How can i find default advanced memory timings for my ram?

hexploit

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Just picked up a pair of Crucial BallistiX BL2KIT12864AA1005 pc2 8000 chips and i want to find what their default settings for advanced timings should be in the bios. The motherboard is an EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR. It originally detected the ram at 800fsb & 2.1 volts with 4-4-4-14 timings when it's actually 1000fsb & 2.2 volt and 5-5-5-15 timings therefor i have every reason to believe that it detected the advanced timings inaccurately as well.
How can i know what the advanced timings should be?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Just picked up a pair of Crucial BallistiX BL2KIT12864AA1005 pc2 8000 chips and i want to find what their default settings for advanced timings should be in the bios. The motherboard is an EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR. It originally detected the ram at 800fsb & 2.1 volts with 4-4-4-14 timings when it's actually 1000fsb & 2.2 volt and 5-5-5-15 timings therefor i have every reason to believe that it detected the advanced timings inaccurately as well.
How can i know what the advanced timings should be?

The board officially only supports DDR2 800 so the detection by the mobo was correct. The board read the SPD for the maximum supported speed. You can set it to PC8000 speeds but you will have to change the FSB:MEM ratio in the BIOS. You can either overclock the FSB which will increase the RAM speed, or you can change the divider, either way the mobo is right. Back to your question, CPU-Z will give you a few settings, not all. What do you mean by advanced timings? There are 20-30 timings embedded in memory, DFI is the only board I know of that you can actually get access to all those options.

hexploit

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
The board officially only supports DDR2 800 so the detection by the mobo was correct. The board read the SPD for the maximum supported speed. You can set it to PC8000 speeds but you will have to change the FSB:MEM ratio in the BIOS. You can either overclock the FSB which will increase the RAM speed, or you can change the divider, either way the mobo is right.

You sound like a lawyer attempting to defend a guilty motherboard. :D

The timings i'm looking for are as follows and these are how the bios has them set.

Trrd 4
Trc 30
Twr 6
Twtr 10
Tref 7.8uS

Cpuz does tell me trc is 30 but none of the rest.

hexploit

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
What are the rated/default timings for these chips at 1000fsb?

and or...

How can i know that the bios has detected these timings accurately?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
The board officially only supports DDR2 800 so the detection by the mobo was correct. The board read the SPD for the maximum supported speed. You can set it to PC8000 speeds but you will have to change the FSB:MEM ratio in the BIOS. You can either overclock the FSB which will increase the RAM speed, or you can change the divider, either way the mobo is right.

You sound like a lawyer attempting to defend a guilty motherboard. :D

The timings i'm looking for are as follows and these are how the bios has them set.

Trrd 4
Trc 30
Twr 6
Twtr 10
Tref 7.8uS

Cpuz does tell me trc is 30 but none of the rest.

Your RAM is rated for 5-5-5-15 at 500MHz. the numbers refer to CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS. These are the standard manufacturer advertised settings, everything else is up in the air. TRC is not listed as a rated speed, that one you have to find on your own and refers to Row Cycle time. Trrd is another non rated speed setting and refers to Row to Row delay. Twr is another non rated speed setting and refers to Write recovery time. Twtr is yet another non rated speed setting and refers to Write to Read delay. Tref is, again, not rated and refers to Refresh Period . All the settings you gave us refer to non standard timings. Non standard meaning that manufacturers don't advertise their settings so there is no "correct" setting. These settings you have to fiddle with until you get a balance of stability and speed that you are happy with.

CPU-z is meant to give you a high level overview of your main 5 memory settings. I use A64 tweaker to tweak the rest from windows, otherwise I dig into the BIOS and just try each setting until I find something that works.

hexploit

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
So then... would it be safe to say that as a general rule one wouldn't be in danger of voiding a warranty by tweaking any of these settings?

Mondoman

Splendid
It depends on what you tweak. Boosting voltage too high could/will void your warranty. Changing timings should just lead to an unbootable system in the worst case -- no damage to the system or RAM.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
It depends on what you tweak. Boosting voltage too high could/will void your warranty. Changing timings should just lead to an unbootable system in the worst case -- no damage to the system or RAM.

Agreed. Messing with the timings will not void your warranty in any way. Like Mondoman said, the worst thing that can happen is your system freezes and you have to reset your BIOS. I've lost count how many times my OC's have failed because of tweaking the RAM timings. This is when I begin to say DFI boards are worthwhile, they recover from failed OC's extremely well.

So tweak until your heart is content!!!!