Ill take the T-Bone

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
This would be good news indeed, but a bit expected. ATI needs to release an initial top to bottom product line with the R600 because nVidia is unveiling their mid-low range 8000 series products around the same time the R600 stuff is due out. Can't wait to see the benchmarks from all of them.

mpjesse

Splendid
This would be good news indeed, but a bit expected. ATI needs to release an initial top to bottom product line with the R600 because nVidia is unveiling their mid-low range 8000 series products around the same time the R600 stuff is due out. Can't wait to see the benchmarks from all of them.

right! i wonder of the extra memory will make any difference in crysis...

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Only time will tell. I also hope that if this news is true, it doesn't turn out to be some sort of partial paper launch like only top-end availability and then waiting a few months for the low-mid stuff, which is what I'm interested in. A paper-launch would really kick them in the nuts too if nVidia produces the goods on time.

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Yeah I read that one earlier today. I'm really hoping it's not accurate.

A 12" card seems ridiculous to me. It's hard enough to fit an 8800 gtx in alot of cases and thats what? 10.5 "?

A 12 inch card isn't going to fit in alot(most?) of mid-tower cases. It seems like a waste to release a card many potential buyers simply cant fit in their pc.

mpjesse

Splendid
holy shite... that didn't even occur to me. you're right, a 12 inch card isn't going to fit in 90% of cases. the clearance on your average desktop enthusiast case is about 11 inches... sometimes less. (my thermaltake tsunami is about 10.7 inches... my gtx BARELY fits)

for ATI's sake, The Inq better be wrong.

pauldh

Illustrious
TBone sounds nice, but a little puny for this steak lover's appetite. Give me the gool ole full Porterhouse please. I guess getting back to Radeons, that means I want the X2950XTX instead of the X2800XTX or X2900XTX. :tongue:

A 12 inch card is crazy. *where's my dremel* :wink:

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Who was that person that forced a PCI-E card into an agp slot?

Maybe we can saw the 12" card into 2 pieces and glue a PCI-E connector to the 2nd piece so we have Crudfire mode.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Interesting read whether truth or speculation.

One thing that concerns me is they have no clue how to grade the quality of a cut of Beef ! I mean come on, Filet Mignon below Sirloin, Prime Rib and a T-Bone? :roll: If cut and done properly a Filet kills those 3 hands down. Only competition for flavor and texture is a top quality Ribeye. Yes one of the "mid-priced" cuts to be sure but one of the most flavorful absolutely yes. :p

Break it: ForceFire

I have a coolermaster case that fits the card just fine 8800, I forgot the model though.

Wouldn't it be nice if cases started coming with a gap between the 5.25 and 3.5in cages for long video cards?

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Wasn't there an earlier report/rumor that the 12 inch card was only for oems? and that the retail versions would all be 9? Ah here I found it: LINK

February 28th is the day where R600 card samples will be available to manufacturers and press while AMD continues working hard to launch R600 @ CeBIT. There are two versions; a 12" for OEMs and a 9" for the end users. No info as yet on their differences. According to INQ, AMD won’t let ATI release the new chip without being able to ship it in volumes so that lead to some delay.

Theres been so much conflicting information lately, I guess we wont know for sure till they start showing up in reviewers hands. I'd like to hope amd isn't stupid enough to launch a high end card that would require an entire new case.

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Wasn't there an earlier report/rumor that the 12 inch card was only for oems? and that the retail versions would all be 9? Ah here I found it: LINK

I hear that Ron Jeremy has GPU envy.

Lies. Ron Jeremy envies noone.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002

Dudes, Ron Jeremy is DEAD (as in kicked the bucket, six feet under... that kind of 'dead'. He is not in a position to envy anyone. Not anymore anyway.)

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006

Dudes, Ron Jeremy is DEAD (as in kicked the bucket, six feet under... that kind of 'dead'. He is not in a position to envy anyone. Not anymore anyway.)

Someone should really tell him then cause he was running around at the avn awards a week ago...