Deleteing redirected folders

Hello,

I am trying to delete the redirected My Documents folders of deleted
users. The users, who were atudents, have left but, of course, the My
Documents folders that have been redirected via a GPO to the network
still remain. I have set the permisions to Adminstrators, Creator
Owner & System to Full Controll, and Authenticated Users to the seting
recomended, and cleared the "grant Exclusive Access" box.
When I try and delete a folder I get \mydocs\username is not accesible
Access Denied.
I have tried taking ownoership and then reseting all permisions to
Full Controll for the administrator and then applyig these permisions
to subfolders, but I then get access errors and the permisions are not
reset on subfolders or files. I can however see the subfolders, and
can take ownership etc and evetualy delete the folder. This would be
fine for a couple of users, but I have 300 to delete. The anoying
thing is, we only use folder redirection as an emegergency for when
the users main network storatge area is not avaliable, so 99% of the
redirected folders are empty.

Thanks in adavnce.

John

P.S. If replying by email please send to jmilton@brit.croydon.sch.uk
and not the address above, thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about deleteing redirected folders

    On 3 Aug 2004 06:22:02 -0700, decmate@blueyonder.co.uk (John Milton) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am trying to delete the redirected My Documents folders of deleted
    >users. The users, who were atudents, have left but, of course, the My
    >Documents folders that have been redirected via a GPO to the network
    >still remain. I have set the permisions to Adminstrators, Creator
    >Owner & System to Full Controll, and Authenticated Users to the seting
    >recomended, and cleared the "grant Exclusive Access" box.
    >When I try and delete a folder I get \mydocs\username is not accesible
    >Access Denied.
    >I have tried taking ownoership and then reseting all permisions to
    >Full Controll for the administrator and then applyig these permisions
    >to subfolders, but I then get access errors and the permisions are not
    >reset on subfolders or files. I can however see the subfolders, and
    >can take ownership etc and evetualy delete the folder. This would be
    >fine for a couple of users, but I have 300 to delete. The anoying
    >thing is, we only use folder redirection as an emegergency for when
    >the users main network storatge area is not avaliable, so 99% of the
    >redirected folders are empty.
    >
    >Thanks in adavnce.
    >
    >John
    >
    >P.S. If replying by email please send to jmilton@brit.croydon.sch.uk
    >and not the address above, thanks.

    By default, unless you implement tip 3471 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    http://www.jsiinc.com, A redirected user folder gves ownership of the folder to
    the user.
    Sets the following ACLs on it:
    User: Full Control
    Local System: Full Control
    Prevents inheritance of ACLs from the parent folder.

    Since the Local System has full control, create a delit.bat
    file to RD it and use the AT command to schedule it
    about 2 minutes in the future.

    Also, if you have subinacl (get it from tip 6705), see tip 5533.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com