kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
I'm having trouble getting a SATA drive to work on this motherboard.

For the last year or so I've been using a PATA boot drive on the computer using this motherboard.

Recently I bought a WD 500GB SATA hard drive to use as secondary storage. When I connected it to the SATA ports on the MB and booted up, the computer took over two mins to start loading windows. After it got into windows most everything was working fine, but I could not activate the new disk.

I checked device manager and it said something was wrong with the SATA/Raid device, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and after a reboot (which came up much faster) I still had the same problem.

I downloaded the lastest via drivers from the ECS site but installing them had no effect. I unpluged the new drive and rebooted and the device manager hard no problems with SATA/Raid device (none were connected).

I then took a WD 74 gig raptor from another system and plugged in the same power/data cables I had used for the WD500 GB drive and I noticed in BIOS that it recognized the drive a booted up with out a problem.

I took the 500GB drive to another computer and was able to bring it up activate it and format the disk without a problem. So the disk is not dead.

After formatting it I took the drive back to the original computer and it still refused to recognized the disk (in BIOS and in windows). In another post someone mentioned some raid drivers which I downloaded and installed but this also had no effect.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to download any newer versions BIOS from the ECS site as they all fail.

Anyone have any suggestions?

-------------
Athlon XP 2200
ECS KM400-M2
Nvidia 6600
WD 80 Gb
512 mb RAM
430 watt powersupply

pat

Expert
I'm having trouble getting a SATA drive to work on this motherboard.

For the last year or so I've been using a PATA boot drive on the computer using this motherboard.

Recently I bought a WD 500GB SATA hard drive to use as secondary storage. When I connected it to the SATA ports on the MB and booted up, the computer took over two mins to start loading windows. After it got into windows most everything was working fine, but I could not activate the new disk.

I checked device manager and it said something was wrong with the SATA/Raid device, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and after a reboot (which came up much faster) I still had the same problem.

I downloaded the lastest via drivers from the ECS site but installing them had no effect. I unpluged the new drive and rebooted and the device manager hard no problems with SATA/Raid device (none were connected).

I then took a WD 74 gig raptor from another system and plugged in the same power/data cables I had used for the WD500 GB drive and I noticed in BIOS that it recognized the drive a booted up with out a problem.

I took the 500GB drive to another computer and was able to bring it up activate it and format the disk without a problem. So the disk is not dead.

After formatting it I took the drive back to the original computer and it still refused to recognized the disk (in BIOS and in windows). In another post someone mentioned some raid drivers which I downloaded and installed but this also had no effect.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to download any newer versions BIOS from the ECS site as they all fail.

Anyone have any suggestions?

-------------
Athlon XP 2200
ECS KM400-M2
Nvidia 6600
WD 80 Gb
512 mb RAM
430 watt powersupply

Read the drive label. Ypur SATA controller don't support SATA3.0(SATAII). There is a jumper on the drive that will make the drive to revert back to SATA150. That is what you have to do.

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
it was version 1.0 and Pat had it on the money. I put the jumper on the right pins and then it recognized the drives without any problem.

mhokz02

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
sir how about version 3 ecs km400-m2??? i also have seagate 160gb SATA and cant detect the SATA........... pls help....