Help I don't know what is happening

WB

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

I ran this tool RecreateDefpol.EXE to recreate my default domain and DC
policies now all my existing GPO's will not work nor will new ones that I
create, as anyone experienced this problem??

wayne

Why did you run the tool in the first place? What was/is the orginal problem
that you were trying to fix? Could you provide the exact errors that you
recieve when trying to create polices. Also are there userenv 1000 errors in
event viewer that reference your polices and if so can you provide the exact
errors you are seeing.

Finally verify that your sysvol directory is shared and take a look at
\\yourdomainanme\sysvol from any machine that is not recieving polices and
let us know what is in there.

Buz Brodin
MCSE NT4 / Win2K
Microsoft Enterprise Domain Support

newsgroup purposes only.

"WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
>I ran this tool RecreateDefpol.EXE to recreate my default domain and DC
> policies now all my existing GPO's will not work nor will new ones that I
> create, as anyone experienced this problem??
>
> wayne

WB

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

OK here is I am new to all of this and I think I've made a big mistake. The
reason I ran the tool was to recreate the policy, the policy was disabled
for some reason and no one could tell me why so I wanted to get back to the
default policy settings.

I've been working here for a short while and the domain is a mess. File
replication does not work so I have to copy policies I create from one
controller to another,. (It's a long story) My policies where working until
I ran the tool. the IT guy before me was a little bit of a 'cowboy' I am
not in work until Monday so will not be able to look in the event log until
then . I will also have a look at your suggestions

wayne

"Buz [MSFT]" <buzb@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why did you run the tool in the first place? What was/is the orginal
problem
> that you were trying to fix? Could you provide the exact errors that you
> recieve when trying to create polices. Also are there userenv 1000 errors
in
> event viewer that reference your polices and if so can you provide the
exact
> errors you are seeing.
>
> Finally verify that your sysvol directory is shared and take a look at
> \\yourdomainanme\sysvol from any machine that is not recieving polices and
> let us know what is in there.
>

> Buz Brodin
> MCSE NT4 / Win2K
> Microsoft Enterprise Domain Support

> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
>

> "WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I ran this tool RecreateDefpol.EXE to recreate my default domain and DC
> > policies now all my existing GPO's will not work nor will new ones that
> > create, as anyone experienced this problem??
> >
> > wayne

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Could your replication problems be due to them not seeing
each other in DNS? They should point to each other as
the preferred DNS's

Good luck, and HTH

Ken

and confers no rights.

>> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This
alias is for
>> newsgroup purposes only.
>>

>> "WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >I ran this tool RecreateDefpol.EXE to recreate my
default domain and DC
>> > policies now all my existing GPO's will not work nor
will new ones that
>> > create, as anyone experienced this problem??
>> >
>> > wayne

WB

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

Hi ken

I've managed to sort my GPO problem which was related to a mandatory profile
which I was using. With regard to 'File replication' it is not a DNS issue
as I've check that. both AD controllers can see each other via IP address
and FQDN

Wayne