NEED PSU help, not sure what to get

shdwdrgn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I need advice on what power supply to get for my new computer.

Specs are:
core 2 duo e6300
intel dg965wh mobo (will upgrade to a SLI capable mobo in the future)
2 x 2gb ram
8800gtx (SLI probably when get SLI mobo in future)
2 dvd burners
500gb hard drive(probably will get more in the future)

I originally had a Cooler master Real Power Pro 850w power supply which looked really nice but I had to RMA it because it was having stability issues. They no longer have it in stock so they are giving me a refund instead. So I have a choice of what I want to get.

I would like a power supply that will provide enough power for my future upgrades. And obviously I want it to be a good one. I don't mind spending a little more money on a godo quality PSU that will be stable and provide enough power for my devices and be able to last.

I'm thinking 850w or more probably just not sure what brand to get. Should I wait and get another of the Cooler Master (I've read good and bad things about them) or go for another brand. Some people I've seen have liked silverstone and other brands so I'm not sure. I've looked at reviews on newegg and the Cooler Master had the best reviews but other forums haven't said as good about it. While silverstone has gotten good reviews but wasn't as great on newegg. I just want a good quality PSU that will provide enough power and be stable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll most likely buy from newegg if at all possible.

shdwdrgn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
You think 700w will be enough? even with the extra upgrades and stuff that I want to do?

I've never heard of FSP or PC Power & Cooling or Seasonic....looks like I have some research to do.

Thanks for the information. Still open to other opinions though :)

shdwdrgn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Also, i don't mind spending a little more for a good power supply.

BTW. Forgot to mention this, but I have a thermaltake Kandalf case, so would need a PSU that would fit. the spot for the PSU isn't the biggest. Width and height need to be standard ATX size, length can be a little longer though, would like to still have room for the top mount fan though, so not too long.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
also look at the silverstone series, my 750w fits nicely in the armor (same as kandolf inside).

Also, why in the world would you upgrade to 8800GTS's in SLI with a E6300, the cpu is going to bottleneck your system.

DON'T follow the reviews on Newegg, most of those guys don't know their a$$holes from a hole in the wall.

shdwdrgn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I'm thinking of in the future. would need a new mobo anyway for sli, so that would mean a new processor cause it won't be for a couple of months minimum anyway until I do and I'm sure there will be more choices for processors by then :)

shdwdrgn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I have also been thinking of just springing for something heavy duty and not worry about it.

Was thinking about this 1000w unit from PC P&C

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703007

This is a good unit I assume? Am I just going overboard with this though?

Also, i want to make sure my case stays cool. And considering the length of this guy i would lose my top fan on my case. Think that will affect heat much? (its a thermaltake kandalf case) Also I'm not sure of the dimensions and the kandalf case has a very limited size the power supply can fit into, length like i said hits the fan and then the top mounted usb/firewire etc. width and height are blocked by the case mountings for the power supply. Anyone know if it will fit?

Thanks. I've been looking at so many power supplies this one may just me being crazy and going overboard, I don't know anymore.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
You do not need 1000W unless you are going to watercool, hardcore OC, SLI 8800's, and have like 6 drives.

700W GameXstream will do you fine. Basically anything Mpilch mentioned.

shdwdrgn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I am planning on getting more drives and SLI 8800gtx's but doubt I'll watercool or OC (atleast much). So, yea, 1000w is overkill. Like i said, I'm going crazy lol.

shdwdrgn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Hmm, I took a look at the OCZ and FSP power supply that mpilch said would work, and I notice one issue. They only have 2 of the PCI-E connectors. Each 8800gtx has plugs for 2 PCI-E connectors, so I would think that I would need 4 connectors total, or do I only have to use one of those connectors for each card?

Nope, it has 2. Look on the specification tab on newegg, and check for 4 pci-e connectors. Each 8800gtX requires 2, each 8800gtS only requires one. If a PSU has 4 pci-e connectors, it will have been designed to handle two 8800gtx's and the typical other mix of components. Double check by looking at the pictures to verify that there are 4 connectors, and also with the vendor's web site.
Stick with the better brands like FSP, seasonic, PC pwr&c, etc. There specs will be for continuous use, not peak use like lower quality psu's will advertise. Better units will also run quieter. The wattage is not the important number; look at the total amps on the 12v rails.