  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 23, 2004 8:22:34 PM

Hi All,

Can anybody help me with removing access to floppy drives and CD-ROM drives
using GPO's?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

More about : removing floppy rom access

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:03:35 AM

Chris Henderson wrote:

> Can anybody help me with removing access to floppy drives
> and CD-ROM drives using GPO's?
Hi

To block specified drive letters:

Prevent Access to the Contents of Selected Drives

It is the same as this Group Policy setting:

Prevent access to drives from My Computer
(User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
Explorer)

GPO reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gp/340.asp

You should combine it with this one if you want to hide the
drive(s) as well:

Hide Drives in My Computer

GPO reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gp/239.asp

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
July 26, 2004 1:21:49 PM

Thank you all very much everybody for your input. It's really appricated.

Chris

"Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Can anybody help me with removing access to floppy drives and CD-ROM
drives
> using GPO's?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

Related resources
July 26, 2004 5:34:22 PM

Hi,
Try DeviceLock www.devicelock.com . You can block access to any device you
want.
Sergey.

"Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Can anybody help me with removing access to floppy drives and CD-ROM
> drives
> using GPO's?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

July 26, 2004 5:34:23 PM

"Sergey" <sergey588@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<u0AZEPvcEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Hi,
> Try DeviceLock www.devicelock.com . You can block access to any device you
> want.
> Sergey.

You could also look at www.disknetpro.com which allows you to manage
rather than just block access to devices and media (USB / removable
media etc). Say you want to allow access to some media but not other
media then you can authorise individual media allowing only it to be
used. You can then encrypt USB / removable media and audit everything
that happens to it as well should you want!

Totally depends on how much control you want to achieve,

Cheers,

Paddy
!