Sign in with
Your question

System Rebuild - Am I Missing Anything?

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2007 2:33:22 PM

Well after 2 years it was finally time to upgrade the good old computer. Here is what I have sitting in boxes. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any upgrades or parts. Yes the system will be overclocked and yes eventually I will buy another 2 gigs of memory.

Motherboard
Gigbyte P965-DS3

PowerSupply
Inspire 500w Power Supply (120mm FAN)

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300

CPU Fan
Tuniq Tower 120

Memory
Kingston DDR2-800 Cas4 HyperX 512 x 2

Video
eVGA 256 Meg 7900GS

Harddrive
Seagate 7200RPM 16 Meg Cache 320 Meg SATA (+2 IDE storage drives)

CDROM
1 DVD Reader
1 DVD Reader/Writer

Misc.
Wireless Ethernet Card
IDE Controller Card

I am reusing my ATX case which is almost a full tower with provisions for 2 80mm fans in the rear and 2 80mm fans in the front. That should be enough cooling right?

Thanks for your advice and help!

More about : system rebuild missing

January 18, 2007 2:42:37 PM

Quote:
Well after 2 years it was finally time to upgrade the good old computer. Here is what I have sitting in boxes. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any upgrades or parts. Yes the system will be overclocked and yes eventually I will buy another 2 gigs of memory.

Motherboard
Gigbyte P965-DS3

PowerSupply
Inspire 500w Power Supply (120mm FAN)

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300

CPU Fan
Tuniq Tower 120

Memory
Kingston DDR2-800 Cas4 HyperX 512 x 2

Video
eVGA 256 Meg 7900GS

Harddrive

CDROM
1 DVD Reader
1 DVD Reader/Writer

Misc.
Wireless Ethernet Card
IDE Controller Card

I am reusing my ATX case which is almost a full tower with provisions for 2 80mm fans in the rear and 2 80mm fans in the front. That should be enough cooling right?

Thanks for your advice and help!
Looks good. Should fly once you get it overclocked. GL :) 
January 18, 2007 3:23:17 PM

Quote:
Harddrive

I have the DS3 motherboard and it only has one ide connector for the disc drives, not two. :( 

So I do not believe that those 2 ide storage drives will plug into the motherboard unless you are going to get some SATA-IDE adapters..
And the connector is at the bottom of the motherboard..an awkward place for it, so the ide cable may be a bit tight as it is in my system..

If you have any problems installing anything, feel free to keep on posting stuff or PM me for help.. I do not mind.

Good luck and don't break anything!
Related resources
January 18, 2007 3:40:54 PM

Quote:
Harddrive

I have the DS3 motherboard and it only has one ide connector for the disc drives, not two. :( 

So I do not believe that those 2 ide storage drives will plug into the motherboard unless you are going to get some SATA-IDE adapters..
And the connector is at the bottom of the motherboard..an awkward place for it, so the ide cable may be a bit tight as it is in my system..

If you have any problems installing anything, feel free to keep on posting stuff or PM me for help.. I do not mind.

Good luck and don't break anything!He did. :wink:

Quote:
[Misc.
Wireless Ethernet Card
IDE Controller Card
January 18, 2007 4:49:12 PM

Are Inspires PSUs any good? I'm not terribly knowledgeable on all the PSU brands and the build of them unfortunately but I don't remember Inspire PSUs being on any of the recommended PSU lists. I could be and wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong though.
January 18, 2007 5:12:57 PM

Honestly I have no idea. I picked it up at the local shop. The cheapo 500w was like $40. This one was $65. Build quality seems good but if it causes any problems I will return it.

Mark
January 18, 2007 5:27:08 PM

Unfortunately, when the PS goes, it usually doesn' t give much warning, and it takes a lot of other stuff with it, like the HD and sometimes the MB/CPU. Over the years (many), I've found the one area you don't want to scrimp is the PS. You might want to reference this article:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...
January 18, 2007 8:21:06 PM

If you are living in USA, newegg has a Fortron 400w PSU that is regarded as a very reliable good entry level PSU for around 50 USD after shipping. Adding 10 more dollars nets you the Fortron 450w. Around 70 bucks shipped and you can get a modular 550w Sunbeam Nuuo with Active PFC. It even comes with a spiffy silver 3.5 thermostat lcd monitor fan controller for your mobo and junk to waste that power and increase your power load for no significant reason. Oh joy (despite this fact, I still installed it but it doesn't take up too much power. Such a gimp.) Don't expect to run modern day SLI with it since it's only approved for lower end yesterday's forgotten video cards but it should be decent for everything else. You might be able to find better prices at other online stores other than newegg with the same reliability rating. Just check the BBB and reseller ratings sites to get a good idea. Also, pricewatch sucks so check the stores themselves. This only applies if you are in the US of course.

It's a lot cheaper if you order it with other things so the shipping cost is spread overall but since you have everything already, you are pretty much good to go if trust that Inspire (did you mean aspire?). PSUs of any build or grade can screw you over and sometimes lower end PSUs can last as long as the higher end. Kinda like playing Russian roulette with you trying to tip the scales in your favour with higher end PSUs.
January 18, 2007 8:39:33 PM

I am going to go trade the Inspire PSU for a ThermalTake ToughPower (Tier II). No sense to skimp just to save a couple bux.
!