Automating Printer Installation

Printers is one issue that has dogged me as an administrator. I can automate
just about any other task except for this. Seems like there should be a way
to tell the GP that I want all PCs to use a certain printer(s). Is there?
This would be extremely useful to me.

Thanks,
Tim
3 answers Last reply
More about automating printer installation

    Autoprof makes a GP extension that allows this. Its part of their
    PolicyMaker product. You can certainly map printers using vbscript--but it
    doesn't handle installing the drivers if they're not there. Here's info on
    the vbscript method:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/wsmthaddwindowsprinterconnection.asp

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Management

    "Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Printers is one issue that has dogged me as an administrator. I can
    automate
    > just about any other task except for this. Seems like there should be a
    way
    > to tell the GP that I want all PCs to use a certain printer(s). Is there?
    > This would be extremely useful to me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    Hi Tim,

    Thank you for posting!

    I found two KB articles about how to unattended install printer in Windows.

    314486 How to Add Printers with No User Interaction in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314486

    263226 How to Add a Default Printer Using a Visual Basic Script
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=263226

    I hope that it is helpful. Have a nice day!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | Subject: Re: Automating Printer Installation
    | Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:54:12 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    |
    | Autoprof makes a GP extension that allows this. Its part of their
    | PolicyMaker product. You can certainly map printers using vbscript--but it
    | doesn't handle installing the drivers if they're not there. Here's info on
    | the vbscript method:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/ht
    ml/wsmthaddwindowsprinterconnection.asp

    | --
    | Darren Mar-Elia
    | MS-MVP-Windows Management
    | http://www.gpoguy.com
    |

    | "Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | > Printers is one issue that has dogged me as an administrator. I can
    | automate
    | > just about any other task except for this. Seems like there should be a
    | way
    | > to tell the GP that I want all PCs to use a certain printer(s). Is
    there?
    | > This would be extremely useful to me.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | > Tim

    "Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<9deOc.4047$AY5.1712@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Printers is one issue that has dogged me as an administrator. I can automate
    > just about any other task except for this. Seems like there should be a way
    > to tell the GP that I want all PCs to use a certain printer(s). Is there?
    > This would be extremely useful to me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    Anything you can do manually, you can automate with AutoIt

    http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

    The forum is marvelous for help.

    Lar.

Policy Microsoft Printers Windows