Translating group policy GUID til DN

pDK

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004

Hi

Can someone give a hint on the possibility to translate a
GPO GUID to DN.
I had hoped that guid2obj.exe could do it but no luck

My goal is to translate the GUID of a policy in %
systempath%\sysvol\domain\policies\GUID

Can somebody shed som elight on this one

Are you looking to do this programmatically? The DN of a GPO is simply the
GUID appended to the CN=policies,CN=system container within your domain. So,
for example if the GUID of a GPO is {0AE0B115-0581-4013-92D2-4DA33B273E3B},
then its DN is

CN={0AE0B115-0581-4013-92D2-4DA33B273E3B},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=mydomain,
DC=com

where mydomain.com is the name of your domain.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management

"pdk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can someone give a hint on the possibility to translate a
> GPO GUID to DN.
> I had hoped that guid2obj.exe could do it but no luck
>
> My goal is to translate the GUID of a policy in %
> systempath%\sysvol\domain\policies\GUID
>
> Can somebody shed som elight on this one

pDK

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004

Perfect !!

I will try this out and let you know the result.

BTW are there other arewas where this solutions is
represented.
Futhermore any whitepapers on this that I have missed ??

I've seen info about this peppered throughout various GPO related docs.
There's also this article that I found:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216359