Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Surround sound vs. TV speakers

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 5:28:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

After purchasing the Toshiba 57h83 last winter, I'm jonesin for some
surround sound with this thing. I've been looking around at some systems
and particularly some packages from BB (over $250 in giftcards from my
b-day, so I'm really only considering there right now), specifically a
1000tw system by Panasonic (selling for $499). If everything about it is as
advertised, specifically the "1000w total" meaning it can pack some punch,
then I am pretty much sold on this system. Unless someone directs me
otherwise.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=107762826273...

Now my question is, with a 260w center channel, and 260w sub, as comes with
this package, would those be better speakers than the ones built in to the
tv? The tv obviously gets great sound, but are these speakers going to be
(at least) similar or better? I guess the real question is, would it be
worth it to buy separate components, forgoing a center and sub, and possibly
get more bang for my buck? I'm not sure I would be able to get more bang for
the buck. A decent set of tower speakers (i figure 200w) for the front would
run minimum $150 ea, and more likely $200+, the receiver, rear speakers, and
lack of included dvd player (which wouldn't be purchased if I went this
route, but its nice to have) would more than make up the 100-200 dollar
difference, and I'm not sure I would be much better off. I'm not looking to
break the bank here. $600 is about my max.

Some questions...

Anyone have experience with Panasonic receivers/speakers in general or
specifically this product?

What did you decide when you were faced with this decision, individual
components or a packaged system?

Later on, if I decided to upgrade is it just a matter of getting a new set
of speakers? Or will the receiver not output any more watts than it was
made to work with these speakers?

Will there really ever be a need for an upgrade? I'm not an audiophile, and
it doesn't have to blow the doors off the house...just want it to sound good
and get loud when it should be loud.


Well there you have it, another long long post. Thanks for reading to the
end, and thanks in advance for all the help. Nobody here has failed me yet.

- Matt
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 5:28:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

1. Take all those power specs with a large grain of salt.
2. Power specs alone do not define the quality of a speaker or a
system.
3. There is a paucity of information about the actual speakers with
the main L/R undefined and the "Satellite Speakers 2-3/8" dome
tweeter, 2-1/2" woofer." A 2.5" woofer is an oxymoron.
4. There is insufficient information about the compatibility of these
components with others for that question to be addressed.
5. All that said, this is undoubtedly going to be superior to the
built-in TV speakers. As long as you like the way it sounds (You did
listen to it, didn't you?), you should be happy with it for the
foreseeable future unless you become an audiophile.

Kal



On Wed, 12 May 2004 01:28:33 GMT, "mr E" <jimmmmmmmm@jim.com> wrote:

>After purchasing the Toshiba 57h83 last winter, I'm jonesin for some
>surround sound with this thing. I've been looking around at some systems
>and particularly some packages from BB (over $250 in giftcards from my
>b-day, so I'm really only considering there right now), specifically a
>1000tw system by Panasonic (selling for $499). If everything about it is as
>advertised, specifically the "1000w total" meaning it can pack some punch,
>then I am pretty much sold on this system. Unless someone directs me
>otherwise.
>
>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=107762826273...
>
>Now my question is, with a 260w center channel, and 260w sub, as comes with
>this package, would those be better speakers than the ones built in to the
>tv? The tv obviously gets great sound, but are these speakers going to be
>(at least) similar or better? I guess the real question is, would it be
>worth it to buy separate components, forgoing a center and sub, and possibly
>get more bang for my buck? I'm not sure I would be able to get more bang for
>the buck. A decent set of tower speakers (i figure 200w) for the front would
>run minimum $150 ea, and more likely $200+, the receiver, rear speakers, and
>lack of included dvd player (which wouldn't be purchased if I went this
>route, but its nice to have) would more than make up the 100-200 dollar
>difference, and I'm not sure I would be much better off. I'm not looking to
>break the bank here. $600 is about my max.
>
>Some questions...
>
>Anyone have experience with Panasonic receivers/speakers in general or
>specifically this product?
>
>What did you decide when you were faced with this decision, individual
>components or a packaged system?
>
>Later on, if I decided to upgrade is it just a matter of getting a new set
>of speakers? Or will the receiver not output any more watts than it was
>made to work with these speakers?
>
>Will there really ever be a need for an upgrade? I'm not an audiophile, and
>it doesn't have to blow the doors off the house...just want it to sound good
>and get loud when it should be loud.
>
>
>Well there you have it, another long long post. Thanks for reading to the
>end, and thanks in advance for all the help. Nobody here has failed me yet.
>
>- Matt
>
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 5:28:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

mr E wrote:

Speakers, unless they are self-powered, don't really have watts. The
rating you quote is really a maximum power handling for the speaker and
says nothing of the sound quality you'll get. The number is meaningless.
Just as the 1,000 watts total power is somewhat skeptical from a HTIB.
For example, the HK AVR-230 puts out 6 channels of 50 Watts each into 8
ohms. That's 300 watts "total power", assuming all channels are driven
at full capacity and I bet it sounds worlds better than the Panny
system.

If you've taken the plunge, including the associated costs, into HD,
then I wouldn't blindly move to a HTIB system. I would definitely
suggest you go to your nearest AV shop (and not CC, Best Buy, etc.) and
get some professional assistance based on your budget. There a lot of
high-quality receivers you can get for under $400 from an authorized
dealer (the HK AVR-230 receiver comes to mind). Speakers are more
expensive, but there are great deals available from Energy, Paradigm,
and Definite Technology, and many other speaker companies. Or, you could
go with two full range speakers to start things off and work from there.
If you go full range, then a subwoofer won't be a necessity right away.

I guess my point is that for a $500 HTIB, you get what you pay for. It
will probably sound better than the built-in TV speakers, but is it
worth the $500 investment. Or would it be better to make a $1,000
investment for a more substantial system. Budgets tend to push us in one
direction or the other. I only suggest auditioning what's out there so
you can make an informed decision of what to do with your dollars.

--
David G.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 6:10:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

a follow up...more questions, that is...

after reading up on some of the specs of the system and what they mean, I
realize that I don't know anything about this topic. I did understand that
1000w or whatever it may be wasn't the whole story, but it would generally
give a broad idea of a unit's capabilities. Some of these questions are
probably better suited for alt.audio.equipment, but since I started the
thread here, I'll see if I get some responses. Thanks.

This unit has 10% THD. According to the guide I read, 0.1% is generally
considered acceptable. There is a big difference, but then again, the
numbers are so similar that it could just be a typo, or a different way of
saying it. Any ideas? Or am I reaching.

I also can't find any info on resistance (ohms) and frequency range (Hz) for
this unit online. Any resources available?

After searching some more, I realized panasonic.com doesn't have any mention
of this model. Any ideas?

Matt
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 6:35:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Yeah, figured as much with the specs. both panasonic.com and bestbuy.com
dont list much. As for listening, I have to go back to the store tomorrow
when I have more time, but I wanted to check it out today online for some
opinions. That will obviously be the final determination. Thanks for the
reply.

-Matt

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
news:o p13a0t43cjde1c6q26v5otdp3rphnt3ck@4ax.com...
> 1. Take all those power specs with a large grain of salt.
> 2. Power specs alone do not define the quality of a speaker or a
> system.
> 3. There is a paucity of information about the actual speakers with
> the main L/R undefined and the "Satellite Speakers 2-3/8" dome
> tweeter, 2-1/2" woofer." A 2.5" woofer is an oxymoron.
> 4. There is insufficient information about the compatibility of these
> components with others for that question to be addressed.
> 5. All that said, this is undoubtedly going to be superior to the
> built-in TV speakers. As long as you like the way it sounds (You did
> listen to it, didn't you?), you should be happy with it for the
> foreseeable future unless you become an audiophile.
>
> Kal
>
>
>
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 01:28:33 GMT, "mr E" <jimmmmmmmm@jim.com> wrote:
>
> >After purchasing the Toshiba 57h83 last winter, I'm jonesin for some
> >surround sound with this thing. I've been looking around at some systems
> >and particularly some packages from BB (over $250 in giftcards from my
> >b-day, so I'm really only considering there right now), specifically a
> >1000tw system by Panasonic (selling for $499). If everything about it is
as
> >advertised, specifically the "1000w total" meaning it can pack some
punch,
> >then I am pretty much sold on this system. Unless someone directs me
> >otherwise.
> >
>
>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=107762826273...
uctCategoryId=cat03010&type=product
> >
> >Now my question is, with a 260w center channel, and 260w sub, as comes
with
> >this package, would those be better speakers than the ones built in to
the
> >tv? The tv obviously gets great sound, but are these speakers going to
be
> >(at least) similar or better? I guess the real question is, would it be
> >worth it to buy separate components, forgoing a center and sub, and
possibly
> >get more bang for my buck? I'm not sure I would be able to get more bang
for
> >the buck. A decent set of tower speakers (i figure 200w) for the front
would
> >run minimum $150 ea, and more likely $200+, the receiver, rear speakers,
and
> >lack of included dvd player (which wouldn't be purchased if I went this
> >route, but its nice to have) would more than make up the 100-200 dollar
> >difference, and I'm not sure I would be much better off. I'm not looking
to
> >break the bank here. $600 is about my max.
> >
> >Some questions...
> >
> >Anyone have experience with Panasonic receivers/speakers in general or
> >specifically this product?
> >
> >What did you decide when you were faced with this decision, individual
> >components or a packaged system?
> >
> >Later on, if I decided to upgrade is it just a matter of getting a new
set
> >of speakers? Or will the receiver not output any more watts than it was
> >made to work with these speakers?
> >
> >Will there really ever be a need for an upgrade? I'm not an audiophile,
and
> >it doesn't have to blow the doors off the house...just want it to sound
good
> >and get loud when it should be loud.
> >
> >
> >Well there you have it, another long long post. Thanks for reading to
the
> >end, and thanks in advance for all the help. Nobody here has failed me
yet.
> >
> >- Matt
> >
>
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 2:47:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:10:37 +0000, mr E wrote:

> a follow up...more questions, that is...
>
> after reading up on some of the specs of the system and what they mean, I
> realize that I don't know anything about this topic. I did understand that
> 1000w or whatever it may be wasn't the whole story, but it would generally
> give a broad idea of a unit's capabilities. Some of these questions are
> probably better suited for alt.audio.equipment, but since I started the
> thread here, I'll see if I get some responses. Thanks.

True 1,000 watts RMS ouput would probably fry the wiring.... I always get
amused by the over-blown power specs. There used to be a 25 W amp that
could outperform amps advertising 200 watts/channel.... The only
different was that the makers of the 25W unit were honest in their specs,
whereas the rest of the industry made ludicrous statements.

>
> This unit has 10% THD. According to the guide I read, 0.1% is generally
> considered acceptable. There is a big difference, but then again, the
> numbers are so similar that it could just be a typo, or a different way of
> saying it. Any ideas? Or am I reaching.

10% THD means very audible distortion - on the order of a cheap transistor
radio, being driven too loud. 0.1% is on the threshhold of hearing for
most people.

> I also can't find any info on resistance (ohms) and frequency range (Hz) for
> this unit online. Any resources available?

Basically, get some guidance on how to listen to speakers and amps, then
follow it. Specs are far less important than sound.

Figure that at normal listening levels, your amp is putting out < 10
watts. Depending on speaker efficiency, 50 watts in a normal room is
deafening.... My 100w/channel system can produce levels of sound that are
uncomfortably loud to me.

--Kamus
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 4:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Mr E:

4 months after I purchased the Sony 34" HDTV set.....

I wanted Dolby Digital 5.1 or better with 3 Digital audio inputs....
while watching HD TV ... The Sound adds to viewing awareness
nicely!!

The Onkyo SR-501 receiver met my minimum requirements for $290
at Circuit City.. This unit tells you via the
501 readout what stereo, Dolby or DTS mode you are in... NICE
The Onkyo AV SR-501 is actually a Dolby 6.1 system..
at 65 Watts per Channel...

I feed both optical & coax digital Sound from my:
OTA HD tuner, Cable HD tuner, and Panny DVD progressive unit to
the Onkyo receiver...

I have 7 speakers: 3 new NHT's, 2 Sony, & 2 old Midlands..
Eventually I'll have all 7 NHTs: SW10ii, 1 SC2, & 5 SB3s...

When the AV 501 says Dolby Digital EX... The sound is superb
!!!!!

It took 5 hours to wire & set up 7 speakers (DD 6.1) via the
'Clicker'
uniform volume setting from the AVIA audio set up disk....




mr E wrote:
>
> After purchasing the Toshiba 57h83 last winter, I'm jonesin for some
> surround sound with this thing. I've been looking around at some systems
> and particularly some packages from BB (over $250 in giftcards from my
> b-day, so I'm really only considering there right now), specifically a
> 1000tw system by Panasonic (selling for $499). If everything about it is as
> advertised, specifically the "1000w total" meaning it can pack some punch,
> then I am pretty much sold on this system. Unless someone directs me
> otherwise.
>
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=107762826273...
>
> Now my question is, with a 260w center channel, and 260w sub, as comes with
> this package, would those be better speakers than the ones built in to the
> tv? The tv obviously gets great sound, but are these speakers going to be
> (at least) similar or better? I guess the real question is, would it be
> worth it to buy separate components, forgoing a center and sub, and possibly
> get more bang for my buck? I'm not sure I would be able to get more bang for
> the buck. A decent set of tower speakers (i figure 200w) for the front would
> run minimum $150 ea, and more likely $200+, the receiver, rear speakers, and
> lack of included dvd player (which wouldn't be purchased if I went this
> route, but its nice to have) would more than make up the 100-200 dollar
> difference, and I'm not sure I would be much better off. I'm not looking to
> break the bank here. $600 is about my max.
>
> Some questions...
>
> Anyone have experience with Panasonic receivers/speakers in general or
> specifically this product?
>
> What did you decide when you were faced with this decision, individual
> components or a packaged system?
>
> Later on, if I decided to upgrade is it just a matter of getting a new set
> of speakers? Or will the receiver not output any more watts than it was
> made to work with these speakers?
>
> Will there really ever be a need for an upgrade? I'm not an audiophile, and
> it doesn't have to blow the doors off the house...just want it to sound good
> and get loud when it should be loud.
>
> Well there you have it, another long long post. Thanks for reading to the
> end, and thanks in advance for all the help. Nobody here has failed me yet.
>
> - Matt
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:41:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:10:37 GMT, "mr E" <jimmmmmmmm@jim.com> wrote:

>This unit has 10% THD. According to the guide I read, 0.1% is generally
>considered acceptable. There is a big difference, but then again, the
>numbers are so similar that it could just be a typo, or a different way of
>saying it. Any ideas? Or am I reaching.

I doubt it is in error. 1000w at 0.1% would cost many times more for
the amps alone than this entire system.

>I also can't find any info on resistance (ohms) and frequency range (Hz) for
>this unit online. Any resources available?

I doubt you will find useful specs for such devices as this. It is
very cheap for what it does and the only relevant questions are (1)
does it do what you want, (2) do you like how it sounds and (3) can
you afford it?

Kal
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 7:41:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Here is my two cents.

In my living room I have a cheap set of KLH speakers (5.1) connected to a
Technics (Panasonic) receiver. The entire setup cost less than $500. I get
to enjoy Dolby digital sound with much better fidelity than from my
televisions built in speakers.

In my home theater I have more expensive speakers (7.1) connected to a
Yamaha receiver. Each of the 7 satellite speakers cost over $100 (which is
a lot considering that they are built into the walls and lack the fancy
cabinetry.) I do not recall how much the sub woofer was. The Yamaha
receiver blows the Technics receiver away in terms of features and
performance but costs more than my entire audio system in the living room.

Given the same source material can I tell the difference? Absolutely. The
only question is whether or not the difference is worth the extra $700-$800.
When I first watched a DVD in my home theater, I could not believe way I was
missing compared to the cheaper configuration in the living room. Now I
seldom even watch DVDs in the living room despite having a nice 36-inch TV
and Dolby Digital audio capability.

Bottom Line. You get what you pay for. An all in one system will introduce
you to the world of 5.1 which sounds way better than 2-channel stereo. A
component based system assembled as your budget permits will give you a much
better listening experience. The sound will be better however, the cost
will be higher as well.

"mr E" <jimmmmmmmm@jim.com> wrote in message
news:55foc.15911$UQ.846036@attbi_s51...
> After purchasing the Toshiba 57h83 last winter, I'm jonesin for some
> surround sound with this thing. I've been looking around at some systems
> and particularly some packages from BB (over $250 in giftcards from my
> b-day, so I'm really only considering there right now), specifically a
> 1000tw system by Panasonic (selling for $499). If everything about it is
as
> advertised, specifically the "1000w total" meaning it can pack some punch,
> then I am pretty much sold on this system. Unless someone directs me
> otherwise.
>
>
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=107762826273...
>
> Now my question is, with a 260w center channel, and 260w sub, as comes
with
> this package, would those be better speakers than the ones built in to the
> tv? The tv obviously gets great sound, but are these speakers going to be
> (at least) similar or better? I guess the real question is, would it be
> worth it to buy separate components, forgoing a center and sub, and
possibly
> get more bang for my buck? I'm not sure I would be able to get more bang
for
> the buck. A decent set of tower speakers (i figure 200w) for the front
would
> run minimum $150 ea, and more likely $200+, the receiver, rear speakers,
and
> lack of included dvd player (which wouldn't be purchased if I went this
> route, but its nice to have) would more than make up the 100-200 dollar
> difference, and I'm not sure I would be much better off. I'm not looking
to
> break the bank here. $600 is about my max.
>
> Some questions...
>
> Anyone have experience with Panasonic receivers/speakers in general or
> specifically this product?
>
> What did you decide when you were faced with this decision, individual
> components or a packaged system?
>
> Later on, if I decided to upgrade is it just a matter of getting a new set
> of speakers? Or will the receiver not output any more watts than it was
> made to work with these speakers?
>
> Will there really ever be a need for an upgrade? I'm not an audiophile,
and
> it doesn't have to blow the doors off the house...just want it to sound
good
> and get loud when it should be loud.
>
>
> Well there you have it, another long long post. Thanks for reading to the
> end, and thanks in advance for all the help. Nobody here has failed me
yet.
>
> - Matt
>
>
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 4:39:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Well, thanks for the info. Using some of the information I gleaned here, I
ended up getting a decent JBL 6.1 speaker package and a capable Yamaha
receiver. Decided that it was well worth it to have the added features and
upgradability of a stand-alone receiver and that the DVD player was not
necessary. Paid about 500 bucks, but I feel that it was a lot higher
quality than I was getting with an all-in-one system.

Thanks again for the help.

Matt

Oh, and just one more question, if I may. Its a simple one, so here goes.
To get true 6.1/5.1 surround sound, do you need the digital connection to
the audio receiver from the DVD player or HDTV receiver? I am planning on
getting optical cables pretty soon, but right now I am running the basic red
and white RCA style plugs. Am I getting actual 6.1 at a lower quality than
with digital cables, stereo mixed by the dolby pro-logic software to sound
6.1, or just your basic right and left spread across 6 speakers and a sub?
Just curious what the upgrade will be like when I get the optical cables.
And one final one: Optical cables are better (even slightly) than digital
co-ax, correct? since I have two inputs for optical, with two ources (DVD
and HDTV), and only one input for digital co-ax, I planned on optical...but
what is the difference there?


"Brian K. White" <nospam@foxfire74.com> wrote in message
news:h7Coc.5386$sA.2679@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> Here is my two cents.
>
> In my living room I have a cheap set of KLH speakers (5.1) connected to a
> Technics (Panasonic) receiver. The entire setup cost less than $500. I
get
> to enjoy Dolby digital sound with much better fidelity than from my
> televisions built in speakers.
>
> In my home theater I have more expensive speakers (7.1) connected to a
> Yamaha receiver. Each of the 7 satellite speakers cost over $100 (which
is
> a lot considering that they are built into the walls and lack the fancy
> cabinetry.) I do not recall how much the sub woofer was. The Yamaha
> receiver blows the Technics receiver away in terms of features and
> performance but costs more than my entire audio system in the living room.
>
> Given the same source material can I tell the difference? Absolutely.
The
> only question is whether or not the difference is worth the extra
$700-$800.
> When I first watched a DVD in my home theater, I could not believe way I
was
> missing compared to the cheaper configuration in the living room. Now I
> seldom even watch DVDs in the living room despite having a nice 36-inch TV
> and Dolby Digital audio capability.
>
> Bottom Line. You get what you pay for. An all in one system will
introduce
> you to the world of 5.1 which sounds way better than 2-channel stereo. A
> component based system assembled as your budget permits will give you a
much
> better listening experience. The sound will be better however, the cost
> will be higher as well.
>
> "mr E" <jimmmmmmmm@jim.com> wrote in message
> news:55foc.15911$UQ.846036@attbi_s51...
> > After purchasing the Toshiba 57h83 last winter, I'm jonesin for some
> > surround sound with this thing. I've been looking around at some
systems
> > and particularly some packages from BB (over $250 in giftcards from my
> > b-day, so I'm really only considering there right now), specifically a
> > 1000tw system by Panasonic (selling for $499). If everything about it is
> as
> > advertised, specifically the "1000w total" meaning it can pack some
punch,
> > then I am pretty much sold on this system. Unless someone directs me
> > otherwise.
> >
> >
>
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=107762826273...
> >
> > Now my question is, with a 260w center channel, and 260w sub, as comes
> with
> > this package, would those be better speakers than the ones built in to
the
> > tv? The tv obviously gets great sound, but are these speakers going to
be
> > (at least) similar or better? I guess the real question is, would it be
> > worth it to buy separate components, forgoing a center and sub, and
> possibly
> > get more bang for my buck? I'm not sure I would be able to get more bang
> for
> > the buck. A decent set of tower speakers (i figure 200w) for the front
> would
> > run minimum $150 ea, and more likely $200+, the receiver, rear speakers,
> and
> > lack of included dvd player (which wouldn't be purchased if I went this
> > route, but its nice to have) would more than make up the 100-200 dollar
> > difference, and I'm not sure I would be much better off. I'm not looking
> to
> > break the bank here. $600 is about my max.
> >
> > Some questions...
> >
> > Anyone have experience with Panasonic receivers/speakers in general or
> > specifically this product?
> >
> > What did you decide when you were faced with this decision, individual
> > components or a packaged system?
> >
> > Later on, if I decided to upgrade is it just a matter of getting a new
set
> > of speakers? Or will the receiver not output any more watts than it was
> > made to work with these speakers?
> >
> > Will there really ever be a need for an upgrade? I'm not an audiophile,
> and
> > it doesn't have to blow the doors off the house...just want it to sound
> good
> > and get loud when it should be loud.
> >
> >
> > Well there you have it, another long long post. Thanks for reading to
the
> > end, and thanks in advance for all the help. Nobody here has failed me
> yet.
> >
> > - Matt
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 4:39:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

mr E wrote:

To get Dolby Digital signals in any of its incarnations (1.0, 2.0, 3.1,
5.1, or 6.1-from DVDs), you must use an optical audio connection. This
means that the analog red/white audio outputs will not give you anything
but analog stereo (that can be processed with Dolby pro Logic II, DTS
Neo:6, etc.).

You need an optical cable or a digital coaxial cable. Both will do the
job, but coaxial audio cables are more durable and cheaper to purchase,
plus you can bend them without risk to the underlying plastic or glass
cores you find in optical cables. I use both because of limited
connections, but I prefer coax cables. A digital coax audio cable is the
same as the yellow video cables you probably have lying all around. If
you really want to save money, use those (although their quality is
suspect, I couldn't say if you'd hear a difference).

So you'll need at least two cables: One for the DVD player and one for
the HD receiver.

Good luck with the new system.


--
David G.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 1:30:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

awesome, all questions answered. thanks again.

Matt

"David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message
news:nvKdndM-tLwUszndRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> mr E wrote:
>
> To get Dolby Digital signals in any of its incarnations (1.0, 2.0, 3.1,
> 5.1, or 6.1-from DVDs), you must use an optical audio connection. This
> means that the analog red/white audio outputs will not give you anything
> but analog stereo (that can be processed with Dolby pro Logic II, DTS
> Neo:6, etc.).
>
> You need an optical cable or a digital coaxial cable. Both will do the
> job, but coaxial audio cables are more durable and cheaper to purchase,
> plus you can bend them without risk to the underlying plastic or glass
> cores you find in optical cables. I use both because of limited
> connections, but I prefer coax cables. A digital coax audio cable is the
> same as the yellow video cables you probably have lying all around. If
> you really want to save money, use those (although their quality is
> suspect, I couldn't say if you'd hear a difference).
>
> So you'll need at least two cables: One for the DVD player and one for
> the HD receiver.
>
> Good luck with the new system.
>
>
> --
> David G.
>
!