Homemade HDD cooling, easy and cheap.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I had nothing to do that night i was looking at my old cpu fan from a 200mhz and i decited to put it at work, why not build a hdd cooling <lawl>. So i took the Heatsink and drill it See <Picture 1>, then i took the screw from my harddrive and screw it into hard drive <Picture 2> then i just add the fan to it <Picture 3>. I didnt think so it would cool but like i say i had nothing to do and i like to work with my hand.
So i took that software Speedfan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) and look at the hdd temperature, withou it was at 39Celcius with that little fan it drop down to 31Celcius. I was surprise that it cool it down to 8 Celcius, actually i have a 5.25" hard drive bay cooling and it say at the same temperature of that little fan i installed withou need to use a 5.25" space. Easy and fast, i just wanted to share that experience. If you have little fan from old system or just go to your local computer tech and ask if he have some old fans that he can give you. I know that hd cooling is not very important but it reduce a bit the air temperature in your case. Very minimal but again :p , sorry for bad quality image.

Picture 1
0000801kf1.jpg

Picture 2
0000799cq0.jpg

Picture 3
0000798cr0.jpg

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I was surprise that it cool it down to 8 Celcius,

I'm not so surprised really, although an 8C reduction is nothing to laugh about. I've moved HDs in cases with poor airflow (none around the HD) into the flow path of a fan and have seen reductions of about 20C. You might get better cooling by using cable ties to bind the HS to the top or bottom of the HD with the fan attached to the HS as in your photos. I'm sure that having the HD rack between the HD and the HS is not the optimal cooling arrangement. Much of the 8C reduction you got might be realized without the HS in the case at all if the fan blows over the HD.