtin on
    'em first.

    Thanks.

    Warren
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > [HUGE bigtime spoiler warning]

    <Snip>

    > Thanks for listening and for any comments.
    >
    > Warren

    I have also just completed SOU for the first time last night and I
    must admit that I really enjoyed it (Far better than the OC). My
    Ranger had no problems doing a Robin Hood impersonation to fire arrows
    at the Mythal and then Deekin managed to get rid of the final baddie
    without my help. Thank goodness for decent NPCs and Inventory control.
    The lack of those features killed the official campain for me.

    So now it's on to Nether scrolls and HotU (at last). Unfortunatly, I
    still find PS:T, BG and Kotor more enjoyible than NWN so I'll finish
    them off before proceeding.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    That's weird - it's exactly what I did - ranger, SOU, destroyed mythal,
    watched Deekin finish off that medusa, went on to The Nether Scrolls and
    have just arrived in the Underdark. YOU'RE PLAYING MY GAME.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Phoenix_Dfire" <Phoenix_Dfire@Lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I have also just completed SOU for the first time last night and I
    > must admit that I really enjoyed it (Far better than the OC). My
    > Ranger had no problems doing a Robin Hood impersonation to fire arrows
    > at the Mythal and then Deekin managed to get rid of the final baddie
    > without my help. Thank goodness for decent NPCs and Inventory control.
    > The lack of those features killed the official campain for me.
    >
    > So now it's on to Nether scrolls and HotU (at last). Unfortunatly, I
    > still find PS:T, BG and Kotor more enjoyible than NWN so I'll finish
    > them off before proceeding.

Games Video Games