NETWORK CONNECTIONS query

In 2 adjacent PCI slots are 2 LAN cards
Ethernet cable modem goes to one, crossover network cable to the second.

"Network Connections" panel sees the cards, reports them as L.A.C. and
L.A.C. 3

Where, please, is Local Area Connection 2, and why isn't it reporting?

System's working fine, just curious why new card became LAC3, missing out 2.

Len

This occurred because when the second network card was setup, LAN 2 was
already present. If you move the NIC to a new slot, Windows sets it up as a
new LAN connection because it considers an LAN which is setup, but not
present, to still be valid and so will reserve the name in the event it were
to come back.

For example, if you set up two NIC's in a newly configured system, they will
be labeled "LAN" and "LAN2". Move the NIC to a new slot, and when you
reboot, the moved NIC will be named "LAN3" and one of the original LAN
connections will not be present. Move the NIC back to it's original
position and the original LAN connection should show, but LAN3 will not be
present. This is just how Windows works.

You can safely rename "LAN3" to "LAN2".

"Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> In 2 adjacent PCI slots are 2 LAN cards
> Ethernet cable modem goes to one, crossover network cable to the second.
>
> "Network Connections" panel sees the cards, reports them as L.A.C. and
> L.A.C. 3
>
> Where, please, is Local Area Connection 2, and why isn't it reporting?
>
> System's working fine, just curious why new card became LAC3, missing out
> 2.
>
> Len

The same thing can happen with even a seemingly minor change to the LAN
settings. It's strictly conjecture, but I believe Windows handles these
settings in this fashion as a method protecting against competing network
settings. For example, if you set up a NIC with static settings, the remove
the NIC, replace it with another card and assign the same settings, you may
receive a warning stating that another NIC is already configured with these
settings. Obviously, it's safe to proceed as that card is no longer
present, but Windows does remember the settings on the removed NIC.

I'm sure there's a way to remove those settings, but as it's easily
bypassed, I've never bothered trying.

I understand it's minor, but I also understand your curiosity, so don't
worry about "going away" ;-)

I think I understand the explanation, but am at a loss to understand how it
relates, since I didn't move first card (slot 3) when installing new card in
Slot 4. Nor have I rebuilt the system.
First LAN card directly replaced dial-up modem card in slot 3, 3 years ago.
Perhaps the modem was Local Area Connection 1. But if it was, then
logically, first Lan card would have been named L A C 2. Perhaps not, then,
(and dial-up modem is not a Lan card anyway). Still confused!

However, as said, was just curious, and as it's correctible by re-naming,
I'll do that and go away.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Len

"DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
> This occurred because when the second network card was setup, LAN 2 was
> already present. If you move the NIC to a new slot, Windows sets it up as
> a new LAN connection because it considers an LAN which is setup, but not
> present, to still be valid and so will reserve the name in the event it
> were to come back.
>
> For example, if you set up two NIC's in a newly configured system, they
> will be labeled "LAN" and "LAN2". Move the NIC to a new slot, and when
> you reboot, the moved NIC will be named "LAN3" and one of the original LAN
> connections will not be present. Move the NIC back to it's original
> position and the original LAN connection should show, but LAN3 will not be
> present. This is just how Windows works.
>
> You can safely rename "LAN3" to "LAN2".
>
> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>> In 2 adjacent PCI slots are 2 LAN cards
>> Ethernet cable modem goes to one, crossover network cable to the second.
>>
>> "Network Connections" panel sees the cards, reports them as L.A.C. and
>> L.A.C. 3
>>
>> Where, please, is Local Area Connection 2, and why isn't it reporting?
>>
>> System's working fine, just curious why new card became LAC3, missing out
>> 2.
>>
>> Len

You are getting replies that have nothing to do with what you
wish to find out. Go to this web site for the basics.

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-netxp.asp

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes a router for a
dialup. They are probably made because I can make a NAT
router using a standalone Linux boxen.
I am not really sure about the LAC 2, 3 etc, etc. But in W2K
there was a dashboard in control panel to add and remove hardware.
Because of the WPA this is not in XP. They just leave your PC
cluttered with unused devices.
good luck