Thinkpad password

wickywicky

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Hey,
I am trying to fix an intel thinkpad that has a powerup password. The password will only allow the computer to check the memory and then you must specify the password. After three tries the password program locks up and you have to restart the comp.
The password locks the bios and everything. The manual says to take the laptop to a distributer to have them fix it. But I don't feel like paying them $200 or more just to erase a password. Any help?

I wonder what would happen if everyone asked why about everything?

Golden1

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
erm.. Hold down Ctrl-Shift-Insert on power up?

*edit* Whoops. Here's a list of Common Bios- Backdoors. Might help. Depends on Your Bios version though...
AWARD
AWARD_SW
j262
HLT
SER
SKY_FOX
BIOSTAR
ALFAROM
Lkwpeter
j256
AWARD?SW
LKWPETER
syxz
ALLY
awkward
CONCAT
d8on
CONDO
j64 szxy
AMI
AMI
BIOS
PASSWORD
HEWITT RAND
AMI?SW
AMI_SW
LKWPETER
A.M.I.
CONDO

PHOENIX *******not sure about these ones though
phoenix
jerryc

If that doesn't work and you feel brave then try this: (BE CAREFUL)

You can reset the BIOS to its default values using the MS-DOS tool DEBUG (type DEBUG at the command prompt. You’d better do it in pure MS-DOS mode, not from a MS-DOS shell window in Windows). Once you are in the debug environment enter the following commands:

AMI/AWARD BIOS
O 70 17 O 71 17 Q

PHOENIX BIOS
O 70 FF O 71 17 Q

GENERIC Invalidates CMOS RAM. Should work on all AT motherboards (XT motherboards don’t have CMOS)
O 70 2E O 71 FF Q

Note that the first letter is a “O” not the number “0”. The numbers which follow are two bytes in hex format. Some Toshiba notebooks allow to bypass BIOS by inserting a “key-disk” in the floppy disk drive while booting. To create a Toshiba Keydisk, take a 720Kb or 1.44Mb floppy disk, format it (if it’s not formatted yet), then use a hex editor such as Hex Workshop to change the first five bytes of the second sector (the one after the boot sector) and set them to 4B 45 59 00 00 (note that the first three bytes are the ASCII for “KEY” :) followed by two zeroes). Once you have created the key disk put it into the notebook’s drive and turn it on, then push the reset button and when asked for password, press Enter. You will be asked to Set Password again. Press Y and Enter. You’ll enter the BIOS configuration where you can set a new password. Not sure if a key disk can be created for an Omnibook though BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS METHOD THOUGH

Have fun...

John

the Penguins are eating my sanity, One by One<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Golden1 on 04/27/02 05:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

wickywicky

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I am unable to even get to DOS, does this make a difference?

I wonder what would happen if everyone asked why about everything?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try the passwords.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

pileborg

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Thinkpads have three types of passwords, power-up, Harddrive and supervisor password. On most models, you will see a padlock and the symbol next to the padlock tells you what type of password have been set.
A square with another square in it = Poweron pass
A cylinder = HDD pass
A man = supervisor pass

For HDD pass, this is saved in the drives firmware, and it can not be reset if unknown.
Supervisor pass requires a systemboard replacement if unknown.
For poweron pass, it will tell you in the service manual how to get rid of it if unknown. If you go to http://www.pc.ibm.com/support and type the typenumber in the quickpath (press enter) and then choose online publications and after that Harware Maintence Manual (HMM) you will find the service manual.

This is the official answer you would get from IBM if you ask them.

//Jonas HP