Why do most ladies fear technical

timwireless

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hello, I was just curious to hear from you, as to why do most ladies fear technical courses. because it has come to my notice that ever since I started my technical courses am always so rounded by men, and am always asked by my friends who take other courses why is it like that, I would really like to be on the know as to why

It's a matter of socialization. Men are socialized to enter more technical related fields like mathematics, engineering, etc... Women on the other hand are socialized to enter fields like nursing, teaching, etc... In other words, women aren't turned on to potential alternative career paths by teachers, parents, etc... involving technical matters.

buwish,
It's not just socialization. Men in general are, for example, better at spacial visualization and things requiring that.

badge,
No surprise. Republican women, in general, do seem to be better looking than Democratic women.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Women are just generally interested and motivated by different things than men. Socialization arguments are put forward by people who believe that everyone is essentially the same. The truth of it is that people are diverse, some of that diversity is found in gender and people are capable of being themselves without having to be taught by social convention. Women do not fear technical work they are simply uninterested for the most part.

^ QFT

Its not fear . . . women see most technical detail as unnecessary. A thing either works, or it doesn't. Like it or don't like it. BTW, what color is it?

Seriously, this belief that everyone is essentially the same and we'd all be there if we had the right village to raise us is just nonsense.

Yes. And let me add to that. When discussing women with me, keep in mind the two topics most interesting to women are: (1) Why men are all disgusting pigs, and (2) How to attract men.

I would say, youre onto something here, with one caveat however, that being that gender is the largest/greatest of these diversities

I'm a "social scientist" by education, so I tend to look at people as essentially the same. Obviously, men and women are different, even when it comes to which parts of the brain control for certain functions, emotions, etc... But keeping that in mind, I've always been a firm believer that we become what we are socialized to become. You raise a girl to like tech related items, she'll be a woman that likes tech related things. You raise a boy to fashion or some god awful thing, he'll be a man that likes fashion related things.

On one hand you say men and women are different. On the other hand, you seem to say they can be socialized to be the same. Since its not possible to simultaneously hold both views, I'll assume you accept there are limits to what socialization can achieve.

Otherwise it might lead to quite a lively discussion of gay vs. heterosexual life-styles lol. But not goin' there . . . instead consider:

Socialization is very effective at adjusting values and attitudes, but not abilities. The notion that I can hit a major league curve ball . . . or become a world-class composer or concert pianist . . . by spending the infamous "10,000 hours" (eg, "Outliers") in practice is simply ludicrous.

Which may well be why many woman *do* begin careers in (eg) math, and almost none reach its highest levels.

Interesting how Larry Summers was castigated for saying the notion of inate ability should be considered/studied in this and other cases. Noooo, can't do that lol! Can't even suggest it. Let's just assume that everyone can do anything well - its "settled science" - and move on.

Ludicrous.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Their is a part of men's brain that is much more complex than a women but the women has a characteristic of balancing her left and right brain to compensate this.

Yes, we are different. And both are necessary :)

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Wow, OP is quite ignorant. I'm sitting at my job as we speak as an Information Systems Tech for a hospital. Take a guess as to how many men there are around me out of the 8 chairs in my row? Three. In my department of 24? Five. And my supervisors both are? Women. And they do a damn good job too.

Apparently you've not been out in the real world, kid.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
It will be nice to know if TOMS could tell us , how many females are members here and also how many of them have reached the higher levels of membership.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Then can you tell me why my female supervisor is a server admin AND network engineer with the years of experience and certifications to back it up?

How ******* ignorant are you people anyways? :heink: