Deleteing redirected folders

Hello,

I am trying to delete the redirected My Documents folders of deleted
users. The users, who were atudents, have left but, of course, the My
Documents folders that have been redirected via a GPO to the network
still remain. I have set the permisions to Adminstrators, Creator
Owner & System to Full Controll, and Authenticated Users to the seting
recomended, and cleared the "grant Exclusive Access" box.
When I try and delete a folder I get \mydocs\username is not accesible
Access Denied.
I have tried taking ownoership and then reseting all permisions to
Full Controll for the administrator and then applyig these permisions
to subfolders, but I then get access errors and the permisions are not
reset on subfolders or files. I can however see the subfolders, and
can take ownership etc and evetualy delete the folder. This would be
fine for a couple of users, but I have 300 to delete. The anoying
thing is, we only use folder redirection as an emegergency for when
the users main network storatge area is not avaliable, so 99% of the
redirected folders are empty.

Thanks in adavnce.

John

P.S. If replying by email please send to jmilton@brit.croydon.sch.uk
and not the address above, thanks.

On 3 Aug 2004 06:22:02 -0700, decmate@blueyonder.co.uk (John Milton) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to delete the redirected My Documents folders of deleted
>users. The users, who were atudents, have left but, of course, the My
>Documents folders that have been redirected via a GPO to the network
>still remain. I have set the permisions to Adminstrators, Creator
>Owner & System to Full Controll, and Authenticated Users to the seting
>recomended, and cleared the "grant Exclusive Access" box.
>When I try and delete a folder I get \mydocs\username is not accesible
>Access Denied.
>I have tried taking ownoership and then reseting all permisions to
>Full Controll for the administrator and then applyig these permisions
>to subfolders, but I then get access errors and the permisions are not
>reset on subfolders or files. I can however see the subfolders, and
>can take ownership etc and evetualy delete the folder. This would be
>fine for a couple of users, but I have 300 to delete. The anoying
>thing is, we only use folder redirection as an emegergency for when
>the users main network storatge area is not avaliable, so 99% of the
>redirected folders are empty.
>
>Thanks in adavnce.
>
>John
>
>P.S. If replying by email please send to jmilton@brit.croydon.sch.uk
>and not the address above, thanks.

By default, unless you implement tip 3471 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com, A redirected user folder gves ownership of the folder to
the user.
Sets the following ACLs on it:
User: Full Control
Local System: Full Control
Prevents inheritance of ACLs from the parent folder.

Since the Local System has full control, create a delit.bat
file to RD it and use the AT command to schedule it
about 2 minutes in the future.

Also, if you have subinacl (get it from tip 6705), see tip 5533.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com