Sign in with
Your question

Help me upgrade my A64 3000+, A8N-SLi, 1GB, 6600GT, 24in WS.

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
January 18, 2007 7:39:12 PM

Like the title says, I have the following setup...

CPU: A64 3000+ Winchester
RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC 3200
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB + Firewire attached 500GB WD MyBook
PSU: ENERMAX All In One EG565P-VE FMA2.0 SLI ATX12V 535W PS
GPU: MSI NX6600GT-TD128E GeForce 6600GT 128MB
Display: Dell 2407WFP 24" Widescreen Flat Panel

Goals: (In rough order of importance)

Better performance running WoW, DoW:D C at widescreen resolutions. I also want nice performance in Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay which I haven't played in about 2 years but want to finish.

Keep things quiet. I don't want much more noise from the box than I get now.

Keep things stable. I'm not opposed to overclocking so long as my machine runs rock solid such that I could leave it on for days at a time without having to think about or use anything more exotic than an aftermarket heat sink.

Better performance when running VMs which I do maybe once a week.

Better performance ripping CDs to FLAC.

Any improved performance in graphic apps that I dabble in.

What I'm Considering:

XFX PVT71JYHE9 GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP ExTreme Edition Video Card - Retail
$279.99

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail
$89.99

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 2.0GHz Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA170CDBOX - Retail
$194.00

Why:

I have a habit of buying lower end video cards then being disappointed in their performance. I'd like to be to run the games I play currently flawlessly. The 7950GT seems like it should be high enough to do this. $300 is about my limit for a video card. I've typically spent $150-200. The XFX card is fanless which meets my noise requirement.

I feel like I need more RAM for those times I need to run a VM and bog down between apps.

The CPU looks like the best bang for the buck as Socket 939 goes.

Building a new C2D system is very tempting but If I do that I want to build it 100% and leave this box completely intact (Save for the display and external drive which I'd carry over). If I can do it right and the right price is right (about $1000) I'd strongly consider it.

Otherwise, I'd limp along with these upgrades and reconsider the situation in a year and possibly transfer the new video card into a new C2D box (Or whatever is hot at the time) and reinstall the 6600GT in this one.

Let me know what you think. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

More about : upgrade a64 3000 a8n sli 1gb 6600gt 24in

January 18, 2007 7:43:33 PM

Some people here might recommend building a C2D system now rather than upgrading, but I won't.

You have a pretty decent plan there. OC that Opty to ~2.6 (should do that rather easily on stock air) and you'll have a system as good as the low-end C2D system you'd be able to build for $1000.
January 18, 2007 7:49:35 PM

Quote:
Some people here might recommend building a C2D system now rather than upgrading, but I won't.

You have a pretty decent plan there. OC that Opty to ~2.6 (should do that rather easily on stock air) and you'll have a system as good as the low-end C2D system you'd be able to build for $1000.

Thanks for the reply.

I really don't want to make a lateral move just to be running a C2D. If I switch over I'd rather it be in a year or two when I'm willing to spend more on a completely new build.
January 18, 2007 10:27:22 PM

I agree, you should stick with your plan. There's no need to switch over to C2D now when the same thing will likely happen again the next time you upgrade. There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning the best your current system can handle. It's cheaper and more stable that way.

I did the same thing. I had an 800mhz Duron system with a GeForce 1, so I replaced it with a $500 media PC from NewEgg using non-proprietary parts. Then I upgraded bits at a time as I got the money until I had my current system. And the best part, as you said, is you have parts left over for another machine. Two good comps are always better than one.
!