DirecTV new HD channels?

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 11, 2004 10:55:27 PM

Has anyone heard any rumors about what and when for new HDTV channels on
DirecTV?

More about : directv channels

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 1:10:06 AM

D* is generally mum about channels they're adding until they actually ad
them, so rumors are often just that..rumors.

I'd expect some announcements in late June/July once 7s is up

"Jerry Medlin" <medlin@medlin.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone heard any rumors about what and when for new HDTV channels on
> DirecTV?

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 1:10:07 AM

My theory as to why the HD east-coast feeds for both HBO and Showtime show
up on redundant channels is that we are going to get the west coast feeds
pretty soon.

"bbodin" <nospam!bbodin@airmail.net> wrote in message
news:o iboc.26412$MG.13600@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com...
> D* is generally mum about channels they're adding until they actually ad
> them, so rumors are often just that..rumors.
>
> I'd expect some announcements in late June/July once 7s is up
>
> "Jerry Medlin" <medlin@medlin.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone heard any rumors about what and when for new HDTV channels on
> > DirecTV?

May 12, 2004 1:10:08 AM

"nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> My theory as to why the HD east-coast feeds for both HBO and Showtime show
> up on redundant channels is that we are going to get the west coast feeds
> pretty soon.

That would be one big waste of bandwidth.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:21:27 AM

"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
:
: "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
: news:10a2kn7cbhcemab@corp.supernews.com...
: > My theory as to why the HD east-coast feeds for both HBO and
Showtime show
: > up on redundant channels is that we are going to get the west coast
feeds
: > pretty soon.
:
: That would be one big waste of bandwidth.
:
===========
Besides that, it makes no sense to do such a thing.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:25:14 PM

Excuse me? Are you guys on the east coast or what? Right now the bandwith
is being used by transmitting the same HD signal over two channels. You're
saying it would be a waste of bandwith to use the channels to transmit two
different signals. To those of us on the west coast, it would not be a
waste of bandwith to have, say, The Sopranos in HD available at 9 pm instead
of 6 pm. And have you ever noticed that HBO SD is available in both
east-coast and west-coast feeds? Must be some people who use each feed,
maybe? It's the same idea.

"Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
> :
> : "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> : news:10a2kn7cbhcemab@corp.supernews.com...
> : > My theory as to why the HD east-coast feeds for both HBO and
> Showtime show
> : > up on redundant channels is that we are going to get the west coast
> feeds
> : > pretty soon.
> :
> : That would be one big waste of bandwidth.
> :
> ===========
> Besides that, it makes no sense to do such a thing.

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 6:28:52 PM

: Excuse me? Are you guys on the east coast or what? Right now the
bandwith
: is being used by transmitting the same HD signal over two channels.
You're
: saying it would be a waste of bandwith to use the channels to transmit
two
: different signals. To those of us on the west coast, it would not be
: waste of bandwith to have, say, The Sopranos in HD available at 9 pm
instead
: of 6 pm. And have you ever noticed that HBO SD is available in both
: east-coast and west-coast feeds? Must be some people who use each
feed,
: maybe? It's the same idea.

========================
Why broadcast the SAME programs on two different channels?
It is a waste of bandwidth! There is nothing wrong with the current 3
hour difference.
They could use the bandwidth better by putting on a DIFFERENT HD
channel.
==========================
:
:
: "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
: news:40a23217$0$56309$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com...
: > "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
: > news:a8ednRfs8uD6BzzdRVn-jA@comcast.com...
: > :
: > : "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
: > : news:10a2kn7cbhcemab@corp.supernews.com...
: > : > My theory as to why the HD east-coast feeds for both HBO and
: > Showtime show
: > : > up on redundant channels is that we are going to get the west
coast
: > feeds
: > : > pretty soon.
: > :
: > : That would be one big waste of bandwidth.
: > :
: > ===========
: > Besides that, it makes no sense to do such a thing.
: >
: >
:
:
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 6:56:28 PM

You say, "There is nothing wrong with the current 3 hour difference." Well,
I wasn't actually advocating against the existence of time zones. If you
mean that I should adjust my schedule to leave work early so I can watch at
5pm what the east coast watches at 8, no thanks. If it turns out Directv
thinks the way you do, I'll migrate to cable or Voom (where they have both
east and west HBO HD feeds, by the way.) So maybe Directv will think of it
not as a waste of bandwidth, but as serving their customers.

nielsdt

> "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> : Excuse me? Are you guys on the east coast or what? Right now the
> bandwith
> : is being used by transmitting the same HD signal over two channels.
> You're
> : saying it would be a waste of bandwith to use the channels to transmit
> two
> : different signals. To those of us on the west coast, it would not be
> : waste of bandwith to have, say, The Sopranos in HD available at 9 pm
> instead
> : of 6 pm. And have you ever noticed that HBO SD is available in both
> : east-coast and west-coast feeds? Must be some people who use each
> feed,
> : maybe? It's the same idea.
>
> ========================
> Why broadcast the SAME programs on two different channels?
> It is a waste of bandwidth! There is nothing wrong with the current 3
> hour difference.
> They could use the bandwidth better by putting on a DIFFERENT HD
> channel.
> ==========================
> :
> :
> : "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
> : news:40a23217$0$56309$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com...
> : > "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
> : > news:a8ednRfs8uD6BzzdRVn-jA@comcast.com...
> : > :
> : > : "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> : > : news:10a2kn7cbhcemab@corp.supernews.com...
> : > : > My theory as to why the HD east-coast feeds for both HBO and
> : > Showtime show
> : > : > up on redundant channels is that we are going to get the west
> coast
> : > feeds
> : > : > pretty soon.
> : > :
> : > : That would be one big waste of bandwidth.
> : > :
> : > ===========
> : > Besides that, it makes no sense to do such a thing.
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 9:31:33 PM

: You say, "There is nothing wrong with the current 3 hour difference."
Well,
: I wasn't actually advocating against the existence of time zones. If
you
: mean that I should adjust my schedule to leave work early so I can
watch at
: 5pm what the east coast watches at 8, no thanks. If it turns out
Directv
: thinks the way you do, I'll migrate to cable or Voom (where they have
both
: east and west HBO HD feeds, by the way.) So maybe Directv will think
of it
: not as a waste of bandwidth, but as serving their customers.
:
: nielsdt
:
================
They could better serve their customers by presenting MORE HD channels.
====================
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 12:48:09 AM

"nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> You say, "There is nothing wrong with the current 3 hour difference."
> Well,
> I wasn't actually advocating against the existence of time zones. If you
> mean that I should adjust my schedule to leave work early so I can watch
> at
> 5pm what the east coast watches at 8, no thanks. If it turns out Directv
> thinks the way you do, I'll migrate to cable or Voom (where they have both
> east and west HBO HD feeds, by the way.) So maybe Directv will think of
> it
> not as a waste of bandwidth, but as serving their customers.
>
> nielsdt

I'll have my Direct TV HD Tivo by next week and it won't matter. I'd rather
have more HD channels with a unified timeslot. Actually I find most of the
time I prefer watching the East Coast feeds on the West Coast and getting
some sleep. Ad to that the fact that HBO has a number of showings of most
programs at different times of the day during the week....it really doesn't
matter unless you absolutely gotta watch Sopranos on the first showing of
the week.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 2:07:13 AM

"nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in

> Right now the bandwith
> is being used by transmitting the same HD signal over two channels.

I think that the same signal is mapped to different numbered channels at
the receiver rather than the same signal being broadcast on two different
channels from the satellite.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 2:07:14 AM

Any idea why they would do that? The duplicate channels appeared fairly
recently.

"Jeff Shoaf" <jeffshoaf-@-alltel.net> wrote in message
> "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in
>
> > Right now the bandwith
> > is being used by transmitting the same HD signal over two channels.
>
> I think that the same signal is mapped to different numbered channels at
> the receiver rather than the same signal being broadcast on two different
> channels from the satellite.

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 2:20:24 AM

C'mon over to VOOM----they need help to stay afloat, and believe me, they
are trying HARD to please customers at the moment---if you complain, they DO
listen----

> [...]
> > : "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > : news:40a23217$0$56309$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com...
> > : > "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
> > : > news:a8ednRfs8uD6BzzdRVn-jA@comcast.com...
> > : > :
> > : > : "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in message
> > : > : news:10a2kn7cbhcemab@corp.supernews.com...
> > : > : > My theory as to why the HD east-coast feeds for both HBO and
> > : > Showtime show
> > : > : > up on redundant channels is that we are going to get the west
> > coast
> > : > feeds
> > : > : > pretty soon.
> > : > :
> > : > : That would be one big waste of bandwidth.
> > : > :
> > : > ===========
> > : > Besides that, it makes no sense to do such a thing.

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 9:14:35 AM

> Why broadcast the SAME programs on two different channels?
> It is a waste of bandwidth! There is nothing wrong with the current 3
> hour difference.
> They could use the bandwidth better by putting on a DIFFERENT HD
> channel.

I'm sure you'd change your tune if they showed the Sopranos at 9pm
Pacific time, Midnight EST.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 10:55:26 AM

"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: > Why broadcast the SAME programs on two different channels?
: > It is a waste of bandwidth! There is nothing wrong with the current
3
: > hour difference.
: > They could use the bandwidth better by putting on a DIFFERENT HD
: > channel.
:
: I'm sure you'd change your tune if they showed the Sopranos at 9pm
: Pacific time, Midnight EST.

======================
Why?
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:46:36 PM

"nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in news:10a7sjlndos5e32
@corp.supernews.com:

> Any idea why they would do that? The duplicate channels appeared fairly
> recently.

My guess is so that the HD HBO and Showtime channels appear with the other
HBO and Showtime channels (one set of channels) and also with the other HD
channels (the other set).

This would make sense if you can receive the HBO and Showtime HD channels
by subscribing to the HBO and Showtime packages w/o subscribing to the HD
package and/or get HD and Showtime channels by subscribing to the HD
package w/o subscribing to the HD and/or Showtime packages. I haven't
checked - is that possible?
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:46:37 PM

Nope. Last I checked you get HBO HD and Showtime HD only with a
subscription to those services, and the other HD channels only with a
subscription to the HD package. In fact, I don't get the HD package and I
do get the redundant HBO and Showtime channels. I guessing (with no
knowledge on the subject whatsoever) that it amounts to a test run of the
transponders or some other technical aspect of the system before adding
service.

nielsdt

> "nielsdt" <fakeaddress@yahooo.com> wrote in news:10a7sjlndos5e32
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> > Any idea why they would do that? The duplicate channels appeared fairly
> > recently.
> >

> My guess is so that the HD HBO and Showtime channels appear with the other
> HBO and Showtime channels (one set of channels) and also with the other HD
> channels (the other set).
>
> This would make sense if you can receive the HBO and Showtime HD channels
> by subscribing to the HBO and Showtime packages w/o subscribing to the HD
> package and/or get HD and Showtime channels by subscribing to the HD
> package w/o subscribing to the HD and/or Showtime packages. I haven't
> checked - is that possible?

Anonymous
May 15, 2004 7:18:17 PM

nielsdt (fakeaddress@yahooo.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Nope. Last I checked you get HBO HD and Showtime HD only with a
> subscription to those services, and the other HD channels only with a
> subscription to the HD package. In fact, I don't get the HD package and I
> do get the redundant HBO and Showtime channels. I guessing (with no
> knowledge on the subject whatsoever) that it amounts to a test run of the
> transponders or some other technical aspect of the system before adding
> service.

You guess wrongly.

DirecTV sends the HBO-HD signal *once* over the satellite, but there are
two different channel mappings embedded in the guide data.

This is the same as the multiple copies of "DirecTV Sports This Week" or the
FreeView concert channel appears at 103 and in the 800s somewhere.

Similarly, locals that appear in the 900s on old receivers, but as the
correct local channel on new receivers are only sent once.

The reason that HBO-HD appears in both next to the HBO channels and next to
the HD channels is so that you can channel-hop through similar channels
more easily.

--
Jeff Rife | "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But
SPAM bait: | then you get to the end and a gorilla starts

It's Daylight Savings Time. There should be a feed for each Time Zone! Kids in
the Midwest can't even turn on the TV after 7 pm because every show on OTA local
Network TV is rated PG-13. I think the sub-13 year-olds' bedtimes would be at 8
pm! What happened to programming for kids? Wheel of Fortune? What a waste of
bandwidth! How about "Lost In Space" reruns between 7 and 8 pm?
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 10:55:44 PM

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:LErpc.37646$hY.23320@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> It's Daylight Savings Time. There should be a feed for each Time Zone!
> Kids in
> the Midwest can't even turn on the TV after 7 pm because every show on OTA
> local
> Network TV is rated PG-13. I think the sub-13 year-olds' bedtimes would be
> at 8
> pm! What happened to programming for kids? Wheel of Fortune? What a waste
> of
> bandwidth! How about "Lost In Space" reruns between 7 and 8 pm?

There's an incredible amount of kids programming on Direct TV all day and
all night. There's a whole section of kids channels. If I had kids I
wouldn't let them watch network television most of the time anyway.
!