Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5B deluxe audio problem. help please

Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2007 1:42:22 PM

Just built a new rig,it's been running stable and nothing is OC"d currently. system is
e6600 cpu
2 gigs gskill pc 6400
ocz 850 psu
nvidia gpu, going to upgrade soon (6600)
Seagate 320 perp drive.

The speakers have been tested with another system to rule them out, they work fine. I get alot of static and scratchy sound. When I turn off a couple of the channels in the 8 channel audio slider it get a bit better but really sound horrible in games.

Any suggestions are appreciated :twisted:
January 18, 2007 1:59:19 PM

Did you also test the cables and all the connections between the card and speakers? Cables pushed in all the way? A power line resting next to an audio component on the motherboard can induce voltage spikes and also cause noise in the audio channel, so be sure that's not happening in your case.

ASUS has been pumping out some crap MB's lately, including my P5N SLI, so there's a chance there's a real problem with the mb.
January 18, 2007 2:07:38 PM

we tucked all the cables away, so that shouldnt be an issue, but a good point. anything else ? I really don't wana tear this board out, or i guess i could put in a cheap soundblaster card or something, just seems to me a 200 $ mobo should work properly with its added features. btw asus techsupport picked up the phone fast, they just don't seem to be very knoweledgable about the issues
Related resources
January 18, 2007 2:32:55 PM

I had very similar problems with mine, until I updated to latest bios, latest soundmax drivers.. AND changed the HD AUDIO option in bios to AC97.
January 18, 2007 2:47:54 PM

Ok. sory to be noob-tastic here. can you explain in steps.

How and where to I upgrade my bios and where to I see what version I'm running.
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2007 3:12:20 PM

This is a common problem that I've been keeping track of. In my forum digging, I've found there are several suggested remedies. Try one at a time and see if it helps. Here's a list:

#1 Go into the SoundMax GUI, select the Hammer? tab with DTS settings and either select "Large Speakers" or uncheck the "Enable Subwoofer" check box. (The "Large Speaker" part corrected the problem for my system).

#2 This sounds crazy, but disconnect your case speaker. You know, the one that plugs in next to the front panel LED's. Several people have posted that this solves the problem.

#3 Use non-DTS drivers from one of the other P5B boards. If you don't need DTS this could get you up and running.

#4 Disable the Detect New Devices feature of Soundmax. (source) This may be similar to the suggestion above to go with AC97 instead of HD audio.

#5 Disable onboard sound and buy a sound card.

BTW, what driver version are you using? The latest is 4580. Here's a link to the Asus audio drivers ftp site. Try different drivers, both DTS and non-DTS. Post back here if you solve the problem.
January 18, 2007 5:04:02 PM

>I get alot of static and scratchy sound.

What's the matter?? You don't you like ASUS's "high def" audio?

I think it's wonderful. I enjoy the boost in performance by not having to run monitoring programs like SpeedFan; instead I just listen to the crackling as the processor computes things and data gets copied around. Copying data from USB drives yields a loud grating noise, while a high-pitched whine means the video card has a high frame rate. I'm not joking.

>#5 Disable onboard sound

This is the only solution that worked for me. 10 year old dusty SB Live! beats modern $200 "HD" Audio. Crystal clear, doesn't drain CPU resources to synthesize the sound, EAX. I wish I could rip out the audio circuits from this MB, both to improve case airflow and to shove them up Mr. Asus's ***.

I'll admit I didn't try the AC97 route, it's pointless because my case only has an HD audio jack in front. But I tried every other solution: bios, beta bios, drivers, non-public microsoft patches, removing anything from the SPEAKER pin, turning off DTS, etc. It might get slightly "better", but it still is unacceptable.
January 27, 2007 8:55:47 PM

:p  This audio problem is solved. It's a harddrive problem. Look at your system manager, under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controler-->"The last" primery IDE channel--> advance--> if the divice 0 last colume (current transfer mode) is PIO, then you find the problem!!! Search on the google to find out how to manually change the mode (endit regedit) from PIO to DMA!!! A simple step is as follow: uninstall the primary IDE channel driver--->restart-->edit regedit --->restart

This change also will improve your hard drive read and write speed and XP login speed.

Follow this thread if this does work for you so that others will know!!!
February 1, 2007 9:56:09 PM

I came to this forum because I had exactly the same problem.
wallicee, you got it right on the money.

I uninstalled "The last" primery IDE channel. (It was set at PIO and I couldn't change it.)
Rebooted. (Windows installed the IDE driver.)
Rebooted. (Everything was just as it should be.)

Cheers mate!
:D 
February 2, 2007 3:46:33 PM

Great job guys. I just moved into my college dorm and every semester, I ended up purchasing a new computer. I was experiencing this problem as soon as I plugged in my computer to the schools power supply. I tried various methods and eventually found this forum via google and now my problem is solved. Thanks a lot.

P.S. - I was about to bring this computer in for repairs today.
February 14, 2007 2:53:05 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

I just built a system with a P5B and had lots of audio noise.

Disconnecting the case speaker fixed it.

All of my Primary IDE channels were DMA, but the last Secondary was in PIO. Changing that did nothing about the sound.
February 14, 2007 1:53:22 PM

Got the same problem. Built my system last weekend. P5B Deluxe, E6600, 3 SataII drives on Intel, Only IDE Device is CD/DVD R/W, however I understand that it is driven by the JMICROM JMB363, and as such, the CD/DVD Drive is treated as a SCSI device, so I can't find any IDE ATA/ATAPI adapters to check for this issue.

Also likely related, I can't do a Firmware update to my Sony DRU-820 CD/DVD R/W, as the program looks for the device on an IDE adapter, and since it can't find it, the Firmware update crashes. When It crashes, it blows the JMICRON adapter out, and the only way I can use my CD again is to reload the JMICRON drivers.

How can audio sound issues get so complicated. I think I will do as others have done, get a PCI Audio card and forget about it. But sure would like to know how to update my cd/dvd firmware on this JMICRON
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2007 3:12:55 PM

Quote:
Only IDE Device is CD/DVD R/W, however I understand that it is driven by the JMICROM JMB363, and as such, the CD/DVD Drive is treated as a SCSI device...

HDGORD,

There is a very simple way to make your optical drives seen as IDE instead of SCSI in Windows. Actually there are two ways depending on whether or not you have the JMicron setup as IDE or AHCI in the BIOS:

#1 (BIOS set to IDE): Go to device manager, expand the SCSI tree, right click on the JMicron controller, select "Update Driver", select "No, I will choose driver", select "Let me choose driver to install from list", select "Standard Windows IDE Controller". If you performed this correctly, your optical drives will now be seen as IDE drives and you can flash them as well as play with DMA settings.

#2 (BIOS set to AHCI): First of all, download the latest JMicron driver from the JMicron website. Next, go into BIOS and setup JMicron as AHCI and reboot into Windows. If any "New Hardware" popups appear, cancel them. Go into device manager and there should be TWO Unknown Jmicron controllers under the SCSI tree. Install the JMicron drivers that were downloaded and the unknown devices should install as one JMicron under the SCSI tree (for SATA drives) and the other unknown device should install as JMicron under IDE/ATAPI controllers (for IDE drives). If performed correctly, you can now flash the drives and set DMA and recording options.

It should look like this:

(Hope the image above works, IT is blocking filesharing sites so I had to type the URL by hand)
February 14, 2007 8:19:17 PM

Fantastic. Your instructions were perfect. Thanks a lot rwpritchett. Was able to flash my drive. Doubt it will resolve my audio static that everyone else seems to have, but at least I picked off one more issue on my list of items to resolve from my build. Actually only issue left is audio quality.
February 15, 2007 11:03:35 PM

I had a similar problem after fixing all the drivers. Eventually found the issue to be overvoltage on the northbridge!! Very weird as the NB isnt even connected to the analog devices audio chip. Anyway, I lowered the NB voltage from 1.65 to 1.55, and it worked like a charm. Smooth, beautiful HD audio.

At FSB speeds of between 350-400 MHz, the NB on this board is heavily overclocked. Once you get past 401, the 1333 strap kicks in and it lowers again. So to cope with NB speeds like that you need a pretty hefty voltage - even 1.65 may not be enough. However I've found that anything over 1.55 screws with the analog devices (soundmax) audio. I had to lower my overall OC speed, but it was worth it to get smooth audio performance.

Also, I found that overvolting the southbridge is really not necessary on this board. Set it to auto. You might be tempted to overvolt it to cope with higher PCI Express speeds, but then you'll have problems with the SATA interfaces that are directly connected to the southbridge. So just lock the PCIE to 100 MHz and the PCI sync to 33 MHz, set the SB volts to auto, and the NB volts to 1.55 max, and from there do your OC optimization.
March 3, 2007 1:33:12 PM

Hi,

I tried everything to get rid off the squeeking and static noise. Disconnecting the internal speaker was the solution! Now perfect silence
thanks

regards EGC
July 25, 2007 10:08:18 PM

wallicee said:
:p  This audio problem is solved. It's a harddrive problem. Look at your system manager, under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controler-->"The last" primery IDE channel--> advance--> if the divice 0 last colume (current transfer mode) is PIO, then you find the problem!!! Search on the google to find out how to manually change the mode (endit regedit) from PIO to DMA!!! A simple step is as follow: uninstall the primary IDE channel driver--->restart-->edit regedit --->restart

This change also will improve your hard drive read and write speed and XP login speed.

wallicee was right in my case. I did a clean install of XP pro with service pack 2 and then added the second hard drive along with my RAM drive card. Everything installed fine but when i started playing mp3's (or even small wavs) with winamp or media player, i got that horrible stuttering issue along with the temporary delay to open menu's & programs. for whatever reason, windows installed the ram drive with PIO mode instead of DMA. i followed exactly what he suggested and now everything works. i did update the bios and sound driver but neither helped.

side note - i have a 2 channel amp attached to the computer and when i enable the bass boost - i get an immediate "bottoming out" effect on the stereo even when nothing is playing. any ideas? i'm thinking its the HD sound or an environmental setting in the equalizer.
December 17, 2007 12:12:45 PM

SOLUTION!!

Open "device manager" and find "High Definition Audio", right click and go to drivers tab. Click update drivers and allow wizard to download drivers from MICROSOFT!!
Asus drivers dont work, use Miscrosoft since they are digitaly signed and working perfectly!!

Your HD audio in device manager should then be named as "Microsoft UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio - Adi 1986".

Probably the problem was in ADIHdAud.inf (or sys) which is now replaced by HDAudio.sys from Microsoft.

keywords: soundmax, sound, problem, audio, asus, high definition audio, static, noise, pink noise

p.s. Note that soundmax control panel might not work with these new drivers... still looking for solution...
March 11, 2008 3:56:56 AM

I had a similar problem... allow me to explain in detail.

Built a new computer and installed all of the drivers on the asus CD that came with the motherboard. I also went online and made sure I had all of the most recent drivers.

I plugged my speakers in and.... either distorted sound, or nothing.

I tried rebooting and checking again. Nothing.

I opened up the SoundMax control panel and opened the set up utility. I set it for two front desktop speakers. I clicked the "Test" button. Beautiful white sound began pouring out of my speakers. Yes, the fuzz stuff... and along with that, the song that I was testing the speakers with. Well that's no good, if the only way you get sound is if it's covered up by white noise.

I click, "Stop" on the test button... and all sound stops.

I like to troubleshoot... it's actually part of what I do for a living. So I began testing all of the ports for speakers, mic, or w/e.

Voila! Out of the subwoofer port I was able to get sound.... out of my left speaker only. (????)

I open up the utility again and set it up for 5.1 surround and click, "Test." I get sound from both speakers... so then I click to test one speaker at a time. I get music out of the left still, but only white noise out of the right.

I clicked to switch the subwoofer/center. I got sound out of my RIGHT speaker. Oy vey!

Ok, so when I built my computer I got angry with how difficult it was to set up the front panel audio, and just ended up jamming the jacks onto the pins with no regard to whether or not it was correct. I figured there was a slight possibility this could be effecting my speakers, so I then turned off my computer and spent 30 minutes connecting 7 jacks the RIGHT way.

I started up my computer and..... no success.

At this point I should also add that I was only getting sound out of just one speaker with the speakers plugged into the sub-woofer jack on every other restart. Strange, huh?

So I searched all over the internet for a solution that would work. I was actually about ready to call Asus when I stumbled upon this website...

I tried the AC97 setting and got no results. One tip lead me to the solution, though...

"rwpritchett This is a common problem that I've been keeping track of. In my forum digging, I've found there are several suggested remedies. Try one at a time and see if it helps. Here's a list:

#1 Go into the SoundMax GUI, select the Hammer? tab with DTS settings and either select "Large Speakers" or uncheck the "Enable Subwoofer" check box. (The "Large Speaker" part corrected the problem for my system). "

This suggestion was VERY close to what I needed. I clicked on the hammer icon and then proceeded to the DTS tab from the following window. I noticed that there were two buttons, one labeled, "Music," and the other one was labeled, "Cinema". Well the Cinema button was selected, so I selected the Music button.

BAM! That solved the problem. I was very happy, because I was also close to buying a sound card and just using that... Thank you, rwpritchett. Although you didn't have the exact solution to my problem, you lead me in the right direction.
March 16, 2008 10:07:42 PM

Hi, i am peyma from iran in fact my name is peyman but i forget type the N
in registering, our language in iran is persian but in our city people spaek turkish.so that is normal that i can not spaek inglish currently .
I AM SO SORRY

i think there is not fit place for introducing my self...
before i am sorry egain...
March 16, 2008 10:10:49 PM

yes .. when i bought my ASUS P5B ..
I miss my audio card(Creative) but my onboard chipsets are active currently...
July 29, 2008 1:49:55 AM

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I would like to share my experience with others out there who are having the same problem.

I've tried:
1) Bios, set audio to AC97
2) Bios, adjust NorthBridge Voltage to 1.55v
3) SoundMax, all kinds of settings as members suggested
4) Device Manager, check DMA enable

and finally...

5) disconnect case speaker!! and it worked, at last :D 
September 28, 2008 5:04:49 AM

Thanks to everyone for their responses!

I just wanted to add my experience in case it helps anyone. Disconnecting the case speaker worked for me too!!

December 27, 2008 5:59:24 AM

I have a 2.1 stereo system and I was having problems with distorted sound and having 1 channel come through both speakers.

I solved my problem by opening the SoundMax Control panel and going to preferences. From there I clicked on DTS Connect Tab. Then I clicked on the red button next to "Enable DTS Neo: PC, then clicked apply, and beautiful music began pouring from my speakers.

I had to disable this feature. You will know you disabled it when the red button no longer looks like it is pressed down.

Enjoy!
January 26, 2009 8:04:04 PM

wallicee said:

Right in the nail, good sir. I was getting desperate, tried changing to AC97 in the bios, tweaking the sound control panel.... even taking the tv wires away from the computer box (interference, whatever).

I just uninstalled the IDE primary device that had PIO on and when it reinstalled again it had DMA on it. Works like a charm.

Cheers!
May 12, 2010 3:47:53 AM

Great Work Guys.....I had the same problem with the M4A79T Deluxe MAinboard, I unplugged the case speaker and it just sounds awesome now.

Thank you all for your help

Rafael
April 26, 2011 10:21:02 PM

Wallicee,

I know you wrote this post a while back ago I just wanted to let you know that your info was of use to me and it solved my sound problem.

Thank you

Xavier Figueroa
May 12, 2011 12:37:11 PM

wallicee said:

wallicee said:

Wow. This information is like a magic wand. I followed the instructions, and latency problems as revealed by the DPC Latency Checker just went away. I was having latency peaks upward of 40000 microseconds and suffered terrible audio problems. Now latency is below 272 microseconds, averaging between 78 and 120 microseconds. My computer's overall performance has also improved pretty dramatically--even file operations are faster.

Any idea why the PIO mode appears when it shouldn't?

In any event, the channel is now at Ultra DMA Mode 5, and I am one ecstatic camper.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
March 13, 2014 5:29:45 AM

wallicee said:

Hi,

This audio noise problem has been driving me crazy for years .... Besides a very quite hum - i also get mouse noise and noise when moving around windows .....
I have been digging along the route of my antec p150 case grounding and attachments between usb-mobo-and audio grounds ...

I have opened my device manager and on my third and last primary ide - the setting is "DMA if available" and the "current transfer mode" shows "not available" ....

Is this still a problem ?
What should i do ?

Thanks

March 13, 2014 5:35:57 AM

RafaMann said:
Great Work Guys.....I had the same problem with the M4A79T Deluxe MAinboard, I unplugged the case speaker and it just sounds awesome now.

Thank you all for your help

Rafael

Hi, sorry but im a bit of a noob regarding this ...

How do i unplug my case speaker ?
(I have a p150 antec case and p5b mobo - and a pci soundcard (actually 3 of them - but i also have this problem with just one ... ;)  )

I am nearig the point where i just cut the cable (in the 3 cable braid) that i hope leads to my p150 front audio jacks .... As i have read in other places that the problem is a common ground to the audio jacks, usb and mobo ....
!