Sign in with
Your question

Should I put temp files on another partition or drive?

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2007 4:26:50 PM

In order to minimize fragmentation, I want to create a partition for tempory files such IE temp files, history and windows temp.

I will also move the paging file to a 2nd drive (not partition), once I scavenge it from my old computer.

My question is: Would it be good, bad or nuetral to put the temp files on the 2nd drive along with the paging file (each on own partition)? Or would it be better leave the temp on its own partion on the OS drive?

The 2nd drive may also serve as a data drive for photos, music, etc, if that matters.

Also, how large do you think the Temp partition should be?

Thank you!

Ramble
January 19, 2007 12:35:00 PM

This has been in practice for many users for a while, but does have some short comings when minor applications look to write or read from those default directories. The main concern here is that you want your drive to be identical when you move temp data and pagefiles over. Reason being is that you don't what to create a 'wait' or bottleneck between the data due to slower access\seek\spin times up or down the pipes.
January 19, 2007 6:01:37 PM

Youre saying the 2 drives should be the same speed?

If so, then thats a problem. My OS drive is SATAII while my legacy drives are IDE. Thank you for pointing this out.

That blows b/c I would have partitioned my OS drive differently had I known that. Then again, I did buy a copy of Partition Magic so I guess its time to try that puppy out.

I would still like to put the temp files in their own partion on the OS drive, however. How large should this partition generally be?
Related resources
January 19, 2007 6:37:26 PM

I should have stated that by moving this data off your primary OS drive, you will still have performance gains over leaving your 'home' drives to take to r\w duties.

I usually leave the pagefile anywhere under 10GB. That sounds like a lot, but I do run some applications that run MSDE that I put there. I just see no reason to make an uber small partition for your pagefile. May as well make it something worth using from time to time.
January 19, 2007 7:09:17 PM

Ah, OK. I see now. That's good.

Do you see any issue with putting both the pagefile partition and temporary files partition on the same drive (both on the 2nd drive, not the OS drive)?
January 19, 2007 7:53:15 PM

Shouldn't be a problem.
January 19, 2007 8:15:58 PM

Excellent. Thank you for your help with this.
!