How do I install a .EXE rather than a .MSI?

I'm just starting to get my feet wet with Group Policy and Software
installation.

I was going to use .EXE to test with, but when I go into Software
installation to add a new package it only has .MSI as a file extension.
What am I missing here?
How do I install an .EXE?

Thanks

Kelvin

GP only does MSI's. If you want to do an exe you would have to call it from
a batch file or something in the login script and use a silent install.

"Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin at mccsa dot com> wrote in message
> I'm just starting to get my feet wet with Group Policy and Software
> installation.
>
> I was going to use .EXE to test with, but when I go into Software
> installation to add a new package it only has .MSI as a file extension.
> What am I missing here?
> How do I install an .EXE?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kelvin

Si

to use an exe in gp as far as s/w distribution goes you
need to create what is called a .zap file you do not as
suggested have to use a batch file - the .zap file is a
simple text file - check the kb for info

alex

What I've found is if you run the setup EXE on your machine, it'll
create temp files in c:\documents and settings\*username*\local
settings\temp - sometimes you will find the msi and related files in
there. I've used this method recently for .NET framework and MSXML
and it works great.

Thanks for the reply

XPSP2.exe is the file I was playing around with. I figured out that I can
UnZip it and file I need is there.
xpsp2\update\update.msi

Thanks