Questions about OTA mapping/programming

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 11, 2004 2:41:11 AM

----

Had VOOM installed last Thursday----everything went great and everything is
working fine----except, maybe, my OTA channels.

Questions:

When referring to the internet program guide at VOOM's website, OTA channels
listed there for my zip code (70518) are as follows:

2.2 WBRZDT This station is in Baton Rouge and is 47.7 miles away
3.1 KATCDT This station is in Lafayette and is 8.4 miles away
5.1 KALBDT This station is in Alexandria and is 70.2 miles away
10.1 KLFYDT This station is in Lafayette and is 23.1 miles away
24.1 KLPBDT This station is in Lafayette and is 23.1 miles away
24.2 KLPBDT2 Same as above
24.3 KLPBDT3 Same as above
33.1 WVLADT This station is in Baton Rouge and is 46.2 miles away

Of the above channels, the ones that appear on the STB's guide, and are
being received with no problems are:

3.1 KATCDT
10.1 KLFYDT
24.1 KLPBDT
24.2 KLPBDT2
24.3 KLPBDT3

These do not appear in the STB's guide:

2.2 WBRZDT
5.1 KALBDT
33.1 WVLADT

Should these latter 3 appear in the STB's guide? Or will they show up only
if the antenna is capable of pulling them in? (These latter 3 are probably
out of the range of the OTA antenna's capability; the antenna that was sent
is a Winegard Sensar II Model GS 2000A). If I had an antenna capable of
pulling them in, how would the STB "know"? Would they then just "appear" in
the STB's guide (or map)? Or, does the box have to be re-booted or factory
reset to get them to show up once a signal is received? (I have not been
able to find a channel seek function or any way to add them in manually).
Also, is the STB capable of receiving analog signals? There is a
"terrestrial" input in the back of the box which should enable this
function, but, here again, no way that I can see to force the box to seek
and display these signals. (I have many analog stations available to my
location well within the capabilities of the Winegard).

Someone please educate me--and thanks for your answers

Ferdy
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 7:06:18 AM

I don't have a satelite system but based on past experience with TV technology I would guess as follows: Terrestrial means OTA; but since the stations you list all have "DT" in them it appears that the STB is limited to digital OTA. Since the local digital channels "appeared" it seems that your STB must have an auto seek function only. You said the STB has a "terrestrial input" but you did not say if you were using it; if not, what is the input called that you are using with the OTA antenna? Perhaps the system is meant to be used with a splitter on the OTA antenna with one output to "terrestrial" and the other to your TV's antenna input. The Voom people should be able to answer these basic operational questions.

"FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:5SXnc.104441$oN1.32821@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
----

[...]

May 11, 2004 2:14:47 PM

On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:41:11 -0500, "FerdyPooh"
<fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>----
>
>Had VOOM installed last Thursday----everything went great and everything is
>working fine----except, maybe, my OTA channels.
>

>Questions:
>
>When referring to the internet program guide at VOOM's website, OTA channels
>listed there for my zip code (70518) are as follows:
>
>2.2 WBRZDT This station is in Baton Rouge and is 47.7 miles away
>3.1 KATCDT This station is in Lafayette and is 8.4 miles away
>5.1 KALBDT This station is in Alexandria and is 70.2 miles away
>10.1 KLFYDT This station is in Lafayette and is 23.1 miles away
>24.1 KLPBDT This station is in Lafayette and is 23.1 miles away
>24.2 KLPBDT2 Same as above
>24.3 KLPBDT3 Same as above
>33.1 WVLADT This station is in Baton Rouge and is 46.2 miles away
>
>Of the above channels, the ones that appear on the STB's guide, and are
>being received with no problems are:
>
>3.1 KATCDT
>10.1 KLFYDT
>24.1 KLPBDT
>24.2 KLPBDT2
>24.3 KLPBDT3
>
>These do not appear in the STB's guide:
>
>2.2 WBRZDT
>5.1 KALBDT
>33.1 WVLADT

Most set tops need too receive the signal before the remapping will
occur. (Channel remapping information is embedded in the OTA data
stream.)

After plugging in your zip code into
http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

and you'll find out that the stations you're currently receiving are
in 301 to 313 compass heading..

KALB-DT (compass heading 330) is not listed and may not be on the
air.. Email them and ask the question.

Same goes for WVLA..

Assuming that your antenna is pointed at the stations you're currently
receiving (~305 degrees), the remaining stations would be in a
negative gain side lobe for YAGI antennas. (not good) The signals
coming in from those directions, (60 to 120 degrees off axis), will
experience a 5 to 15 dB loss instead of a 10 to 15 dB gain.

WGMB-DT compass heading 68 @ 42.3 miles
WBRZ-DT compass heading 73 @ 46.5 miles
WVLA compass heading 68 @ 42.3

Think of it this way.. It's very dark. Your flashlight is pointed
directly in front of you and you're looking for something to the right
and behind where you are looking . You won't be able to see it..
Neither will your (H)DTV receiver.

You'll probably need a second antenna or an antenna rotor and point
your antenna in the other direction.

>Should these latter 3 appear in the STB's guide? Or will they show up only
>if the antenna is capable of pulling them in? (These latter 3 are probably
>out of the range of the OTA antenna's capability; the antenna that was sent
>is a Winegard Sensar II Model GS 2000A). If I had an antenna capable of
>pulling them in, how would the STB "know"? Would they then just "appear" in
>the STB's guide (or map)? Or, does the box have to be re-booted or factory
>reset to get them to show up once a signal is received? (I have not been
>able to find a channel seek function or any way to add them in manually).
>Also, is the STB capable of receiving analog signals? There is a
>"terrestrial" input in the back of the box which should enable this
>function, but, here again, no way that I can see to force the box to seek
>and display these signals. (I have many analog stations available to my
>location well within the capabilities of the Winegard).
>
>Someone please educate me--and thanks for your answers
May 11, 2004 3:35:57 PM

are u in syracuse?

just wondering. have u ever been to Ralins on Burnet Ave?

"FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> ----
>
> Had VOOM installed last Thursday----everything went great and everything
is
> working fine----except, maybe, my OTA channels.
>

> Questions:
>
> When referring to the internet program guide at VOOM's website, OTA
channels
> listed there for my zip code (70518) are as follows:
>
> 2.2 WBRZDT This station is in Baton Rouge and is 47.7 miles away
> 3.1 KATCDT This station is in Lafayette and is 8.4 miles away
> 5.1 KALBDT This station is in Alexandria and is 70.2 miles away
> 10.1 KLFYDT This station is in Lafayette and is 23.1 miles away
> 24.1 KLPBDT This station is in Lafayette and is 23.1 miles away
> 24.2 KLPBDT2 Same as above
> 24.3 KLPBDT3 Same as above
> 33.1 WVLADT This station is in Baton Rouge and is 46.2 miles away
>
> Of the above channels, the ones that appear on the STB's guide, and are
> being received with no problems are:
>
> 3.1 KATCDT
> 10.1 KLFYDT
> 24.1 KLPBDT
> 24.2 KLPBDT2
> 24.3 KLPBDT3
>
> These do not appear in the STB's guide:
>
> 2.2 WBRZDT
> 5.1 KALBDT
> 33.1 WVLADT
>

> Should these latter 3 appear in the STB's guide? Or will they show up only
> if the antenna is capable of pulling them in? (These latter 3 are probably
> out of the range of the OTA antenna's capability; the antenna that was
sent
> is a Winegard Sensar II Model GS 2000A). If I had an antenna capable of
> pulling them in, how would the STB "know"? Would they then just "appear"
in
> the STB's guide (or map)? Or, does the box have to be re-booted or factory
> reset to get them to show up once a signal is received? (I have not been
> able to find a channel seek function or any way to add them in manually).
> Also, is the STB capable of receiving analog signals? There is a
> "terrestrial" input in the back of the box which should enable this
> function, but, here again, no way that I can see to force the box to seek
> and display these signals. (I have many analog stations available to my
> location well within the capabilities of the Winegard).
>
> Someone please educate me--and thanks for your answers
>

> Ferdy

May 14, 2004 4:06:12 AM

Voom doesn't have any "scanning" capabilities yet. The next software patch is supposed to add this.
The channels you are missing might not be in your current "mapping". You might have to wait a few
more weeks until the patch is ready.

-Chris
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 4:06:13 AM

But they are in my "mapping". I checked with VOOM CSR and they sent a "hit"
to my box to try and fix it, but it didn't work. Escalating the problem I
was told-----

"Chris" <c.dynak@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Voom doesn't have any "scanning" capabilities yet. The next software patch
is supposed to add this.
> The channels you are missing might not be in your current "mapping". You
might have to wait a few
> more weeks until the patch is ready.
>
> -Chris

May 14, 2004 7:13:48 PM

> But they are in my "mapping". I checked with VOOM CSR and they sent a "hit"
> to my box to try and fix it, but it didn't work. Escalating the problem I
> was told-----

Then your mapping is screwed up. A common problem. Check out the Voom forum at www.satelliteguys.us
All your questions can be answered there.

-Chris
!