GPO being filtered ???

Good Morning ~

I am trying to create a password policy for our domain, but I am trying to test it on our IT Department. The information below is what I pulled from gpresult - does anyone know why this policy is being filtered? It's definitely not emptly...I just don't understand.

Thanks in advance, Sunnie

Applied Group Policy Objects
-----------------------------
Default Domain Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
Password Policy
Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

Local Group Policy
Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

Which section does this come from?
Policies have 2 parts (a computer part and a user part) and these are
reported separately as well in gpresult.

This is probably the section that is reporting on policies applied to the
user and it is saying that there is nothing defined in the user part of the
policy and the user portion is still enabled.

Password policies are machine based policies so that would be reported in
the machine section of gpresult.

--
Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

from your issue.

"Sunnie" <Sunnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good Morning ~
>
> I am trying to create a password policy for our domain, but I am trying to
test it on our IT Department. The information below is what I pulled from
gpresult - does anyone know why this policy is being filtered? It's
definitely not emptly...I just don't understand.

> Thanks in advance, Sunnie
>

> Applied Group Policy Objects
> -----------------------------
> Default Domain Policy
>
> The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
> Password Policy
> Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)
>
> Local Group Policy
> Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

That was stupid of me...I didn't even notice that...sorry. That is under the user...but, under the computer settings, it only lists the Default Domain Policy and the Local Group Policy.

I still don't know what I'm doing wrong. It is all setup the way it's supposed to be - I don't know what I'm possibly missing....any ideas?

"Gary Mudgett [MSFT]" wrote:

> Which section does this come from?
> Policies have 2 parts (a computer part and a user part) and these are
> reported separately as well in gpresult.
>
> This is probably the section that is reporting on policies applied to the
> user and it is saying that there is nothing defined in the user part of the
> policy and the user portion is still enabled.
>
> Password policies are machine based policies so that would be reported in
> the machine section of gpresult.
>
> --
> Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
> Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.
>

> "Sunnie" <Sunnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good Morning ~
> >
> > I am trying to create a password policy for our domain, but I am trying to
> test it on our IT Department. The information below is what I pulled from
> gpresult - does anyone know why this policy is being filtered? It's
> definitely not emptly...I just don't understand.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Sunnie
> >

> > Applied Group Policy Objects
> > -----------------------------
> > Default Domain Policy
> >
> > The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
> > Password Policy
> > Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)
> >
> > Local Group Policy
> > Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I can only assume that one of the policies (Password
Policy) is a policy designed to enforce password
characteristics (length, age, complexity, etc.). I
believe those can be configured only on the domain level,
not on a per-user/OU basis.

It may be seeing that the password policies are 'empty'
because they will not apply to an OU level. As for the
other policy, "Local Group Policy" it could be something
along the same lines (something to be policificated on
the domain level only) or you're applying computer
policies to a user OU, or user policies to a computer OU.

Just a couple of ideas... HTH

Ken

and confers no rights.

>> > Password Policy
>> > Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)
>> >
>> > Local Group Policy
>> > Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

That would suggest to me that the policy you are trying to apply is not in
the OU path to where the computer account is located. With that the policy
would not apply to the computer account.