Redirected Start Menu problems

Hello guys, 1st post hope you can help,

We have a 16 server metaframe xp farm (350 users), we have
redirected our start menu and desktops to a file server.
Everything was working ok and then we started experiencing
very long logon and logoff problems, which would cause all
users on the Citrix Servers to have latency problems, up
to 40 minutes in some cases, we added the necessary MS
hotfixes 824309 etc and this still did not appear to
resolve the issue.

After intensive investigation we found that if we stopped
the start menu redirection then the logon process speeded
up a great deal. We moved the start menu to another
servre thinking that there maybe an issue with our file
server but we get the same problems. At the moment, all
the Metaframe server have there start menus pointed at
themslves and users are working fine. Has anyone else had
these problems ? are there known issues redirecting start
menus on remote servers ? Ive looked at all the net
resources but cannot find anything, you guys are my last
chance !

thanx in advance

hi,

the first thing that pops in my mind is the load on the server.
are there any performance related errors in the eventlog?
maybe the server doesn't have enough free connections...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317249
perhaps this article can help you to create more resources.

Omko H

"ibster" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello guys, 1st post hope you can help,
>
> We have a 16 server metaframe xp farm (350 users), we have
> redirected our start menu and desktops to a file server.
> Everything was working ok and then we started experiencing
> very long logon and logoff problems, which would cause all
> users on the Citrix Servers to have latency problems, up
> to 40 minutes in some cases, we added the necessary MS
> hotfixes 824309 etc and this still did not appear to
> resolve the issue.
>
> After intensive investigation we found that if we stopped
> the start menu redirection then the logon process speeded
> up a great deal. We moved the start menu to another
> servre thinking that there maybe an issue with our file
> server but we get the same problems. At the moment, all
> the Metaframe server have there start menus pointed at
> themslves and users are working fine. Has anyone else had
> these problems ? are there known issues redirecting start
> menus on remote servers ? Ive looked at all the net
> resources but cannot find anything, you guys are my last
> chance !
>
> thanx in advance

thanks for the advice, We monitored the server and could
not see any performance related issues apart from the disk
% which was high. We have subsequently increased the size
of the array so there is over 80% free disk space. We
have monitored the server after the disk space increase
and we cannot see a problem with % disk time anymore but
the login problems still exist.

We did not get any 2022 errors but we had already changed
the reg settings as per the article after 1st encountering
the problem. We also had the NIC cards monitored and
found that they were operating well within acceptable
limits. Any other ideas ?

Any more information on these issues ? Does anyone know
anything about dynamically generating Start Menus ?