game software boots on WinXP startup

February 9, 2005 12:07:06 PM

I have a pretty new PC with Win XP Home and a handful of game programs on it.
I don't know why one of the software programs (Lego Mindstorms) is a default
to boot up every time Windows has completed it's startup. In other words,
Lego Mindstorms programming main menu comes up every time I turn on my
computer. Where do I go to turn that off so I don't have the annoyance of
closing this software every time I start up?

Thanks
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:26:12 PM

Check in two places: first look in your Start menu, under Programs, in the
Startup folder. If you see the program in there, just delete it.

Another place it could be is in the registry, although I'm not sure how it
would have gotten in there. Fire up the registry editor (regedit.exe).
Look in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. If you see a
key in there referencing the program, delete it.

If you're not comfortable working in the registry (can be dangerous to play
in for the novice), or need more detailed instructions, just post back.

--LB

"Diane" <Diane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a pretty new PC with Win XP Home and a handful of game programs on
it.
> I don't know why one of the software programs (Lego Mindstorms) is a
default
> to boot up every time Windows has completed it's startup. In other words,
> Lego Mindstorms programming main menu comes up every time I turn on my
> computer. Where do I go to turn that off so I don't have the annoyance of
> closing this software every time I start up?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:04:19 PM

Start - Run - msconfig

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:26:12 -0800, "Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Check in two places: first look in your Start menu, under Programs, in the
>Startup folder. If you see the program in there, just delete it.
>
>Another place it could be is in the registry, although I'm not sure how it
>would have gotten in there. Fire up the registry editor (regedit.exe).
>Look in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. If you see a
>key in there referencing the program, delete it.
>
>If you're not comfortable working in the registry (can be dangerous to play
>in for the novice), or need more detailed instructions, just post back.
>
>--LB
>
>"Diane" <Diane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a pretty new PC with Win XP Home and a handful of game programs on
>it.
>> I don't know why one of the software programs (Lego Mindstorms) is a
>default
>> to boot up every time Windows has completed it's startup. In other words,
>> Lego Mindstorms programming main menu comes up every time I turn on my
>> computer. Where do I go to turn that off so I don't have the annoyance of
>> closing this software every time I start up?
>>
>> Thanks

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
February 9, 2005 6:57:25 PM

Also make sure you dont have the CD in your drive when you bootup. Autoplay
will sometimes start up the game.

"Diane" <Diane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a pretty new PC with Win XP Home and a handful of game programs on
>it.
> I don't know why one of the software programs (Lego Mindstorms) is a
> default
> to boot up every time Windows has completed it's startup. In other words,
> Lego Mindstorms programming main menu comes up every time I turn on my
> computer. Where do I go to turn that off so I don't have the annoyance of
> closing this software every time I start up?
>
> Thanks

February 9, 2005 8:41:31 PM

Diane Wrote:
> I have a pretty new PC with Win XP Home and a handful of game programs
> on it.
> I don't know why one of the software programs (Lego Mindstorms) is a
> default
> to boot up every time Windows has completed it's startup. In other
> words,
> Lego Mindstorms programming main menu comes up every time I turn on my
> computer. Where do I go to turn that off so I don't have the annoyance
> of
> closing this software every time I start up?
>
> Thanks

If you go to start>run> type in msconfig > startup it should bring a
list of whats starting up in there with tick boxes to choose what you
want booting up or not. If it's not obvious via the names (eg lego.exe)
then you could try going to somewhere like processlibrary.com and typing
in the names. It'll usually tell you what that specific program is.

--
Joey
February 10, 2005 2:28:56 AM

Go to 'start' then 'run' type msconfig then goto the startup tab - have a
look for anything in there that refers to the program and untick. When you
reboot you will get a message regerring to the ne configuration - just tick
'do not show this message again' and ok.

hopefully this should work - do not worry about changing anything in
msconfig - anything you change can be undone by running msconfig again then
ticking what you unticked.

!