Sign in with
Your question

Newegg RMA'ing Starcraft 2 Collector's Edition without buyer's approval!

Tags:
  • Computer Shops
  • Starcraft 2
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
July 28, 2010 7:38:57 PM

First some setup: I just recieved three emails from Newegg.com that claimed I requested an RMA (which I never submitted) then that the product was recieved, and that the RMA had been posted all within 1 minutes of each other. I.E. they essentially recalled the item without issuing a recall and making it look like the customer requested the action. When I contacted customer support that said they would "look into the issue" but were very passive aggressive about actually resolving the situation. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

_WAter_

More about : newegg rma ing starcraft collector edition buyer approval

July 28, 2010 9:51:54 PM

The same thing happened to me. I came home and saw 3 emails saying I requested an RMA, which I never even did.
July 28, 2010 11:48:27 PM

5 hours later I recieved an email from Newegg explaining that the RMA is part of their process for refunding money quicker. Apparently they have problems with inventory and like to charge customers for stock they don't have, mark the orders as shipped even though they don't have the stock, and then recall the order using the customer return method which can take up to 30 days to refund the money. All because they claim it's the "quickest" way to refund a purchase for an item they shouldn't have charged the customer for in the first place. In order to alleviate the situation they offer a $10 gift card...

It cost me $130 on ebay to replace the $100 order Newegg failed to make good on, one they could have easily cancelled, recalled, or at least notified me prior to RMA'ing my order AFTER it had a tracking number.

It took almost three hours from the point they gave me a tracking number to the point they RMA'ed the item. Given the item was marked "shipped" the entire time, I'm wondering why they don't use the "packing" status they have on their website to indicate they are still, um, you know, packing the item. Shipped indicates they have sufficient stock and it is packed and ready for deilvery, which obviously they didn't and it wasn't.

Given I ordered this shortly after it became available for pre-order (04/15/10), and they still managed to run out of stock. I will never use Newegg again.

_WAter_
July 29, 2010 4:28:10 AM

I wen't to an online retail store and got the game for $102 after $5 off.
Kmart, Walmart, Target, and Sears still have them in stock.
Also i wasn't happy about what Newegg did, charging my account with really no reason, but i'm fine with $8 dollars more to spend.

This is my second time having my pre-order shot down, so i now know NewEgg pre-orders are chancy.
July 29, 2010 7:35:23 AM

Occasionally a newegg rep makes an appearance on the forums, so perhaps he/she will in regard to this issue and can work things out with you.
July 29, 2010 5:56:39 PM

Didn't think to check KMart and such, could have saved $20, oh well...

However, there's a new update! I just recieved a new invoice and tracking number. The invoice is the refund for the RMA, the tracking number is sitting at "billing information recieved" which only means Newegg has paid for shipping. My credit card hasn't actually posted the refund yet (that may take a few days) so I'm still clueless as to what they are actually doing. Aside from the form letter I recieved I have heard nothing in regards to the outcome of my dispute. Mind you, the form letter is pretty conclusive, but I've been told that I will recieve an email from a "related department" upon further investigation (once prior and once after recieving the form letter) so I'm stuck in limbo...

Newegg still needs to work on their comunication, internally and externally. The out of stock notice should have gone out before the RMA, not 5 hours after. Similarly while the RMA process may be quicker for issuing a refund, the emails make it look like the Buyer requested the action. Newegg needs a seperate process for recalling orders in the case of insufficient stock. Being told I'm not getting my product because I requested it is not how I want to wake up in the morning. While getting the out of stock notice first would significantly improve the situation, having a seperate process to more quickly handle out of stock issues would be even better. While it might not occur often, an incident like this can easily cost customers so it has high impact.

_WAter_
July 30, 2010 5:39:21 AM

For the record, I had the same thing happen to me. It was nice that Newegg offered $10, however I feel it doesn't resolve the problem. Having preordered the collector’s edition you might get how this really irritated me. With the local stores not stocking the collectors, I was forced to order from another online retailer. As of now, I’m still waiting for my copy to ship…
Anonymous
July 30, 2010 10:06:15 PM

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I was really upset at first, since I figured I'd be stuck with the regular edition. Not the worst thing in the world, but I'd become pretty worked up on all of the collector's goodies. Anyway, I ended up ordering it from Target; it turns out most of the big box stores (that don't specialize in electronics) still have the collector's edition available on their websites. I guess the massive preorder crowd just forgot those guys existed. So, I now have a Newegg gift card and I'll still get the collector's edition, albeit a week later than I'd planned. Seems fair enough to me, but I doubt I'll be doing any preorders on Newegg again. They'll still be my first stop for hardware, thanks to their compensation for the frustration they caused.
August 2, 2010 4:58:40 PM

Wow, that is messed up. I guess go amazon next time.
August 2, 2010 8:26:05 PM

WAterTriAd said:
First some setup: I just recieved three emails from Newegg.com that claimed I requested an RMA (which I never submitted) then that the product was recieved, and that the RMA had been posted all within 1 minutes of each other. I.E. they essentially recalled the item without issuing a recall and making it look like the customer requested the action. When I contacted customer support that said they would "look into the issue" but were very passive aggressive about actually resolving the situation. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

_WAter_

Dear watertriad,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Customer satisfaction is our number one priority and its seems we weren't able to meet this for you.
I would like to offer my assistance in resolving this for you. Please contact me at Maverick.B.Iniguez@newegg.com or call me at 1800-390-1119 ext 25062, to assist you with this matter.

Thank you.

Newegg.com

August 14, 2010 8:17:59 AM

Why would you EVER buy a video game from newegg??

Amazon or just get off you butt and preorder at Gamestop for video games.

Newegg has always had problems with shipping video games in my experience in the masses.

Let them stick with what they do best, computer parts. Nothing else

*I'm looking at you newegg mall*
!