January 29th or January 30th?

alveolus

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I'm in desperate need of a new desktop (AMD Athlon 700).

I game somewhat (CIV, NWN, Dragon Age when it comes out, maybe Oblivion) and given the age of my last computer, I run them to the ground. I'd prefer DX10 out the gate to prevent work later in putting in a new video card and all the drivers hassle.

I was going to buy a computer in December (XP) but than thought it may be better to wait till Vista comes out and than get the computer with Vista already installed. It saves me an having to install an OS but more importantly, it saves me from having to find and install all my other programs again (not a favorite task of mine; if you haven't already figured it out - I'm lazy). So I planned to buy January 30th (approx) using ncix.ca or some other canadian online vendor.

But having read the forums and all the "new build buying tonite ..." topics, it looks like most people are not waiting for Vista.

Am I being
1. Lazy (I can imagine some of the sarcastic responses already)
2. Efficient

Advice and suggestions welcome

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Go for XP now with free Vista upgrade. As soon as vista is released order your Vista upgrade package but don't install it for a couple of months, until all the bugs are ironed out of Vista and the drivers are optimised. At the moment the reports are that Vista slows down the performance of games because companies have not had the time to build optimal drivers to work with the new OS.

John_C

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Unless there is a compelling reason to buy something now, you are better off waiting. Technology will always get better and cheaper. But especially now, with a major OS right around the corner and a significant GPU launch following soon thereafter, a little patience will net you a better system for the same or less money (as well as fit well with your upgrade laziness).

jonmulzer

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
order your Vista upgrade package but don't install it for a couple of months, until all the bugs are ironed out of Vista and the drivers are optimised

Until they iron out all of the bugs and drivers are optimized? At the rate MS does that the next iteration of Windows will be out, hehe.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I hung on to Windows 98SE until 2002, with good reason: It performed better. Eventually XP got better and the prices on newer hardware were low enough to get a decent XP system going without blowing a bunch of money.

Same goes for Vista. I expect it won't even be a "good" OS until August. Can you wait THAT long?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Go with xp pro as most others are doing.Wait for microsoft to lower the prices on vista.And yes you are lazy by your own admission.LOL.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

alveolus

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Can't wait till august. As is always written on these forums - technology will continue to march on.

I have xp pro on my current computer and am quite happy with it.

To be honest, the real reason for not wanting to have to upgrade the os is my significant other. Everytime I upgrade, I'm at risk of losing anatomy if her data (i.e. old archived emails, contacts) don't get moved over (and there have been times where they have been "lost" in the shuffle.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well might I suggest you pull out the dusty blank cd-r and fire up the cd writer and start backing up her stuff.That shoulg keep your body parts in your possesion.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120