Sign in with
Your question

New Build - disk boot error - help...

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2007 1:59:28 PM

Building a new comp - have everything plugged in, but can't get it to boot from the OS disks. Comes back with "disk boot error - please insert OS and hit enter"

I have tried everyting with the boot order in the Bios (I even set all the boot orders to CDROM in one attempt). I have tried every combination of jumper settings on the HD/CDdrive. I have even disconnected the HD and Floppy. It recognizes the drives in the Bios no prob, but just won't boot the OS so I can load it.

I have tried alternates for every componenet. I even took back the first BioStar MB/Chip and bought a GigaByte figuring the MB/Chip was bad.

I have extra ribbon cables, tried that.
I have an extra SATA HD, tried that.
I have an extra CD drive, tried that.
I replaced the MB and Chip, tried that.
I have a Win XP Home disk from my wife's computer, tried that.
I have an extra 512MB ram chip, tried that.
The BioStar MB I started with had Onboard Video, and I know the vid card works.

Can a PS issue cause this? I've tried different plugs, but the CD drive ligth somes on at the startup and the drive will opn/close. The PS is about the only thing I haven't tried.

It always tries to go back to the floppy drive even if I tell it not to. Both MB's did the same thing. Again, I've changed everything but PS.

Any ideas? I just can't imagine after 50+ builds I'm going to be defeated for the first time by a crappy little build like this...

AMD Sempron 3000
Gigabyte GA-K8NS MB
512MB Generic Ram
MSI 5200 Vid card
WD 80 caviar HD
Win 2000 Pro

More about : build disk boot error

January 18, 2007 2:52:24 PM

this is your lucky day as i have similar cheap crappy motherboard as you

ok the mobo(cmos) you bought sets the hard disks to RAID by default!!!!! how dumb!

Go into cmos and look for hdd mode - or somthing along those lines - or hdd write mode.
it has 2 options "IDE" or "RAID"
change it to IDE - u only have 1 hdd and it will not install windows till on IDE mode.
best of luck to your cheap dumb model of mobo, sorry to insult but motherboards should not be set to raid by deafault :p 
tell me if this worked correctly- i just hope u have not waste too much money on replacement parts yet
January 18, 2007 4:02:11 PM

So have you tried booting from a floppy and formatting your HDD?
Related resources
January 18, 2007 5:07:19 PM

Quote:

a lot of people dont put floppys in thier builds these days. i know i didnt. my wife's new Dell also doesn't.
January 18, 2007 5:09:25 PM

Quote:

a lot of people dont put floppys in thier builds these days. i know i didnt. my wife's new Dell also doesn't.
Yeah, but in his post he said "I have even disconnected the HD and Floppy."... so I assumed he had a floppy if he disconnected it.
January 18, 2007 5:14:06 PM

Have you tried putting your OS disc into another computer to see if the disc will boot?
January 18, 2007 5:42:59 PM

Quote:
Have you tried putting your OS disc into another computer to see if the disc will boot?

Yeah. What he said.
January 19, 2007 11:20:29 PM

And the answer was...

Bad CDRW Drives...

The extra A-Open Drive I had and the LiteOn drive I had bought both would not read the Win2000 disk nor the WixXP Home.

I brought it back to the comp shop and the tech immediately said: cd drive read issue.

He grabbed another cd drive off the stack (OEM A-Open drives), hooked up the PC, and wham, it started the load. He said the A-Open and LiteOn drives are notorious for not reading during an intial install, but once an instail is complete, they will work just fine.

I took home the A-Open drive that worked and the Computer is now fully functional.

Moral of the story: Buy a good CD/DVD drive. I usually use the NEC OEM drives and have never had this issue. I've sworn off LiteOn and A-Open for good...
January 20, 2007 2:46:58 PM

Good for you. I've always stuck with Plextor drives for the same reason, even though, traditionally, they are a lot more expensive than the others.
!