Push-in Pin CPU fan, one prong split, Problematic?

thelastsaint

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I was installing the cpu fan that comes standard with the Conroe 6400 core 2 duo processor. I had to use quite a bit of force to get the insertion pins to go in. On the fourth prong, I believe I may have used to much force and split the insertion prong, with half of it in the hole properly, and the other half on the top half of the motherboard. Number one: Do you think it could have damaged my Motherboard? Number two: Barrring damage to the Mobo, do you think the fan will still cool the Processor properly and not cause me problems in the future?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
it might have damaged the mobo
next time BE CAREFUL AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
cpus should slide easily with no problem inside, unles you're triying to force it in the wrong way....
also the lock must be released when inserting-removing and lock set when the cpu is inside >_<

thelastsaint

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
It wasn't the CPU that I had a problem with, that went in without a hitch, it was the cooling fan it came packaged with that I'm worried about.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Possibly, and quite possibly. If you get heat problems(check in BIOS) replace the fan.

The other guy didn't read your post properly. You are talking fan pins, not CPU pins aren't you :roll:

thelastsaint

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Correct. I have a friend with a spare standard cooling fan, he'll give it to me should I need it. So what is safe operating or nominal operating temp for that particular processor, so I can see if it's cooling performace has been diminished?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Correct. I have a friend with a spare standard cooling fan, he'll give it to me should I need it. So what is safe operating or nominal operating temp for that particular processor, so I can see if it's cooling performace has been diminished?
I had the idea that the heatspreader-fan got stuck there (pulling the entire cpu and bending the stuff inside )
my mistake.. anyway... o_O

whoaru99

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007

I don't know what the temp normally runs, but I'd GUESS with the stock cooler probably around 40-45 if you are not under heavy load and OC'ed.

Without having all four legs of the cooler anchored properly, it would seem the cooler is not in optimum contact pressure to the CPU. So, I'd think there is a definite possibility of less cooling than could be obtained in a proper attachment.