SoU endgame comments (spoilers)

Last response: in Video Games
July 22, 2004 3:11:58 AM

[HUGE bigtime spoiler warning]

Well, I thought Ch 2 was pretty cool with the various things you had
to do. Seemed a little short, though. I ended up as a Paladin
10/Champion of Torm 3 which is 1 level higher than I had expected. It
took me a while to really get into the campaign but once I did, it was
pretty interesting. I'm really looking forward to HotU now.

However, before that, it took me 4 tries to win the last battle. And,
while I did finally win, I wonder how I was *supposed* to win. What I
mean, is that I did the "drink 1 of every potion you have" and cast
buffing spells, etc., etc. Then I run over and talk to Herodious.
After I can't do any damage to her, I figure I need to destroy the
mythal before I can hurt her. So, I start bashing the posts and she
casts some kind of Bigby's spell at me which holds me for freekin
forever. The only time of the first 3 attempts I actually survived
until the spell wore off, I had already exhausted all my healing kits
and potions and was all but dead. I was using a bow and the best
arrows I had to destroy the mythal, but I couldn't do it fast enough.
I tried to dispel the spell, but didn't manage to do it. My magic
resistance was 16 and I got my saves as high as I could but couldn't
resist that spell. So, how are you supposed to beat this battle?

What I finally did was say "heck with fair play" and as soon as I got
to the level, I started shooting out the mythal with my bow. Of
course, that bypassed the whole speech bit and when she came over to
start laying the hurt on me, I took off and ran to the other side of
the area to bash those posts in. She ended up using her killer Bigby
spell on Deekin and while he got annihilated, it meant she'd pretty
much used her only chance to beat me on my hench. I still had to use
a bunch of healing kits but I knew it was pretty much in the bag at
that point. But, I feel like I cheated because I got a head start on
her. Also, I'm not sure I destoyed the mythal. Some of them I
bashed, but others seemed to get destroyed just as I got to them. So,
I'm not really sure what was happening with that. I don't know, maybe
the secret was to buy a bunch of Heal potions (I only had 30k at the
end and hadn't seen a Heal potion the entire game) in order to try and
outlast Bigby.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
But, that's just me .... :)

Thanks for listening and for any comments.

Warren
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 5:24:37 PM

**spoiler space**

Warren wrote:
> Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
> I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
> been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
> little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
> But, that's just me .... :)

Only played through SoU once, with a paladin. When I got to the final
battle, I got wasted once. The next time, I summoned in a water
elemental using one of the magic items I obtained in the game. As soon
as Herodious went hostile, I ran away and she and the water elemental
traded blows while I ran around bashing the mythal. I bashed them so
quickly, the water elemental killed Herodious.

Kind of anti-climactic, to say the least...
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message news:<pePLc.4843$eM2.4222@attbi_s51>...
> Only played through SoU once, with a paladin. When I got to the final
> battle, I got wasted once. The next time, I summoned in a water
> elemental using one of the magic items I obtained in the game. As soon
> as Herodious went hostile, I ran away and she and the water elemental
> traded blows while I ran around bashing the mythal. I bashed them so
> quickly, the water elemental killed Herodious.
>
> Kind of anti-climactic, to say the least...

Darn, I had a thing that would summon a fire elemental that I forgot
about. Even so, it still seems like AI abuse to me, though I realize
there's no way around it. I long for the day when the bad guys stop
wasting time on cannon fodder and go after the real threat. Unless
I'm stuck in a doorway or something, I never swing at summoned
creatures. I'll go around them and let them get a bunch of
opportunity attacks to get at the mage or creature who summoned them
in the first place. It was even easier in SoU with the Holy Avenger
sometimes dispelling the summoning without even killing the summoner.
I mean, really, how hard can it be to program the AI to ignore the
little guys and go after the big guys? Now, if we couldn't just look
at the thing and tell it's a "Summoned Red Slaad" or whatever, that
might help even the odds though in most cases it wouldn't matter. I
realize that the game just can't throw everything hellbent at the PC
because then it just wouldn't be fun anymore, but I'd be willing to
try and err on the opposite side of the spectrum to see how that
really works out.

I guess they have tried to improve this to some extent. I had started
the NWN Prelude with a mage with a whole 5 hp. Sure enough, that
first Tough Goblin got my wizard in his sites and chased her all over
the place. I couldn't shake him no matter how hard I tried to get him
to target either my summon or the fighter with me. Stupid thing ...
well, I guess he wasn't so stupid, huh :)  ... eventually killed me
from opportunity attacks. I was actually impressed ... annoyed, but
impressed. :)

All that said, I'd agree that in my case, Deekin was a legitimate
target. Not nearly as dangerous as my paladin but at least she didn't
stand there and beat up on a summoned creature while I ran around and
dismantled her entire defensive system. I agree that would be
anti-climatic. Anyway, the more I've thought about this, the more I
realize I was just unprepared. I bought no potions the entire game.
Had I spent the 30k to buy 6 Heal potions, I probably would've been
able to outlast her Bigby spell and then still dismantle the mythal
and get rid of her. I'm just kind of stubborn that way. :)  Oh yeah,
I also didn't sell any gems the entire game. Kept them all in my
backpack. Well, never know when you might need them to build
something or somesuch. :)

Warren
July 22, 2004 9:12:14 PM

Warren wrote:

> Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
> I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
> been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
> little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
> But, that's just me .... :)

I have a savegame in my collection with a Paladin 6/Rogue 3/Champion of Torm
5 which I tested again just now. Heurodis is chanceless against him.
Equipped with Boots of Speed, he rans faster than her and smashes the
Mythallars with the Holy Avenger while she is wasting Fireballs, Web and
Grease. What seems to do the trick is to ignore her and to keep as much
distance as possible until the last Mythallar ist destroyed. After that your
blade may speak...

Hans
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 4:58:18 AM

"Warren" <wsmithjr001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
> I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
> been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
> little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
> But, that's just me .... :)

[Spoilers ahead!]
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

The trick is to look for the mythallar crystal that's currently glowing.
Destroy that one, and all the others will be destroyed as well. However, the
glow will move around the circle, so you have to be able to destroy it
quickly.

I just waited until the "End Dialogue" option appeared in the conversation,
then waited until the glowing crystal was in front. Then, I blasted it with a
Wand of Lightning. One shot, no crystals. From there, the fight became a lot
easier.

--
Brian Perler bperler@sprynet.com
"Treasure the moments you have. Savor them for as long as you can, for they

"Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<cdonvm$vrt$04$1@news.t-online.com>...
> Warren wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
> > I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
> > been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
> > little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
> > But, that's just me .... :)
>
> I have a savegame in my collection with a Paladin 6/Rogue 3/Champion of Torm
> 5 which I tested again just now. Heurodis is chanceless against him.
> Equipped with Boots of Speed, he rans faster than her and smashes the
> Mythallars with the Holy Avenger while she is wasting Fireballs, Web and
> Grease. What seems to do the trick is to ignore her and to keep as much
> distance as possible until the last Mythallar ist destroyed. After that your
> blade may speak...

I found that battle completely trivial.

Was a sorcerer, I forget what level... but Heruodis decided for some
reason to concentrate on Dorna, who happened to be carrying a whole
lot of magic-resistance items. She wasted loads of spells there.
Meanwhile, I merrily fireballed the mythallars - nailing three or four
with each shot - and once they were all down I noticed Dorna was
hurting pretty badly and started pumping missile swarms into Heruodis.
She just went down.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 9:42:30 PM

Yep. You can "lead the target" a bit, and it helps to use an area-effect
attack. You probably picked up a Necklace of Fireballs, for instance.

Anyway, you've been given plenty of clues ahead of time that you'll need
to destroy the mythallar. Do that as quickly as you can, and Heurodis
isn't much of a problem.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 10:51:56 AM

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> **spoiler space**
>

> Warren wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how others fared in this battle.
>> I felt like I had to abuse the AI in order to win, because if I had
>> been Herodious, I sure as heck wouldn't have used my best spell on a
>> little kobold with a harp, but on the guy carrying the Holy Avenger.
>> But, that's just me .... :)
>

> Only played through SoU once, with a paladin. When I got to the final
> battle, I got wasted once. The next time, I summoned in a water
> elemental using one of the magic items I obtained in the game. As soon
> as Herodious went hostile, I ran away and she and the water elemental
> traded blows while I ran around bashing the mythal. I bashed them so
> quickly, the water elemental killed Herodious.
>
> Kind of anti-climactic, to say the least...

I know what you mean I was a bard so I just cast a cure serious wounds
on her three times (she's a lich or something). and I hit her once with
my sword, and that was the end of the game.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:53:03 AM

"OTL" <bperler@sprynet.com> wrote in message news:<KoZLc.9868$f4.2481@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> The trick is to look for the mythallar crystal that's currently glowing.
> Destroy that one, and all the others will be destroyed as well. However, the
> glow will move around the circle, so you have to be able to destroy it
> quickly.

Ah ... that's what I missed. Knew I had to destroy the thing, just
didn't realize that I could do it all in one shot. I did have one
large blast left of my Necklace of Fireballs. Used 3 previous large
blasts to take care of those stupid Basilisks. :)  First time there I
had an elven paladin who absolutely had no problem smacking the things
over the head. Then I restarted with a human paladin and man was that
battle tough until I broke out the necklace and put a big hurtin on
'em first.

Thanks.

Warren
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:30:24 AM

> [HUGE bigtime spoiler warning]

<Snip>

> Thanks for listening and for any comments.
>
> Warren

I have also just completed SOU for the first time last night and I
must admit that I really enjoyed it (Far better than the OC). My
Ranger had no problems doing a Robin Hood impersonation to fire arrows
at the Mythal and then Deekin managed to get rid of the final baddie
without my help. Thank goodness for decent NPCs and Inventory control.
The lack of those features killed the official campain for me.

So now it's on to Nether scrolls and HotU (at last). Unfortunatly, I
still find PS:T, BG and Kotor more enjoyible than NWN so I'll finish
them off before proceeding.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:17:29 PM

That's weird - it's exactly what I did - ranger, SOU, destroyed mythal,
watched Deekin finish off that medusa, went on to The Nether Scrolls and
have just arrived in the Underdark. YOU'RE PLAYING MY GAME.

Best wishes
Maxon

!