Bad lamp in Sony KF-42WE610, should I buy?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 11, 2004 11:36:10 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in the Sony KF-42WE610 Rear Projection LCD but I'm
hesistant to purchase because of all the feedback from the web and
also the different newsgroups saying that it has a bad lamp. I
noticed that within the last two months there seems to be less new
postings about it and wonder if Sony truely corrected the issue.
Yestereday, I went to the Sony Style store in San Francisco and the
sales person said "oh no, that issue was only for the 50 inch and not
the 42 inch units." I'm sure if I started out the conversation saying
that I wanted the 50 inch model, he would of said that it was the 42
that was defective.

Please if anyone could tell me if it has been fixed, what manufacture
date should I look for or should I stay clear of this unit and wait it
out longer?

Thanks in advance
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:50:18 PM

kelly wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm interested in the Sony KF-42WE610 Rear Projection LCD but I'm
> hesistant to purchase because of all the feedback from the web and
> also the different newsgroups saying that it has a bad lamp. I
> noticed that within the last two months there seems to be less new
> postings about it and wonder if Sony truely corrected the issue.
> Yestereday, I went to the Sony Style store in San Francisco and the
> sales person said "oh no, that issue was only for the 50 inch and not
> the 42 inch units." I'm sure if I started out the conversation saying
> that I wanted the 50 inch model, he would of said that it was the 42
> that was defective.
>
> Please if anyone could tell me if it has been fixed, what manufacture
> date should I look for or should I stay clear of this unit and wait it
> out longer?
>
> Thanks in advance

According to "reports", it appers Sony switched the lamps for another
brand. This was "supposedly" the reason for the set being out of stock
for a while. No official word from Sony, but I know at least one person
who has had the 50" model for about 4 months and has not yet had an
issue. I personally love the set.

--
David G.
!