Group Policy to Allow File Types on Local Intranet.

Hello All,
Is there a setting in group policy that will allow automatic opening of
word documents from a local intranet zone? I am trying to use more word
documents in my intranet at work but keep getting the prompts to open or
save. I want to make it so that group policy will set it so anyone (within
the network on our intranet) will have the documents automatically open.

--
Robert Cohen
A legend in his own mind

Hello Robert,

There is no setting in Group Policy that will allow this.

This issue you are asking about is described in the following KB article
but it applies to any office file opened from any webpage regardless of
intranet or internet -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;303475

There is no specific way to have Word documents coming from the Intranet
Zone versus the Internet Zone to be handled differently by IE.

If you still choose to implement this, any Word documents clicked on via
Internet Explorer will be launched. The problem is that Word documents can
contain Macro viruses which will be launched automatically once the link is
clicked.

Microsoft does not recommend doing this setting.

Best regards,
--
Shain Wray
Microsoft PSS Security Team

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!
--------------------
From: "Robert Cohen" <dont@want.spam.com>
Subject: Group Policy to Allow File Types on Local Intranet.
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:08:15 -0400

Hello All,
Is there a setting in group policy that will allow automatic opening of
word documents from a local intranet zone? I am trying to use more word
documents in my intranet at work but keep getting the prompts to open or
save. I want to make it so that group policy will set it so anyone (within
the network on our intranet) will have the documents automatically open.

--
Robert Cohen
A legend in his own mind

Thank you (eventhough I was hoping for a better answer :)). Yeah I agree
that I don't want to open it up to the internet zone.

Maybe one day microsoft can add allowed file types in the security setting
of internet explorer so you can control dependeing on whether it is a local
intranet vs. trusted site vs. internet zone. And then you can also control
in the group policy.

I would think you should be able to allow it via a local intranet as it
would be no different then if the user clicked it directly. But maybe one
day.

--
Robert Cohen
A legend in his own mind

"Shain Wray [MSFT]" <shainw@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Robert,
>
> There is no setting in Group Policy that will allow this.
>
> This issue you are asking about is described in the following KB article
> but it applies to any office file opened from any webpage regardless of
> intranet or internet -
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;303475
>
> There is no specific way to have Word documents coming from the Intranet
> Zone versus the Internet Zone to be handled differently by IE.
>
> If you still choose to implement this, any Word documents clicked on via
> Internet Explorer will be launched. The problem is that Word documents
can
> contain Macro viruses which will be launched automatically once the link
is
> clicked.
>
> Microsoft does not recommend doing this setting.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Shain Wray
> Microsoft PSS Security Team
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
> Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!
> --------------------
> From: "Robert Cohen" <dont@want.spam.com>
> Subject: Group Policy to Allow File Types on Local Intranet.
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:08:15 -0400
>

> Hello All,
> Is there a setting in group policy that will allow automatic opening
of
> word documents from a local intranet zone? I am trying to use more word
> documents in my intranet at work but keep getting the prompts to open or
> save. I want to make it so that group policy will set it so anyone
(within
> the network on our intranet) will have the documents automatically open.
>
> --
> Robert Cohen
> A legend in his own mind

Hello Robert,

I will pass the feedback along and see what we can do.

Best regards,

From: "Robert Cohen" <dont@want.spam.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:13:00 -0400