Automating Printer Installation

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 30, 2004 1:44:37 AM

Printers is one issue that has dogged me as an administrator. I can automate
just about any other task except for this. Seems like there should be a way
to tell the GP that I want all PCs to use a certain printer(s). Is there?
This would be extremely useful to me.

Thanks,
Tim
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:44:38 AM

Autoprof makes a GP extension that allows this. Its part of their
PolicyMaker product. You can certainly map printers using vbscript--but it
doesn't handle installing the drivers if they're not there. Here's info on
the vbscript method:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management

"Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Printers is one issue that has dogged me as an administrator. I can
automate
> just about any other task except for this. Seems like there should be a
way
> to tell the GP that I want all PCs to use a certain printer(s). Is there?
> This would be extremely useful to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:23:34 PM

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting!

I found two KB articles about how to unattended install printer in Windows.

314486 How to Add Printers with No User Interaction in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314486

263226 How to Add a Default Printer Using a Visual Basic Script
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=263226

I hope that it is helpful. Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Re: Automating Printer Installation
| Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:54:12 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| Autoprof makes a GP extension that allows this. Its part of their
| PolicyMaker product. You can certainly map printers using vbscript--but it
| doesn't handle installing the drivers if they're not there. Here's info on
| the vbscript method:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
ml/wsmthaddwindowsprinterconnection.asp

| --
| Darren Mar-Elia
| MS-MVP-Windows Management
| http://www.gpoguy.com
|

| "Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message
| > Printers is one issue that has dogged me as an administrator. I can
| automate
| > just about any other task except for this. Seems like there should be a
| way
| > to tell the GP that I want all PCs to use a certain printer(s). Is
there?
| > This would be extremely useful to me.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Tim

Anonymous
August 3, 2004 2:29:16 AM

"Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<9deOc.4047$AY5.1712@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
> Printers is one issue that has dogged me as an administrator. I can automate
> just about any other task except for this. Seems like there should be a way
> to tell the GP that I want all PCs to use a certain printer(s). Is there?
> This would be extremely useful to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Anything you can do manually, you can automate with AutoIt

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

The forum is marvelous for help.

Lar.
!